S.O.T.D. w/c Saturday 17th - Friday 23rd August 2013

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: DR Harris Windsor
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Razor: Weber Polished/Bulldog
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum/Indian (2)
EdT: DR Harris Windsor

Excellent shave. Close, comfortable and refreshing. The Indian 7 O'Clock blades may be moving to the top of my list!

Musgo Real glyce classic soap
Digress HD B / 7 Yellow
Culmak Style Butterscotch 20mm Finest
Martin de Candre Fougère
Proraso Green A/S
YSL Kouros

Look at my shiny knob…oops sorry, wrong forum :icon_redface:

A very different balance to a standard progress as is to be expected, so looking forward to trying a few different blades in the digress to mix and match for my tastes, but the 7 yellow with one shave on the clock was a pretty sweet start.

Monday:
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush
T&H Rose Shaving Cream

Bottled it. Beard lasted 22 days (10 days short of my PB) . I have a Goatee / Tache which I believe the hep cats nowadays refer to as a 'Circle Beard'.

For all her moaning about it, it took the missus 30 minutes to notice!!!

The good news is my Tache should be back to, or even surpass its former glory by Movember.

Gillette Sensor Excel (1)
Muhle Silvertip Fibre, v1
Palmolive Classic stick
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

I brought along a Sensor Excel cartridge to compare directly against a Sensor cartridge; the 'fins' seem to make the cartridge tug and liable to the old fly-mo technique. No closer than the Sensor. I'll persevere with it and see whether the opinion changes over uses.

Palmolive sticks are wonderful.

iKon Slant / Weber Bulldog Handle
Feather
KMF Patchouli Shave Cream
Vulfix Super Badger
Yoresh Scuttle
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Bowling Greene After Shave

An incredibly comfortable shave with the new iKon Slant head.

Prep: Village Barber oil
Soap: Soap Opera - Himalaya
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 - 2 Band Super
Razor: Fatboy (5)

Nice irritation free shave, should've loaded the soap for a bit longer though.

Monday morning

Gillette face wash
3P prep
Kent BK2 brush
Body shop Macca root cream
Gillette aristocrat #66
Sputnik blade (3)
Alum and witch hazel gel
Selin lemon after shave

Nice shave

merkur hd
english wilkinson sword
semogue oc 2 band
stirling barbershop shaving soap
tabac AS

excellent shave. switched my stirling soap tonight as im finding the scots pine scent a bit much for me, the barbershop scent is fantastic though and again the skincare of this soap is top notch.

Evening Gents

Bulldog Face wash
Proraso green pre shave
Queen Charlotte Vostok
NFB Super Badger
Futur (4) - personna (3)
3 passes plus touch up
Touch of the Proraso pre shave again followed by Proraso ASB.

My face is still frozen!!

First time using the Vostok, it only arrived today and I thought I'd give it a try. Took some time to build a lather, looks like I will need to use more product than normal or the puck might just need breaking in. Certainly lived up to its reputation for chilling the face.

Blade started to tug a little on the final pass so I think this one has served it's time.

Enjoy the rest of the evening.

MONDAY EVENING

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Weber ARC head with UFO Godzilla handle
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Frank Purtech
Soap: Klar Kabinett - suribachi lathered
After: Witch hazel with Proraso balm

Have had some crap shaves recently. Not sure if I've been subconsciously applying too much pressure but I seem to have been leaking claret for England.

Concentrated on a light touch tonight and the results were much better.

Will also be shaving daily now as I'm back at work for a week. Maybe that will toughen my skin up\improve my technique.

Will also be venturing into injector land later this week after my chicks (Chinese Schicks) turned up.

Tuesday 20th August

On Monday, my NEW long comb arrived from our very own IanM. I decided Monday night shave would be my first with this great looking, and feeling razor.

Prep: Shower
Brush: Semogue OC in Cherry
Soap: Proraso Red in tub- suribachi lathered then face lathered.
Razor: NEW LC
Blade: Polsilver stainless (2)

Firstly, the lather. After recent threads regarding Steve Woodhead's bowls/scuttles etc., I decided to give my suribachi a go again after face lathering for a long time. Today was my 3rd use of it, and likely to be my last. I've been able to build a good lather in the bowl, but when it comes to transferring it to my face its a nightmare to get it to 'stay' on my face, if that makes sense. Almost as if as I lather one part then move to another part on my face the lather is just thin and weak, and sort of picked up by the brush again. Today I decided enough is enough and rinsed it off and started again face lathering, and had a much better result, with a thick and creamy lather which was plenty for 3-4 passes I'd imagine.

Went with 2 ATG passes as usual, and have to say I'm very impressed with this razor. The head is nice and weighty, and feels very nice and solid, and is easy to use. It shaves very smoothly, especially with this blade. I think I was a bit over exuberant as I ended up with a touch of redness on my upper lip, and a small weeper on my jawline near my chin, which stopped with the cold water. First impressions are good, and if I take a bit more care then I can eliminate the bad parts and this will be a fantastic razor, dare I say better than my EJ? That's yet to see, but it's a great razor and I'm very happy with my latest acquisition.

Oh, a word on the Proraso. When I received it and gave it a test lather, I didn't like the scent, but having used it properly it's really grown on me, and is as good a performer as both the green and white tub I have.

Cheers for reading my ramblings!

Alex

Tuesday Morning

Shower
Body Shop Macca Root shave Cream
MenU bristle brush (face lather)
EJ DE89
Shark SS(5)
3rd pass (ATG) with Lush Dirty shave cream
Cold water splash
Alum
Avon Extreme AS balm

6 shaves.. not bad, but the shark blade is now getting rather tuggy, time for a new one methinks.
Shave as OK actually.

Back
Top Bottom