Salvaging MWF

pjgh said:
Put the lot into a plastic bag and use the heat of your hands to squeeze and mould it into a sausage shape. Now, freeze it. The heat should get the fats just melted and moved around. Once frozen, just let it defrost a little and grate it. Press the shavings down with your thumbs into whatever bowl and fingers crossed ...

Thanks Paul: You mean grate it for a second time? If so how is that different to what I did the first time?
I think the problem is that the gratings don't set back into a block again.

Heat ...

You use your body heat to just melt the fat while forming that sausage, the freezing then firms it up and then pressing in with your thumbs gets the fats moving again. Maybe you need warmer hands? :D

Another idea ...

Double boiler. Drop the lot into a Pyrex dish and place it over a pan of boiling water. This will take some time now, but keep stirring it until it's all melted. Stir well and pour back into your bowl.

Both methods have worked for me, the latter blending a dud soap with a good one and the former pushing a crumbling soap into a fresh jar.

Just a quick update.

I read everyone's advice (thanks everyone) and decided to try remelting it slightly. I put the MWF, still in its dish, in a saucepan of water and heated the water to just before boiling point. I then left it for about 5 mins off the heat.
The soap didn't visibly melt but had softened and I could press it down with little effort.
I then let it to cool naturally.

This morning's shave with it was just like using the original MWF so I'm pleased with the results.

Nice one :icon_smile:

Back
Top Bottom