Saving time with bath shaving

For years I shaved in the bath with cheap disposable razors using only glycerin soap as a lubricant. Eventually I decided that I didn't like the price or aesthetics of using plastic disposables, so I bought a Rockwell 6S (great razor!) and started shaving with the full kit (brush, cream etc) in front of a mirror after my bath. That took a lot longer than bath shaving by feel with no mirror and only soap as a lube, so I ended up avoiding shaving, usually shaving once a week. I missed having a smooth face every day though :(

6S_Transparent_3-min_400x.jpg

Today I thought "to hell with it" and took my Rockwell into the bath, used Pears Transparent glycerin soap again, and no mirror, just by feel. Result: a really quick, no fuss no nonsense BBS shave. No brush, no expensive creams.

Pears-Pure-Gentle-Soap-1480935867-10029412.jpg

I keep the razor in a little capped glass jar containing ispropyl alcohol to stop rust on the blade.

isopropyl_alcohol_img.jpg

Works for me, and this could be a time saver for other people who get impatient with the shaving ritual.

It's great that it works for you and we must do what we feel is right for ourselves and not because someone else thinks it's right.
For me I find having a shower every day, maybe twice in the summer is far quicker than running a bath and washing in the bath leaving me enough time to have my shave at the sink in front of a mirror but as I said.......whatever floats your boat is good with me :) P.

Last edited:
Baths have their advantages. I have a pelvic pain condition that requires hot baths, known as "sitz baths". If you have a stressful job, then a bath is useful as well for relaxing in a way a shower won't do. My shaved hairs go into a little jug, not the bath.

Regarding water usage, the average bath uses 36 gallons (136 litres) to fill a tub, while the average shower (without the water-saving device) uses five gallons (19 litres) of water per minute, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Most showers last at least 7 minutes, so 133 litres, making it a toss-up. Many people shower for much longer, some less.

7 Surprising Reasons Baths Are Better For Your Health Than Showers

Modern Pears soap is cheap garbage with sodium lauryl sulfate. There are better products out there. I use glycerine soap from Waitrose. I have around 50 bars of the original Pears soap in storage :). I also have two brands from Spain to try.

LN_081684_BP_3.jpg

I have over 200 bars of Pears, bought at a very special price in bulk. I would not call it "garbage" ... it is the only easily-available soap that does not make my skin itch. It also works just as well as a shaving cream to lube the shave.

Sodium laurel sulphate is harmless when used in a soap.

Three of the seven reasons are that baths are good for de-stressing, one mentions that baths are as effective as showers if you're not dirty or sweaty, and another mentions that the steam opens your pores which is total bunk as pores do not open and close.

I enjoy a bath myself, but that article's not very well written.

Last edited:
I have over 200 bars of Pears, bought at a very special price in bulk. I would not call it "garbage" ... it is the only easily-available soap that does not make my skin itch. It also works just as well as a shaving cream to lube the shave.

Sodium laurel sulphate is harmless when used in a soap.
The Pears soap that retails at 70p or at discounters and market stalls for a lot less?

It's strange that SLS gives me contact dermatitis.

The Pears soap that retails at 70p or at discounters and market stalls for a lot less?

It's strange that SLS gives me contact dermatitis.
It gives me spots too. Best thing I ever did was ditch shower gels for good old fashioned soap made to a traditional formula

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Sorry but I have to add to the chorus of Pears haters. Its simply not what it used to be, manufactured with an entirely different method, using entirely different ingredients... All that remains is the familiar appearance. I bought a bar late last year, first time I'd used it since childhood and it was so poor I threw it away after three uses.

As to the OP, when I shaved with a Mach3 and canned goo I sometimes did so in the bath yes, not sure why just did... Wouldn't dream of it now but whatever works for you.

My local hippy type shop sells some fantastic locally made natural soaps that I use in the shower (and a glycerine & lavender soap that I use as a pre-shave) that are really cheap but I still love a bit of Lynx Dark Temptation shower gel.

Pears Transparent Soap has a 4.4/5 stars review average on Amazon, from 451 reviewers. Here at theshavingroom it gets a universal thumbs down. Go figure.

But nobody here disagrees that baths are more relaxing, surprisingly.

Back
Top Bottom