SAW 24TH-31ST SAPONOFICIO VARESSIMO

"PICTURE HEAVY SORRY"
Morning all...here goes my thoughts of Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Edition Soap.
I am by no means an expert in any of this shaving lark but lets go.

Packaging: The soap tin is very attractive being an all metal affair with a very ornate lid to the soap which itself comes in a plastic container to protect it a little.
20160125_083223.jpg

Soap: The soap is a triple milled hard soap..very hard indeed and was loose in the metal tin when i received it.
The scent of the soap comes across to me as a very expensive and lush scent..seems floral and citrus to my nose.
Sorry not very good at explaining the fragrance.
piramide-olfattiva-ANNIVERSARIO-soap_1.jpg

Here is the link explaining more on the scent>>>http://www.saponificiovaresino.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24_35&products_id=128
I bloomed the soap for a few minutes to soften the puck up before lathering it up with the Shavemac LE Xmas Brush.Loaded the brush for about 30 seconds.
The soap feels very slick to me with some cushioning on my face,it does not dry out on the face to quick either which i liked.
20160125_083447.jpg

20160125_083507.jpg

Picture of the loaded brush.
20160125_083836.jpg

And after face lathering.
20160125_084134.jpg

I managed to do three of the usual passes with the amount of soap that was loaded onto the brush and there was room still for one more easily.
Conclusion:
It was a cracking shave for me with no irritation/cushioning/slickness from a great soap.
Finished it off with the Aftershave which is more like a balm but none the less very soothing and enjoyable.
Thanks for reading sorry for the amount of pictures :eek:

20160125_090038.jpg

20160125_090130.jpg
Great review Mikey. Have you tried any other SV? Any favourites?

Hmm... may have to revisit this - I do love the tin. However when I was using the sample (Shavedash - obvs.) around xmas time *whispers* I wasn't overly impressed. That said, it's my birthday next month - so best I give it another whirl!!!
Try the MdS as well highly recommend it.

Dolomiti for me today. My sample is pressed into a fairly small pot, which called for a small brush - the Omega 'mixed midget' 11047. Razor and blade: 37c slant + new Personna platinum chrome.
I bloomed the sample (which I've used before); it has a nice scent - I could definitely detect some citrus and something woody; very easy to lather. I didn't find the soap thirsty but then I started with a very wet brush :D
Nice slickness. The Dolomitic silt is supposed to tighten the skin for a closer shave, although I can't say I noticed.
A decent shave; not a hint of dryness.
MdS next.

ATT R2 Kronos
Shavemac LE Anchor
SV MdS
Proraso a/s

Not the best shave to be honest and it was definitely the soap and perhaps my sensitive skin after experimenting with the blackbird. But not a huge amount of cushion. Great scent and good slickness but needs cushion. May hit it with the Omega boar tomorrow and bowl lather. Enjoyed every moment of the brush on my face.

Hi, @Nishy, this is a Felce Aromatica in its original aluminium (extrusion not machined ;-D) can. I just have own this one.
Today's foam has a little bit body than yesterday. Maybe the brush, finest badger, and the load, more twirls over the wet soap, have anything to do with that.
It's a good soap, well rounded: bright, cushion, glidding, lathering with ease and the scent is good for a shaving soap (as far as I dislike the desserts scents trend -chocolate bourbon, tiramissu, vanilla, strawberries fields...:)))
This is the first pass foam. I see many bubbles. In the face the foam sticks to the surface without lose any consistency. Is easy to shave with it. Even when the razor use to left a track, cause is a false open comb, the feeling is that the soap is fair to aim the purpose.

IMG_20160126_072012655_HDR_zpsrwpye8fx.jpg

This is the second pass foam kept in the razor head. There's many bubbles yet, but kept the stability along the shave. It's OK. Today I smell less the green scent of this fern (some people say this is not a real fern).

IMG_20160126_072608992_HDR_zpsf3qh1jkf.jpg

Yesterday I left this one with the former (NSS Lavender) both opened over a furniture in my tiny home desk, where I work from the computer. After a while outside home, desk have been abducted by lavender and there was no fern trace at all. NSS scents is stronger than this, at least the can I got.

Hi, @Nishy, this is a Felce Aromatica in its original aluminium (extrusion not machined ;-D) can. I just have own this one.
Today's foam has a little bit body than yesterday. Maybe the brush, finest badger, and the load, more twirls over the wet soap, have anything to do with that.
It's a good soap, well rounded: bright, cushion, glidding, lathering with ease and the scent is good for a shaving soap (as far as I dislike the desserts scents trend -chocolate bourbon, tiramissu, vanilla, strawberries fields...:)))
This is the first pass foam. I see many bubbles. In the face the foam sticks to the surface without lose any consistency. Is easy to shave with it. Even when the razor use to left a track, cause is a false open comb, the feeling is that the soap is fair to aim the purpose.

IMG_20160126_072012655_HDR_zpsrwpye8fx.jpg

This is the second pass foam kept in the razor head. There's many bubbles yet, but kept the stability along the shave. It's OK. Today I smell less the green scent of this fern (some people say this is not a real fern).

IMG_20160126_072608992_HDR_zpsf3qh1jkf.jpg

Yesterday I left this one with the former (NSS Lavender) both opened over a furniture in my tiny home desk, where I work from the computer. After a while outside home, desk have been abducted by lavender and there was no fern trace at all. NSS scents is stronger than this, at least the can I got.
Great review Thalasos. MdS definitely has quite a strong scent. Cushion is certainly lacking though. I will try it with my finest and a boar brush tonight, hopefully with better results.

Pre: S.M.Novella pre-shave cream
Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Felce Aromatica
Brush: Muhle 23mm Kosmo synthetic
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Razor: Merkur Progress @3 + Gillette Silver Blue (1)

With daily use I'm discovering some constants about this soap. The lather never really explodes into a thick creamy mass which would give protection and cushion. It creates a sticky film on the lather bowl surface and also against my skin. Although this film adheres well to the skin to give residual slickness the actual glide isn't there. The razor kind of sticks into the film without gliding across. It feels slightly like glue so the razor doesn't feel as smooth and comfortable as I'd like. Adding more water help lubrication but reduces the protection.
I tried using the Progress on a mild 2 setting but it wasn't getting through the film. Setting 3 did. I'll go back to pre-shave oil tomorrow which may help stop such adhesion.

In the end I had an acceptable close shave but I attribute that to the qualities of the razor rather than the soap. Post shave my skin feels a little taut and sticky. I don't think this soap is for me.

Well, this morning I decided that to give SV 70th another whirl. It was a 10g sample which is living in a Le Creuset mini-casserole pot (TKMaxx get them in now and again - about £6). Got the tap running and covered the soap with water, filled sink soaked brush (Commodore X1 BB) and had a wash. Emptied water out of pot and swirled with a damp brush for a count of 30. I admit this was probably a bit excessive and it was deffo starting to lather up in the pot. Went onto the wet face and it was up and running immediately. Very thick and shiny and a good 2 passes with ease. I'll probably keep using it for the rest of the week and if all goes well – I may have to buy some (cheapest place with postage anyone?).

The only downside was scent or lack of, although this may be because it was only a small sample and so you don't get that initial hit when you take the lid off a full pot.

Of course if I do buy this – one in one out, I then have to decide what is going….

Back
Top Bottom