Scouting

People sometimes ask why I volunteer so much time to Scouting.

Today is a prime example. I just had an email from a parent. Her two boys are in my Cub Pack, one is 10 the other 8. The other evening her soup maker exploded showering her with boiling hot soup. The boys knew exactly what to do thanks to our Emergency (first aid) training. They checked the area was safe for them, put her hand and arms under the tap, switched off the electric, rang for help and helped keep her calm. She has second degree burns of her hands and arms and can't even drive.

So proud of them and so pleased they listened. Please also doing what I do makes a difference.

Yes I know that light bulb moment, know it well, excellent.

Your right about relationships though. Never came across that but it, in my opinion is wrong. The training officer if older is in a position of trust, even though it may be legally ok, there is still that position of trust.

Well done though you have done time to which is never a bad thing. They say on scouting you join for the kids and leave because of the adults.

my boy has started on the journey - beavers

not enough credit is given to adults who help run these organisations for little or no reward

Al H said:

not enough credit is given to adults who help run these organisations for little or no reward

Ahh but today is an example of the rewards. Just knowing you made a difference, you can't put a sum on that. Seeing them overcome fears, that moment then the light goes on in their mind, they all add up. Also hearing "KAA" , (my scouting name), being shouted out while your in Tesco.

I really hope your son has a load of fun, some great experiences and sticks with it.

I train new technicians for the RAF, I can spot trainees who have been in Cadets/Scouts a mile off. They are generally more independent and mature.

Well done you men who volunteer, it really does help to prepare young people for the real world.

I did Sea Scouts up until 15 or so. It was great. We went sailing on the coast and spent a week on HMS Bristol each year - and it barely cost our parents anything.there were a few of us who stayed on to the same age and were at the same school. I've good memories of the summer we left: they let the 5 of us take a load of Dories, kayaks and lots of beer 20 miles up the canal to a campsite and lake.

I'll happily investigate when I have kids at that age...

Pig Cat said:
My older son was a beaver and is now a cub. He gets so much out of it and I try to show my appreciation to the leaders as much as possible.

I get a few parents who always say thank you at the end of each meeting, and a few cubs who do the same too. A thank you speaks volumes.

Burgundy said:
I did Sea Scouts up until 15 or so. It was great. We went sailing on the coast and spent a week on HMS Bristol each year - and it barely cost our parents anything.there were a few of us who stayed on to the same age and were at the same school. I've good memories of the summer we left: they let the 5 of us take a load of Dories, kayaks and lots of beer 20 miles up the canal to a campsite and lake.

I'll happily investigate when I have kids at that age...

Once piece of advice, anyone wishing to get their kids. Into Scouting get them down for it at an early age, I always suggest two ! I know they can't start for a few years, but some waiting lists in some, groups are very long. In fact so long if you don't get them on awaiting list they may never get the chance. Hard to believe ? No in some places the lists are massive. Take our town, two beaver groups, four cub packs, two scout groups and one explorer. Simply not enough leaders.

I'm sure that most parents are appreciative of the amount their kids get out of scouting, and of the time and hard work the leaders/helpers put in. A small minority do seem to use it as another babysitter though, from what I can tell.

And yes, there are not enough groups around these days. I'm told that my younger son, even though he has priority due to his brother being already a cub, is on a waiting list for beavers. He might not be able to start straight away. He's six in March and I know he would really enjoy himself so I do hope he gets a place.

Pig Cat said:
I'm sure that most parents are appreciative of the amount their kids get out of scouting, and of the time and hard work the leaders/helpers put in. A small minority do seem to use it as another babysitter though, from what I can tell.

And yes, there are not enough groups around these days. I'm told that my younger son, even though he has priority due to his brother being already a cub, is on a waiting list for beavers. He might not be able to start straight away. He's six in March and I know he would really enjoy himself so I do hope he gets a place.

That's right siblings do get priority. Great to see a sibling joining in, as a leader it indicates that your getting it right. I'm sure he will get in and have some great fun.

Your quite right some do use it as a baby sitting facility, that's just life, best not to dwelled on that. In the main though most parents are excellent and very supportive. A lot of them have different skills that we can sometimes use as well as having good contacts.

Another problem as well as shortage of leaders is suitable places to Run meetings. Of our two groups only one have their own HQ. The other uses a school hall. The school hall group don't get charged anything and the school sponsor us, allowing us we have their hall four evenings a week. It means we have what must be the cheapest subs at £20 a term in the U.K.

I get a lot out of it. I'm a cub leader, assistant scout leader and a training advisor for adults. I've learnt a lot, taking part in different courses eye. It's given me bushcraft skills, first aid certificates and a British Small Bore Rifle cert too.

NS I'm getting intrigued by scouts now, I have a lot to offer in the way of experience, teaching qualifications and I'm DBS checked.

I'll have to have a look on t'internet.

BigBoar said:
NS I'm getting intrigued by scouts now, I have a lot to offer in the way of experience, teaching qualifications and I'm DBS checked.

I'll have to have a look on t'internet.

Find your local group, contact them and they can arrange perhaps a visit. You can go for leadership or just a helper. The scout site is a good starting place and there are links to find your closest group.

You can do as much training as you like, training is free. My air gun instructor was paid for, as was my bushcraft course. I'm fully trained and have my wood beads.

Keep in touch if you do go for it.

joe mcclaine said:
Al H said:

Nice one.

My lad started with Beavers and then did a bit with Cubs. Some of his mates stayed all the way to Scouts.

That was at the same time as I started as an adult instructor with the Air Cadets. I wanted to help the same sort of kids but away from his own group as I thought it might be awkward / embarrassing for him to have his owd man hanging about.

It's something I might consider going back to (Scouts) in the near future.

id love to help sometimes but i really dont have the time

embarrassing when they ask for volunteers for some events

In my youth I was a Cub and a Scout. In my younger adult days I was a Cub Leader and a Scout Master. I think Scouting, be it for either boys or girls, is a tremendous institution, which teaches important and essential life skills, self-sufficiency and civic responsibility. Moreover, I found it just plain good clean fun and looked forward to meetings, hikes, camping trips, working on merit badges and jamborees. It's too bad that the Scouting movement is somewhat of a backwater today; it deserves to have its place in the sun again.

Rufus said:
In my youth I was a Cub and a Scout. In my younger adult days I was a Cub Leader and a Scout Master. I think Scouting, be it for either boys or girls, is a tremendous institution, which teaches important and essential life skills, self-sufficiency and civic responsibility. Moreover, I found it just plain good clean fun and looked forward to meetings, hikes, camping trips, working on merit badges and jamborees. It's too bad that the Scouting movement is somewhat of a backwater today; it deserves to have its place in the sun again.

Not too sure of the Canadian Scouting scene. Must be fun camping in Canada, what with bears and extreme cold in the winter.

It's is good fun. This year, I've completed my Small Bore Rifle Instructors Cert, flown in a two seater light air plane, completed a mile swim, walked for miles, camped several times and the best bit I have given out something like 300 badges which they have earned. And of course I've enjoyed the company of the Young People and fellow leaders. All down to Scouting.

Back
Top Bottom