Scuttle/soap holder.

Hello people, I had a great find in the charity shop today. I'm not sure if its a scuttle or not, but either way it is for wet shaving, and only cost me a pound.

You fill it with hot water through a spout, and on top your hard soap goes, and there is holes for excess to drop into the water below. You wouldn't make a lather on this, its just for brush loading and soaking your brush, as it had a large opening to pour water in .

Heres a picture incase someone knows what it is called, I'm well happy with it for a £1.

q7eDh7nl.jpg

conanthewarrior said:
Hello people, I had a great find in the charity shop today. I'm not sure if its a scuttle or not, but either way it is for wet shaving, and only cost me a pound.

You fill it with hot water through a spout, and on top your hard soap goes, and there is holes for excess to drop into the water below. You wouldn't make a lather on this, its just for brush loading and soaking your brush, as it had a large opening to pour water in .

Heres a picture incase someone knows what it is called, I'm well happy with it for a £1.

q7eDh7nl.jpg

Wrong end of the brush ;)

I guess these are what men used in Olden Times before wash basins had piped hot water on tap. I have a couple as they look great but haven't tried to use them.

I own one or two (or maybe 8!). I like the peculiarity of them, most were picked up from flea markets and I haven't paid more than £5 for any of them. The style is quite varied which is how i've ended up with a few.

Fairly new to straight shaving but for me:

Pros-

Nostalgia of shaving like my Grandad
Allows the shaving brush to soften up a bit.
WARM SUDS (for the 20/30 mins it takes me).
My wife can use the bathroom sink without me needing to keep wandering around near her with a cut throat in my hand.

Cons-

Some seem to have fairly large holes where excess soap seems to disappear and be wasted.
Can't use with creams alone.
Unless you have a large scuttle or a small brush- you end up flinging soap everywhere.

Personally I love to use them and enjoy telling guests they are over sized coffee mugs for when I'm in the shower cause I can't wash properly without caffeine (no one has believed me yet- its partly true).

Some modern equivalents are a kind of hybrid- like a bowl in a bowl. I suspect they are great to use but without the nostalgic factor.

I think I'm rambling!
Martin.

I saw at least 7 scuttles at a local fete today. I didn't buy any though, the main reason being that they had the holes in the bowl part. Was it a flock of scuttles? A herd? A shoal? A gaggle?

Back
Top Bottom