Scuttles

No - industrial tools are generally 110v ("for safety" - actually to stop pilfering) but as Audio pointed out most people who would pinch such devices have a 230/110V step-down transformer. Easy to get a 3 phase supply here too, after supplying the electricity company with a large pile of folding cash and being prepared to pay extra for having it every month too...

We do have 'strange fused plugs' but it does mean that you generally have appropriate protection for an appliance (a 16A breaker/fuse on a 300W device is not as "protective" as it being fused in the plug at 3A) - aside from the size of the UK plug and how much they hurt when you tread on them in bare feet, I prefer it that way :)

I agree that having a fuse in each outlet or each plug increases safety, but the plug's shape factor makes travel and buying stuff abroad still a (minor) hassle -- both ways I'm sure. I'm still not sure I understand the 110V situation: you say industrial tools are 110, but where does the mains supply come from? Do the energy companies deliver 110 to industrial establishments, or do you have to provide a central, or distributed, step-down transformers yourself, as a business using 110V tools?

Henk

henkverhaar said:
I'm still not sure I understand the 110V situation: you say industrial tools are 110, but where does the mains supply come from? Do the energy companies deliver 110 to industrial establishments, or do you have to provide a central, or distributed, step-down transformers yourself, as a business using 110V tools?

Depends on the size of the business requirement really - if it's a huge place then it might well have 110V laid on - its trivial to derive a 110V supply alongside a 230V supply from the local distribution network... in smaller premises or when mobile, each worker will cart his own transformer around (or if you're like me will just plug in to the 110V outlet on the generator and not care one way or the other).

Going back to the original post, I'll say this. Having now experienced the pleasure of shaving with warm lather I understand the enthusiasm for it.

So the issue is how best to achieve warm lather if that is your wish.

Among my many collecting interests is pottery. So I didn't need much of an excuse to look Dirty Bird up after reading reviews. I now have the 1.5 scuttle, a soap/lather bowl and shaving mug. And a matching brush scuttle is on its way. So I will be in a good position to assess the relative merits of these soon. If you are really interested you can already read reviews elsewhere. When you add shipping and customs, these things are not cheap compared with more simple devices for lathering and warming. But so what. You pay your money and make your choice.

Fido one of the guys had a custom scuttle made up by a local potter, It may have worked out cheaper than importing.Can't remember who commissioned the work but there is a thread here somewhere.

Boab said:
one of the guys had a custom scuttle made up by a local potter
Actually, I'm considering commissioning a mug, which is daft since I don't know what to do with one. What I want is a plain white one in the dumpy Wade style, with the word "Wyatt" printed on it in fancy Old West decorated capitals. My reasons are far too recondite to bother you with here, but if anyone knows where I could get this done, I'd be very pleased to hear about it.

Fuses do not make appliances safer, there simply to stop you blowing the ring main. My pond filter recently lost insulation & If I didn't have a RCD installed...........

I use a scuttle every now and again but I face lather mostly. I might use my scuttles more in the winter.

Fido said:
Going back to the original post, I'll say this. Having now experienced the pleasure of shaving with warm lather I understand the enthusiasm for it.
So the issue is how best to achieve warm lather if that is your wish.
Among my many collecting interests is pottery. So I didn't need much of an excuse to look Dirty Bird up after reading reviews. I now have the 1.5 scuttle, a soap/lather bowl and shaving mug. And a matching brush scuttle is on its way. So I will be in a good position to assess the relative merits of these soon.
Fido,
I was wondering if you ever received your Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle, and if you have, how do you like it?
I noticed that Audiolab uses an image of one as an avatar here. I bought one about a year ago and I have used it for every shave since then, I simply can't imagine not shaving with warm lather anymore.

I have the Dirty Bird:

1.5 scuttle. Tend to use it with my larger badgers. Works fine with simple hot tap water.
Brush Scuttle - use it with Duke 3 and Semogue 1305. Works best with smaller brushes. Excellent.
Mug - for larger brushes
Lather bowl - good for smaller brushes.

And the whole lot are fine pieces of pottery. The 1.5 is part of a little display on one of my study shelves.

Attachments

• DSC_1454.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 170
:?: Does anybody know of a UK potter that could make similar pieces to the Dirty bird pottery at a reasonable price, Forgive me if this has already been thought of. (just thinking while reading the thread)

You must simply google for potters in your area and go and talk to them about what you want. I suppose I could find a potter in the forest and ask them to come up with ideas after seeing my Dirty Bird stuff and offer to market it for them. Hmmm.

I have been eyeing off a Dirty Bird for a while, I am particularly keen on the brush scuttle being a fizzog latherer...Now that Texas is in winters grip :lol: my focus is getting more intent. From what little I have read, people either love them or are indifferent to them because they do not keep the brush / lather at the expected temp.

Is tap water hot enough to keep the vessel upto temp or is boiling water required?

My tap water of recent years would not have been hot enough for my scuttles. I turned the temperature up a little and it's fine for me. If my quarterly gas bill shoots up, I will be turning it down again!

The brush scuttle is fine with smaller brushes so for me that means it's the Semogue 1305 and Duke 3. My shavemac 177, Kent BK8 and Semogue 2000 need to be used with the 1.5 scuttle.

Back
Top Bottom