SE shave problem

Hi guys,

Since joining the SE club a couple of weeks ago I have been shaving with the Star Cadet I bought off another forum member. I liked it so much that I picked up two Ever Ready 1912's off of ebay, complete with cases - one metal and one bakelite, thinking that they would make good travel razors?

I have tried both of the Ever Readys now and find that one is as good as the Star, whilst the other is draggy and tends to scrape and nick my face. I was using this razor for the second time today, with similar results, so I took the blade out and tried it in the Star - no problem :huh:. I then tried the other Ever Ready and it was just as good as the Star.

I have examined the "bad" Ever Ready, but can see no obvious reason why it is shaving differently, so does anyone with more experience of these things have any suggestions for things to check, which might adversely affect performance?

Thanks very much for any help or advice.

Gordon

this is a really obvious thing.....but i gotta ask, does the problem razor have both stop pins in place,.....these: (as i tried one and didnt notice that one was missing so the blade was not aligned properly....ooouch !!!)

ER.jpg

sunburyboy93 said:
this is a really obvious thing.....but i gotta ask, does the problem razor have both stop pins in place,.....these: (as i tried one and didnt notice that one was missing so the blade was not aligned properly....ooouch !!!)

ER.jpg

Agree, this is one of the major problems with the 1912's . It's even more of a problem with the 1914's!
The stops are so small that they just seem to wear or rust away. And the worst part if it is that you can't tell from eBay like photos if there's going to be a problem before you buy it. A real crap shoot!

Thanks for the replies fellas, that was the first thing I checked as I read posts where others had similar problems with the stop hooks. The razor seems to be in perfect condition and is for all intents and purposes exactly the same as the other two.

I do have some Treet carbon steel blades I could try but I doubt that the problem is with the blade. Very strange??

I suppose I can retire it from service but I know the problem is going to bug the hell out of me :mad:

The only other problem with the 1912's is that the angle of the head is sometimes changed after shipping. Or by a previous owners fancy. I have more of them than I should so I compare the offending razor to 3 or 4 of the ones that do shave well and BEND the HEAD to match their angle. My Gem Jr has the same angle so if you have one of those you can compare it to the Jr too.
Good luck

One other thing you could perhaps consider had the blade possibly located on top of the 2 lugs rather than being under them. That seriously alters the blade gap and gives a savage shave, done it myself but realised on the second pass, put reading glasses on and rectified the problem before blood was spilled. :blush::blush:
Regards,
Pete

Hmmm,

I think Johnus might be on to something, as the heads of the two Ever Readys are at different angles to the handles, only one of which matches the Star razor. Merits further investigation and a bit of tweaking methinks.

Back
Top Bottom