Semi or Full Slant

So, as COVID-19 keeps me sheltering in the wonders of my own home, I get to wondering: do I want a new DE razor.

I was looking at a butterfly opener, but they are apparently a bit tricky to get under the nose (but I've never tried). Which puts me off, as that's always my trouble area.

So then I looked at getting a slant. Seemed like a good idea to me, as it is apparently nicer on my overly sensitive skin. I looked at some, and the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant Double-Edge Razor seems to be winning, at least partly due to being one of the cheaper options out there. But then the semi part got me wondering.

What do people say about slants? Is the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant Double-Edge Razor worth it? Or would a different slant be worth the extra money? Or do people say slants should be avoided like a person with a new dry persistent cough?

I Have three slant razors in my humble de razor collection a Merkur 37c ,39c and the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant.

The Merkur slants however are slightly more aggressive than the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant, saying that any razor can be aggressive if the user make's it aggressive..As for the the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant it's more forgiving & milder than my much loved merkur's,that said it's not a mild razor and still performs with smooth efficiency.Price wise i personally think the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant is a incredible razor for it's price bracket..adding to that it comes in three colours i went for the satin/chrome finish it pairs up well with every de blade i've matched it up with to date ,and has gave me error-free comfortable shaves...Just because a de razor has a cheap price bracket,this doesn't make it a bad razor,Each to their own choice, but if you've been wanting to try a slant razor then the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant would be a very good choice to start with,equal to that would be the Merkur 37c. both are excellent shavers at a very reasonable cost.

Hope this helps. Regards. B (y)

Last edited:
So, as COVID-19 keeps me sheltering in the wonders of my own home, I get to wondering: do I want a new DE razor.

I was looking at a butterfly opener, but they are apparently a bit tricky to get under the nose (but I've never tried). Which puts me off, as that's always my trouble area.

So then I looked at getting a slant. Seemed like a good idea to me, as it is apparently nicer on my overly sensitive skin. I looked at some, and the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant Double-Edge Razor seems to be winning, at least partly due to being one of the cheaper options out there. But then the semi part got me wondering.

What do people say about slants? Is the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant Double-Edge Razor worth it? Or would a different slant be worth the extra money? Or do people say slants should be avoided like a person with a new dry persistent cough?
My daily shaver is a twist to open (or butterfly) DE that has an amazing head design that gets very close under the nose.

It is the Schick Krona (yes I know..), can be picked used for around £25 on eBay.

Slants to me seems all the same though the 37c is a notch above others imho.

I Have three slant razors in my humble de razor collection a Merkur 37c ,39c and the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant.

The Merkur slants however are slightly more aggressive than the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant, saying that any razor can be aggressive if the user make's it aggressive..As for the the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant it's more forgiving & milder than my much loved merkur's,that said it's not a mild razor and still performs with smooth efficiency.Price wise i personally think the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant is a incredible razor for it's price bracket..adding to that it comes in three colours i went for the satin/chrome finish it pairs up well with every de blade i've matched it up with to date ,and has gave me error-free comfortable shaves...Just because a de razor has a cheap price bracket,this doesn't make it a bad razor,Each to their own choice, but if you've been wanting to try a slant razor then the Parker 55SL-SC Semi-Slant would be a very good choice to start with,equal to that would be the Merkur 37c. both are excellent shavers at a very reasonable cost.

Hope this helps. Regards. B (y)

Well I have taken you at your word, and ordered a semi-slant (in graphite, as that way it's different to my black, matt metal or chrome colours). Apparenlty should arrive "2 to 3 business days" which should mean end of this, start of next, week I guess.

Well I have taken you at your word, and ordered a semi-slant (in graphite, as that way it's different to my black, matt metal or chrome colours). Apparenlty should arrive "2 to 3 business days" which should mean end of this, start of next, week I guess.
You shouldn't be disappointed...With experience i find that parker razors shave best with a slightly steeper shaving angle .Like any razor it takes a few shaves to adjust, but once you get your shaving angle it rewards you with sublime shaves..

PS: Note' Slant razors don't require anything different from any other DE razor when shaving with one...The only difference with the Parker 55SL ,is to shave with a steeper shaving angle.

Let use know how you get on with your Parker 55SL maiden shave. Enjoy. :)

Regards. B (y)

You shouldn't be disappointed...With experience i find that parker razors shave best with a slightly steeper shaving angle .Like any razor it takes a few shaves to adjust, but once you get your shaving angle it rewards you with sublime shaves..

PS: Note' Slant razors don't require anything different from any other DE razor when shaving with one...The only difference with the Parker 55SL ,is to shave with a steeper shaving angle.

Let use know how you get on with your Parker 55SL maiden shave. Enjoy. :)

Regards. B (y)

So the semi arrived yesterday, and today I took it for a spin.

To keep things as similar as possible to usual life, I used my usual Astra blade, Omega boar brush with the CodeZero shave stick.

Shave.jpg

Starting off, I found it a bit tricky to get the angle right. Very different angle requirements compared to my good ol' EJ DE89. The feed back was different, no tugging at all (which I could sometimes get with the '89) and seems to fulfilled the promise of less skin irritation. Managed to give myself a few nicks, but that's fully down to me! I was worried about the size of the head, but seemed to do a brilliant job under the nose, a lot easier than the '89, but still that bit more tricky than either of my SEs. The weight and length of the handle is a lot more satisfying than the '89, but not as scary as my Claymore.

The problem I've got now is that I've got 4 razors, and only really got space for 3... So I may need to sell the old RazorRock Hawk SE... No idea if it's worth anything though (black aluminium job).

Last edited:

To keep things as similar as possible to usual life, I used my usual Astra blade, Omega boar brush with the CodeZero shave stick.

View attachment 53850

Starting off, I found it a bit tricky to get the angle right. Very different angle requirements compared to my good ol' EJ DE89. The feed back was different, no tugging at all (which I could sometimes get with the '89) and seems to fulfilled the promise of less skin irritation. Managed to give myself a few nicks, but that's fully down to me! I was worried about the size of the head, but seemed to do a brilliant job under the nose, a lot easier than the '89, but still that bit more tricky than either of my SEs. The weight and length of the handle is a lot more satisfying than the '89, but not as scary as my Claymore.

The problem I've got now is that I've got 4 razors, and only really got space for 3... So I may need to sell the old RazorRock Hawk SE... No idea if it's worth anything though (black aluminium job).
The aluminium Hawks are <£30 new so don't have much of a resale value. I'd be inclined to put it in a drawer as you may fancy a venture into the AC world in 12 months or so.

View attachment 53850

The problem I've got now is that I've got 4 razors, and only really got space for 3... So I may need to sell the old RazorRock SE.
Good Morning,...A great review on your maiden shave with your new Parker 55SL..What ever razor you shave with it takes a few shaves to adjust, technique & shaving confidence are the key to good shaving results...The 55SL ,as with all my parker razors have has taught me to 'Shave the lather from my face,rather than the stubble.'!.and just let the weight of the razor & blade do the work.I apply this method of shaving with all my razor aggressive or non-aggressive.

Parker razors do have a good audio feedback,which again when your not use to it,can sound very intimidating to the shaver..As you rightly said the nicks you got from your maiden shave was fully down to your goodself!..Everyone one get nicks now and then,its all part of the fun..I repeat myself and say, once you adjust your shaving train of thought with the 55SL, and get more shaving confidence when shaving with it you'll be rewarded with some sublime shaves..Your right about the 55SL head it's very comfortable for shaving under the nose, considering it's size,and the Astra blade is a excellent choice of blade..As for now having 4 razors,and you may need to sell the old RazorRock SE.,i personally would keep hold of it for while..I'll let you into a secret ,but don't tell anyone.. "I have 35 DE razors & 6 vintage SE razors!!!..a vast majority have been kindly passed on and gifted to me."which i love and add to my razor rotation.

Enjoy your parker 55SL semi-slant shaving experiences.

Regards. B (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom