Shave of the day Saturday 12th August- Fri 18th August 2017

487eb60d0f53d7550105538bab1075c5.jpg

image.jpg ~SOTD~ 14th August Monday

My 5th shave with the Pass-Around Rocnel SE-G, this time I used one of the Feather blades with a spine from another SE blade.
I started off with the blade set right back into the spine making it around 1mm shallower than the Gem blade however this was a step too far and made it too mild so I pulled the blade out by around 0.5 of a mm and re set the spine, wow a much more user friendly razor , so this blade was set at 0.5 mm shallower than the Gem and I had a very good shave indeed, helped along with the wonderful Calani Oriental Plum shave soap, a great soap with a fab scent.
A application of BBA post shave balm and my scent for today is Tom Ford Tabacco Vanelle, (copy oil from Mr Perfume) just perfect for a windy wet day like today!

So I turned what I felt was an over aggressive razor just by resetting the blade by 0.5 of a mm into somthing less aggressive and ended up with good results and my skin does not feel raw nor are there any scratches because I rounded the corners of the blade so they couldn't catch my skin.......result! :) a bit of a faff to do but it worked for me.
Fortunately this is a Pass Around razor so I won't have to go through this procedure to get a good shave, I have a Blackland Sabre which for me is the perfect NEW Gem razor, YMMV! :) I still love my 1912s ect so if you are happy with them carry on, as I will be because with the right blade they are hard to better.

Wishing you all a happy Monday......:)

@Ferry-shave your tag sir.

Last edited:
View attachment 28071 ~SOTD~ 14th August Monday

My 5th shave with the Pass-Around Rocnel SE-G, this time I used one of the Feather blades with a spine from another SE blade.
I started off with the blade set right back into the spine making it around 1mm shallower than the Gem blade however this was a step too far and made it too mild so I pulled the blade out by around 0.5 of a mm and re set the spine, wow a much more user friendly razor , so this blade was set at 0.5 mm shallower than the Gem and I had a very good shave indeed, helped along with the wonderful Calani Oriental Plum shave soap, a great soap with a fab scent.
A application of BBA post shave balm and my scent for today is Tom Ford Tabacco Vanelle, (copy oil from Mr Perfume) just perfect for a windy wet day like today!

So I turned what I felt was an over aggressive razor just by resetting the blade by 0.5 of a mm into somthing less aggressive and ended up with good results and my skin does not feel raw nor are there any scratches because I rounded the corners of the blade so they couldn't catch my skin.......result! :) a bit of a faff to do but it worked for me.
Fortunately this is a Pass Around razor so I won't have to go through this procedure to get a good shave, I have a Blackland Sabre which for me is the perfect NEW Gem razor, YMMV! :) I still love my 1912s ect so if you are happy with them carry on, as I will be because with the right blade they are hard to better.

Wishing you all a happy Monday......:)

@Ferry-shave your tag sir.
@Blademonkey Thank you for the tag - its good to hear that you have found a way forward with the Rocnel GEM.

I strongly suspect that we will see a Rocnel GEM v2.0 soon, to address the issues that many are finding with the blade exposure and scratching/scaring.

I think the Rocnel GEM has the makings of an excellent razor.

All the best,

Chris

Monday's shave :)

Pre-shave - Shower and face wash with Wright's Cold Tar Soap.
Razor - ATT M1 ATLAS
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Soap - Kiehl's close shave cream.
Brush - Simpsons Duke 2 Best Badger.
Bowl - Little Wren Pottery shave bowl.
Post shave - Myrsol Blue Aftershave.

Went for a minimalist shave this morning, both in terms of passes minimal pre and post shave products, a single WTG pass, which resulted in a DFS.

Pleased to report no redness/irritation with the ATT M1 today.

All the best,

Chris

@Blademonkey Thank you for the tag - its good to hear that you have found a way forward with the Rocnel GEM.

I strongly suspect that we will see a Rocnel GEM v2.0 soon, to address the issues that many are finding with the blade exposure and scratching/scaring.

I think the Rocnel GEM has the makings of an excellent razor.

All the best,

Chris
Agreed , it has the makings of an excellent razor once certain issues have been addressed.

ATB .

Paul.

Mon 14th August
Omega 11137 boar
MWF
Claymore V1
Schick Proline Type P ( 2 )
Alum Rub / Rinse off
Jaguar Prestige A/S lotion

The Schick blade really suits this Razor,as despite the need to be out the door in a hurry.Managed to get a very quick trouble free Shave, which was very easy and comfortable.
To be honest am finding that I enjoy using the Claymore more than I do the Brass General in its original form, and the quality of the finished Shave is just as good too.

IMG_1508.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom