Shave Ready buying options

I'm looking at venturing into straight razors after a year of safety razors. Where would you recommend buying a shave ready straight from?
At the moment I'm avoiding eBay and thinking of The Invisible Edge. There seems to be loads of choice overseas but not much in the UK.

I'm in a similar position to yourself. Keeping an eye on eBay but never really looking to buy from there. As you mentioned, invisible edge seems quite good, but I have not bought from there yet. They do have some nice vintage stuff sometimes too. Other than that I have been tempted by the Thiers issard basic range. Ukrob on here is currently selling some straights and from what I have read on here he is very good and trustworthy.
For now I'm using a feather artist club ss as I'm not sure about all the stropping etc that comes with a straight...

If you want to buy with confidence and want a shave ready razor, then you'll not go far wrong with invisible edge. I speak from experience and the service was excellent and indeed the razor was shave ready.

It goes without saying, be very careful what you buy on ebay particularly when it comes to vintage straights and people advertising as shave ready.

The Dovo 'Best Quality' seems like a good beginners razor. What do you think?

The key points of the different razors seems to be carbon or stainless, 5/8ths or 6/8ths and half hollow or full hollow.
How do these different factors effect the shave?

Also with regards strops I've seen two basic starter strops but one has a canvas back. What's the canvas side used for?

atnewton said:
The Dovo 'Best Quality' seems like a good beginners razor. What do you think?

The key points of the different razors seems to be carbon or stainless, 5/8ths or 6/8ths and half hollow or full hollow.
How do these different factors effect the shave?

Also with regards strops I've seen two basic starter strops but one has a canvas back. What's the canvas side used for?

At the top of the straight razor section is a set of guides - try them first and see if your questions are answered.

You'll find all you want in the BST section right here, in fact UKRob is selling a few very nice razors right now and i guarantee they will be shave ready and you can be confident they will be worth every penny.
Check the link below

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-22960.html

The wife got sick of me staring at pages of razors last night so I pulled the trigger a went for a Dovo 'Best Quality' 6/8th half hollow and a basic canvas backed strop from The Invisible Edge.

After reading more through the Important Threads by Neil Miller it answered a lot of my questions. It seems the Dovo is a good 'middle ground' starting point and came within budget.
I'll definitely be checking out the BST threads in future though.

I have bought several straight razors from The Invisible Edge, from the expensive to the relatively cheap.
Great people to deal with... and.... they really do come shave ready!

Their own branded straight is actually very good indeed. (It is a Dovo with their brand etched into the blade).

In fact, I used it today :)
20131122.jpg

Neep said:
I have bought several straight razors from The Invisible Edge, from the expensive to the relatively cheap.
Great people to deal with... and.... they really do come shave ready!

Their own branded straight is actually very good indeed. (It is a Dovo with their brand etched into the blade).

In fact, I used it today :)

Mine arrived this morning. Looking forward to giving it a go tomorrow.
I did email Steve at the Invisible Edge asking about their own brand razors but due to Dovo's massive backlog they aren't providing the 'own label' razors to them at the moment. Otherwise for a beginner razor I would have got one.
Steve was really helpful and quick to reply to emails, plus once I placed the order it was in the post the next day, so I'm happy I went with The Invisible Edge.

Nice scuttle by the way, where did you get that from?

atnewton said:
Nice scuttle by the way, where did you get that from?

Steve Woodhead Pottery. He sells on Ebay.
The ones that I have are the "medium" size by the way.... which are plenty large!

The scuttles are superb. Double walled, so you fill the "wall" with hot water, and it really does keep the lather and brush warm.

Rod

Can recommend Revisor 100% - the link has been posted here before on another thread.
Bought from them once. They are based in Germany and ship direct from there. Some of their NOS razors are just awesome.

If you're not going for the Feather Str8 or one of its clones, I'd go with a shave ready from one of the guys on this site. Ukrob is a good source . Check the forum sites.

I've saved a seller from the bay that I have bought from in the past. Definitely shave-ready! Thoroughly nice chap to boot & great communication.

(disclaimer since I have sung his praise so much - I am in now way affiliated with this seller)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/billyji1

I bought a Dovo Best Quality 6/8 full hollow ground from The Invisible Edge some years ago.
It is in my opinion a very good razor, at least it is good enough for me.
And with sharpening made by TIE, you cannot go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom