Shave stick problems

I got an erasmic shave stick a while ago, at the price it seemed daft not to!

When I use it I splash warm water on my face and then rub the stick against my face but hardly any soap seems to be being transfered to my face, the water on my face seems to be being removed by the stick an the stick becomes dry very quickly. After about a mnute or so of this I have a very thin and patchy/splotchy bits of soap spread across my chops. When I lather this with the brush it at first whips up brilliantly and looks great and smooth and with the 1st touch of the razor feels ok but I can practically see the soap drying and disappearing in front of my eyes! By the time I have finished my cheek I am having to apply more soap. Its getting very annoying! :mad:

I also use TOBS The Shaving Shop cream, no probs and have used wilkinson's sword soap in a bowl again with no problems. What am I doing wrong with the stick? :huh:

If you have patchy or limited coverage/growth you just won't be able to remove enough soap in which case cut off a thinish slice and press into the bowl or grate the lot into a bowl and compress to form a cake and use as a hard soap.

antdad said:
If you have patchy or limited coverage/growth you just won't be able to remove enough soap in which case cut off a thinish slice and press into the bowl or grate the lot into a bowl and compress to form a cake and use as a hard soap.

I was thinking of just cutting it up an putting it in a bowl. Tho next time I use it may wait a day or to and let my beard grow a bit. Thinking about the best results were when I hadn't shaved for a few days.

Cheers :idea:

Very new to this but i dab the stick in the basin for a sec just before i rub it on my face. Also found at first that i was not adding enough water to the brush. I tend to dip the brush in to basin about halfway through face lathering.

Sticks are a bit rubbish, convert them into a cake as mentioned above by mashing or grating into a little bowl or ramekin, and then you can let the brush really go to town and load up on the soap itself.

Erasmic, eh? Aah, the nostalgia!

Last time I checked, sometime towards the end of the 80s, it wasn't awfully nice stuff to shave with. But who knows? - maybe it's improved, in which case I suggest that you force it into a suitable container by whatever means seems best, and really load the brush. Also, make some lather in a bowl as it's much easier to experiment with the consistency that way.

I suffer with the same problems with an Erasmic shave stick. The only reason I got it was for travelling. Something a bit less bulky to carry.
No matter how much I try, I get what appears to be a decent lather, but by the time I'm half way through the pass, the lathers gone and I'm left with a thin milky residue on my face.
Perhaps I should give it up as a bad job and try a cream in a tube....

I only ever use a tube of cream for travelling anyway, they take up minimal space and there's nothing easier to use. Save your harder soaps for home use when you've got time to bugger about.

Bilbo said:
I got an erasmic shave stick

What am I doing wrong with the stick? :huh:

Not buying a Palmolive one :icon_razz:

Nothing "a bit rubbish" about sticks per se - perfectly adequate method of transferring soap to face in order to lather - but as noted you need some whiskers there to aid the transfer.

Alternative loading methods:

wet the brush & stick and load the brush from the stick, then lather on face.
slice a midge's whizzer of soap off and stick it in a dish/bowl/tea cup to lather
wet face, wet hand and keep running it across your fizzer until you can see the soap - of you can see too much of course you might have overdone it

if it's drying out in front of your eyes, you're not getting enough water in to the lather - there's no law that says you can't dip the tip of your brush to get more.

As for creams being easier than soaps - not at all - just different.

I've not used Erasmic for years....But Palmolive sticks I grate into a spare lidded container with the Cheese grater,then press the gratings into a cake with my thumb....Sticks always try to escape when they're wet..and I seem to end up racing the damn things round the Bathroom....

This is how I do :

I wet my face then rubber the stick against my face tipping the stick in water if it dries too much.
The trick I think is to insist and when your face is fully covered with a white proto lather almost like if you were to wash your face with a bath soap.
Then you can enjoy a good face lathering with a short lofted shaving brush (no more than 50 mm long I would say, if not it might be very tedious to achieve the desired result). The brush is then loaded with enough lather for several passes.

Since I have been using this procedure I enjoy the sticks very much.

There have been 2 types of Erasmic stick (may be 3 types now). The first was tallow based, and worked rather well. The second was NOT tallow-based and was widely regarded as (and there's no other way of putting this), shite. If you have the latter, it woudn't surprise me if you were struggling.

Ian

Just used the E. Supreme Stick. Sliced a piece off and pressed it into my lather bowl. It was slow to start but once on my face and remastered there it was equal to all and better than most that I've used.
For me Sticks always seem to work better this way.

After reading the replies on here I pressed the stick into a bowl that used to contain wilkinson's shave soap and tried to load the brush like I would a normal cake of shaving soap using my EJ pure badger brush. Lather better and longer lasting than before but still not brilliant, got frustrated with this and went back to TOBS cream for the XTG pass.

Ian M, not sure if it is tallow based, the stick is a plae white colour? But it would appear pretty crappy! On the box it says Erasmic total shaving logic, total shaving arse more like!

Have you tried a Palmolive shaving stick? Only 49p at Tesco at the moment and I've been getting good results with face lathering as a newbie.

Bilbo said:
After reading the replies on here I pressed the stick into a bowl that used to contain wilkinson's shave soap and tried to load the brush like I would a normal cake of shaving soap using my EJ pure badger brush. Lather better and longer lasting than before but still not brilliant, got frustrated with this and went back to TOBS cream for the XTG pass.

Ian M, not sure if it is tallow based, the stick is a plae white colour? But it would appear pretty crappy! On the box it says Erasmic total shaving logic, total shaving arse more like!

Back
Top Bottom