Shaving against the grain

When i shave against the grain i come out with the most horrendous rash/spots on my neck,which takes weeks to disappear..

I have done it with various razors/blades throughout the years and nothing helps.

I'm assuming i just have sensitive skin?

My dad does it everytime he shaves with no issues what so ever.

Can anyone tell me why this happens ?

Do i just have soft/sensitive skin?

I'm afraid I don't know why you're suffering such awful rash after ATG shave, but I've one or two thoughts. When we change from WTG & XTG to ATG we need to change the way we hold the razor, usually that'll be a completely reversed hold. Is it possible that you are unconsciously putting too much pressure on the blade? Are you re-wetting your neck and lathering it again? Finally, I'd recommend shaving with cold water, for me the surface of the skin is just that little tighter when cold and less likely to be scraped by the blade's edge. Just my thoughts, and I hope others here will be able to give a more definitive answer. Good luck.

You just have sensitive skin or tough bristles or whatever. I can't shave against the grain either, I've tried with all sorts of different blades, razors and products - face like raw meat every time.
Just go for what you can get comfortably, a bit scratchy is better than pizza face.

The Count may well be right. Before you give up, though, I'd think about ensuring your prep is good so that the bristles are as soft as they can be. I assume you are going ATG on the 3rd pass? so bristles should be well soft by then. Sharp blade - none of this trying to get umpteen shaves out of a blade. Most important of all - a light touch. I use stainless razors so they have good mass to overcome the resistance of cutting the bristles whilst using the lightest of touches. Cold water shaving would help. Oh! of course - plenty of well hydrated, good quality soap - you need good lubrication.

Can you get a neck more sensitive than mine? But I shave it ATG every day paying attention as above. If I don't, I have to resort to cartridges and WTG only for a few days.

I couldn't go atg at all face and neck with my DE, even tried razor/blade combo but made no difference. Funnily enough I can do my whole face atg with a straight razor, strange.

Nishy said:
I couldn't go atg at all face and neck with my DE, even tried razor/blade combo but made no difference. Funnily enough I can do my whole face atg with a straight razor, strange.

Maybe because (no disrespect) you (like me) are relatively new to straight shaving so that much more careful about pressure.

Personally, I always re-lather before going ATG whichever style of razor I'm using...

Lots of men can't shave against the grain. Nothing to be worried about. If I remember correctly, many of the leaflets that came with Gillette DE's advised against doing an ATG pass.

Vinny's 'one pass' rule of thumb:

New blade - shave with the grain
3rd and subsequent shaves - shave against the grain

One pass.

Jobbed.

Re: RE: Shaving against the grain

Leslie145 said:
Nishy said:

Maybe because (no disrespect) you (like me) are relatively new to straight shaving so that much more careful about pressure.

Personally, I always re-lather before going ATG whichever style of razor I'm using...
Perhaps your right Leslie, I can't honestly say I'm using more or less pressure than with my DE, probably slightly more with the straight. I assumed it was down to the fact of not having a safety bar, perhaps allowing the blade to run flat atg on the skin. But I could be wrong how are you enjoying your straight shaves otherwise?

Just don't shave against the grain if it causes problems. What you could do is shave with the grain, then across the grain, then across the grain again but it in the opposite direction.

Weirdly, I find an ATG 3rd pass works well with the fatboy set to 9. I used to also suffer the raw. Maybe you just need a different blade/razor? Good lather, as has already been mentioned, is vital. It is quite easy for even a good lather to collapse when you are enjoying a leisurely scrape!

joe mcclaine said:
Vinny's 'one pass' rule of thumb:

New blade - shave with the grain
3rd and subsequent shaves - shave against the grain

One pass.

Jobbed.

Oy gevalt!!!

I swear that knowing your sense of humor would make me think you were being facetious when describing your shaving technique, but I don't think that's the case here. No, I saw you type this a bunch of times over the years and it's a true thing I believe.

That is a somewhat.....unorthodox way of doing things. The one ATG pass shave I mean. Well, both ways actually. I can't think of anyone else doing that when using a cartridge, injector, or DE razor. It obviously works for you though.

I'm still not quite positive you aren't just messin with me....heh. I know how much you like typing stuff to get a rise outta people. That's on the plus side in my opinion.

Martin

I can't go against the grain either - especially on the neck area.

I would advise you to do 2 x xtg instead - one from each side of the growth direction.

dodgy said:
joe mcclaine said:
Some stuff and things

Oy gevalt!!!

I swear that knowing your sense of humor would make me think you were being facetious when describing your shaving technique, but I don't think that's the case here. No, I saw you type this a bunch of times over the years and it's a true thing I believe.

That is a somewhat.....unorthodox way of doing things. The one ATG pass shave I mean. Well, both ways actually. I can't think of anyone else doing that when using a cartridge, injector, or DE razor. It obviously works for you though.

I'm still not quite positive you aren't just messin with me....heh. I know how much you like typing stuff to get a rise outta people. That's on the plus side in my opinion.

Martin

Martin, my Oad.

While 90% of what I post is chock-full of old pony, in this case I'm not telling porkies.

You're more than welcome to come round my gaff and witness my awesome first hand, with your very own minces.

Back
Top Bottom