Shaving bowls out of concrete

Sure, the concept sounds pretty odd but reading the description of both the products and the company it actually sounds more and more appealing - and I really rather like the look.

Irishantverk is a small Swedish company where a lot of the products are still handmade to high standards with its roots in brush making and have provided work for visually impaired individuals in Sweden and the Baltics since the 1950's.

They have some interesting products w/in wetshaving as well, one being their shaving bowls made out of concrete;

Product description:
"Shaving cup in soft concrete with shaving soap.
Soft Concrete is a unique material, by adding a small addition of polymer (plastic) it becomes three times as elastic as normal concrete. Soft Concrete is not so soft that it can be bent, it's still a stone material but it has a pleasant feeling to it.
It feels warm, soft and comfortable. It contains no environmentally harmful substances. Soft Concrete is cast of a relatively viscous mass that causes the surface to receive a varying smoothness. And due to the irregularity color variations occurs and contributes to the vibrant impression."

shaving-cup-including-soap.jpeg

shaving-cup-including-soap.jpeg

9prz3b.jpg

Unfortunately that's about $59 - but, I do think it's really neat...and it does come with a Sandalwood soap...

Tall_Paul said:
I like those too. Very nice.

It's a bugger shipping here from Scandinavia though I think (or it was when I ordered some Xpec).

There's also an Australian site that sells them on ebay but unless you get some sort of commonwealth discount I doubt that shipping would be any cheaper :D

Tall_Paul said:
It's a bugger shipping here from Scandinavia though I think (or it was when I ordered some Xpec).

Oh, I remember how that purchase came about and I'm sorry but it seemed like no big deal to me. It was a Norwegian site, run by a gentleman who spoke no English and only offered local shipping.

All you did was learn the language and then convince him to ship to Limeyland. Shipping price for that was actually reasonable I think.

See, it wasn't such a bugger at all,

Mart

Tall_Paul said:
I like those too. Very nice.

They are available in the UK from amara.com and other shops. Just google for "Iris Hantverk". Disclaimer: I have never used amara.com and therefore cannot recommend them.
Lovely designs though. Must resist.

That, I like!

If you had started out with the word "Icelandic" I would well have believed it. Swedish? Bit drab for the Swedes. Still, highly functional and a great design built in. I like it a LOT!

Quick translation on the money, it's about £40, plus postage of course. No VAT (to Brits) as they're in the EU ... and so are we (just).

Johnus said:
Soft concrete? Why not just use that craft clay stuff that you bake in your oven? Would it be easier?

Durability? I have no idea - far from a chemist/clay/potterer-kinda guy
And it's not 'soft' as in you can shove your fingers into it :)

pjgh said:
That, I like!

If you had started out with the word "Icelandic" I would well have believed it. Swedish? Bit drab for the Swedes. Still, highly functional and a great design built in. I like it a LOT!

Quick translation on the money, it's about £40, plus postage of course. No VAT (to Brits) as they're in the EU ... and so are we (just).

Take off 5 pounds for the sandalwood soap and you got a bowl for about 35 pounds or so. :)

Back
Top Bottom