Shaving bumps

Mild DE razor? is there a list of mild DE razors anywhere? I'd like one. Thank you John Doh! I mean bogeyman

http://sharpologist.com/2013/07/what-is-the-best-de-razor.html

Just an FYI, you can utilize the Search function here on the Forum where there is a veritable cornucopia of info at your fingertips. I assure you 99.99% of questions a new shaver can muster have been asked & answered here before as there are some sharp posters here for sure. That way you can leisurely scroll through and absorb the info at your own pace.

That said, my own recommendation for a new shaver is the Feather Popular razor as it's mild, inexpensive, forgiving & a perfect learner razor. There are other good ones as well, but they either entail more initial expenditure, e.g., Edwin Jagger, Merkur, etc., or they require you buy a used one in an antique store or on Ebay, e.g., Gillette Tech. For a new person it's best to keep everything 'Play-Doh' simple as well as keep costs to a minimum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=feather+popular+razor&_sop=15

http://sharpologist.com/2013/07/what-is-the-best-de-razor.html

Just an FYI, you can utilize the Search function here on the Forum where there is a veritable cornucopia of info at your fingertips. I assure you 99.99% of questions a new shaver can muster have been asked & answered here before as there are some sharp posters here for sure. That way you can leisurely scroll through and absorb the info at your own pace.

That said, my own recommendation for a new shaver is the Feather Popular razor as it's mild, inexpensive, forgiving & a perfect learner razor. There are other good ones as well, but they either entail more initial expenditure, e.g., Edwin Jagger, Merkur, etc., or they require you buy a used one in an antique store or on Ebay, e.g., Gillette Tech. For a new person it's best to keep everything 'Play-Doh' simple as well as keep costs to a minimum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=feather+popular+razor&_sop=15
Thanks bogeyman much needed information provided here .... Andy
I have got a Feather Popular, from last attempt at DE shaving,
now you've recommended it I'll give it another trial .... Thanks

Arko, Palmolive, Proraso - all soaps I like and use. Obviously choices for newbies like me, as they are cheap and widely available, and by any assessment, they are great value. However, I do not think they are the top soaps for protection and slickness, and I find they tend to shave a little dry.

Out of my current portfolio, the TOBs soaps are very slick, and the Maca Root from Bodyshop at £8 a pop is an absolute corker for scent, lather, slickness and protection. Both very easy to get hold of, and I think outstanding value given the smallest amount of cream kicks off a lather factory on steroids [Editor: please stop torturing your analogies; it's painful for all of us]

I no longer shave ATG on my neck - I sort of do a XTG thing twice, which works.

Finally, I found that contrary to my expectations, the sharper the set up, the less of a problem I had. If I shave with a Tech and a Derby on my neck, it irritates like crazy. If I have a Gillette Yellow in my 37c slant, then it's smooth and no irritation or spots. No doubt partially because I pass over the skin twice with the slant and sharp blade, whereas with the tech and derby, I'm chopping away madly over patches trying to get it super smooth. At which point, something's gotta give.

Nor me seems that there is no need to....
Funnily enough (actually, not really that funny), I got cocky this morning and started doing ATG around my Adam's apply. Not so much irritation as a bunch of small red spots of blood all round the area.

I do this every few weeks - getting overly ambitious and thinking that my otherwise entirely satisfactory neck shave can reach new heights (unnoticed by anyone bar myself) if I add that final ATG flourish.

It amounts to the BBS equivalent of falling off the equipment in a men's olympic gymnastics final. Well, kind of...

Shavettes are s**t IMHO. Get yourself a mild DE like a Gillette Tech a Merkur 34C ..then eventually you can buy a good straight razor..be gentle and methodical and don't over shave ..if the blade is good and sharp it will shave you clean and close without irritation. Basically it's a sharp blade so don't jam it into your face like some folks with the cartridges do. Oh yeah and get a good soap with lovely fat in it. I recommend Valobra, DR Harris, Haslinger or Tabac. Balls to Arko!

Shavettes are s**t IMHO. Get yourself a mild DE like a Gillette Tech a Merkur 34C ..then eventually you can buy a good straight razor..be gentle and methodical and don't over shave ..if the blade is good and sharp it will shave you clean and close without irritation. Basically it's a sharp blade so don't jam it into your face like some folks with the cartridges do. Oh yeah and get a good soap with lovely fat in it. I recommend Valobra, DR Harris, Haslinger or Tabac. Balls to Arko!

As I'm moving house next month and expecting another newborn got to wait until payday again for any new purchases,
I agree that a shavette probably isn't the best, however I do enjoy using it and I'm getting good shaves, so needs must at the moment chaps.
I've been pondering a DE for a while in all honesty, so thank you for your advice chaps

Another benefit of DE is that there is a LOT more blades to choose from - another variable!

And another thing to bear in mind is that a supposedly mild razor is not necessarily the answer. You may do better with a blade with more blade exposure. I'd heartily recommend a look through the Lending Pool before you start splashing out on stuff you might not get on with. It can help you start to build up an idea of what variables work with your technique.

Afternoon chaps
Just thought I'd post asking for abit of advice,
Since changing to shaving with a shavette (I know I know ) my skin has been a lot clearer and healthier looking.
However I can't seem to get rid of little red bumps around my neck.
I do all the obvious prep prior to shaving , hot shower and face scrub, currently using arko shaving soap and finishing with alum block and lucky tiger face tonic, like I say my face feels smooth and soft i just can't get rid of these pesky red spots.
Does anyone else suffer with this and what remedy worked best for yourselves?
I'm debating trying the White proraso shaving soap and maybe even the pre shave cream.
Any suggestions welcome
Many thanks all
Try to use a fresh (and easy to preapre) solution of water an backing soda. One teaspoon (not full) in about 300 ml water, not warm and not too cold, shake it or mix it and simply wash your face and your neck with it. Time to time, after you wash your face with a gentle face cleanser (never use regular soap, the bumpies are, sometimes, the reaction of a dry skin (even though your skin is mixt). So, degrease your face, rinse thoroughly and last time apply this solution as a final rinsing. You can use the soda also as a scrub (avoid eye area) your face will look healthy and all the red signs will disappear. Once a week (as a scrub) and 3-4 times per week as solution. Don t put clean water again after the soda solution. Use a hidratant, never perfumed and watch out with the face toner, don t use it daily because your skin needs at least a small quantity of sebum (which remains even after you clean with a face cleaner) but the toner will always let your skin too "clean". And that doesn t mean healthy. Same solution (water and backing soda) can be also used for a sensitive scalp and hair as a shampoo, you ll be amazed after few weeks about the result. The condition is to rinse the hair, last time with water and 2-3 spoon of vinegar (natural one) in order to clean the chalk (calkar, limestone) that that clog hair follicles - a HUGE cause of hair loss as the hair root is suffocated by the limestone that makes deposits on the scalp. Put a glass or a recipient with backing soda in your bathroom to have it there every time you need. Cheap, easy and with amazing results. Let us know!

Last edited:
Try to use a fresh (and easy to preapre) solution of water an backing soda. One teaspoon (not full) in about 300 ml water, not warm and not too cold, shake it or mix it and simply wash your face and your neck with it. Time to time, after you wash your face with a gentle face cleanser (never use regular soap, the bumpies are, sometimes, the reaction of a dry skin (even though your skin is mixt). So, degrease your face, rinse thoroughly and last time apply this solution as a final rinsing. You can use the soda also as a scrub (avoid eye area) your face will look healthy and all the red signs will disappear. Once a week (as a scrub) and 3-4 times per week as solution. Don t put clean water again after the soda solution. Use a hidratant, never perfumed and watch out with the face toner, don t use it daily because your skin needs at least a small quantity of sebum (which remains even after you clean with a face cleaner) but the toner will always let your skin too "clean". And that doesn t mean healthy. Same solution (water and backing soda) can be also used for a sensitive scalp and hair as a shampoo, you ll be amazed after few weeks about the result. The condition is to rinse the hair, last time with water and 2-3 spoon of vinegar (natural one) in order to clean the chalk (calkar, limestone) that that clog hair follicles - a HUGE cause of hair loss as the hair root is suffocated by the limestone that makes deposits on the scalp. Put a glass or a recipient with backing soda in your bathroom to have it there every time you need. Cheap, easy and with amazing results. Let us know!
I'll give it a whirl
Thank you kind sir

Afternoon chaps
Just thought I'd post asking for abit of advice,
Since changing to shaving with a shavette (I know I know ) my skin has been a lot clearer and healthier looking.
However I can't seem to get rid of little red bumps around my neck.
I do all the obvious prep prior to shaving , hot shower and face scrub, currently using arko shaving soap and finishing with alum block and lucky tiger face tonic, like I say my face feels smooth and soft i just can't get rid of these pesky red spots.
Does anyone else suffer with this and what remedy worked best for yourselves?
I'm debating trying the White proraso shaving soap and maybe even the pre shave cream.
Any suggestions welcome
Many thanks all
Try some shaving bump balm.

Back
Top Bottom