Shaving buying mistakes

My mistakes are mainly along the lines of others - WS and Body Shop brushes, Treet, Derby and Shark blades, and Macca Root cream (good performance but awful aroma). As a personal one, I'd add TOBS lemon & lime shaving cream and MRGLO, as it turns out that lime oil makes my face sting badly.
Yes the Maca Root is pretty rank - but a proper good latherer. As for the Wilky brush, I don't know, we might have to disagree. Oh I'm not saying it is a good brush, it's pretty awful, but.... As an entry brush that many people start off with, it is all pretty much better from there.

Also, it is sort of a test. Someone dissatisfied with gel makes a shaving change and buys a WS brush - finds it meh! But then has 2 choices - go back to gel or turn up in a place like this and give up any chances of being rich.

Wilkinson Sword Classic.

My first razor and supposedly extremely mild but it convinced me I couldn't get on with anything sharper than a 7 O'clock green without getting nicks no matter how careful I was.

The 40's English Tech showed me what a proper mild razor was like and I can now use Feather blades without any problems.

...The 40's English Tech showed me what a proper mild razor was like and I can now use Feather blades without any problems.

Yes, too many people start out with overly aggressive DE razors as many forums are chock full of fellas who are obsessed with a BBS shave. :rolleyes:

A mild razor is better for learning technique without causing trauma. Ironically, after several years of DE shaving I still reach for the legendary Schick Krona or a Gillette Tech more often than other ones. The former being IMO the greatest DE razor design of all time with its virtually idiot proof silo door bevels.

Helo gentlemen.
Some years ago I bought a simple Chinese brush,(Pure badger), For almost nothing in a shop that sells everything from a toZ.
Lasted a good fourthnight and was my 1st mistake.
The second one was buying a Musgo clasic hard shaving soap. This soap was good at lather, pitty it din´t stay on nthe face or the brush for a whole pass, no matter what I tried.

ToBS Lemon&Lime cream. Horrendous smell.
Bought a FatBoy, don't like it one bit. Bought my fourth Apollo slant, which wasn't necessary since it was the same as my third Apollo slant.

Yes, too many people start out with overly aggressive DE razors as many forums are chock full of fellas who are obsessed with a BBS shave. :rolleyes:

A mild razor is better for learning technique without causing trauma. Ironically, after several years of DE shaving I still reach for the legendary Schick Krona or a Gillette Tech more often than other ones. The former being IMO the greatest DE razor design of all time with its virtually idiot proof silo door bevels.

The funny thing is, using more aggressive razors doesn't give me a noticably better shave - I can very easily get a BBS shave with the Tech and it's as safe as houses.

A blue bowl of death. Fortunately I joined here before opening and using it, so it eventually went to a charity shop.
I've been using this in my rotation recently. The key (for me) to getting good results out of it is to load your brush to the point it is loaded, then load it some more. Prior to doing this I got dryness, poor lather and a generally unpleasant experience. After learning this, I've got very good results from it. The scent still leaves something to be desired.

I've been using this in my rotation recently. The key (for me) to getting good results out of it is to load your brush to the point it is loaded, then load it some more. Prior to doing this I got dryness, poor lather and a generally unpleasant experience. After learning this, I've got very good results from it. The scent still leaves something to be desired.

Ironically both soap and brush are half price in my local Tesco due to be being delisted
Despite your positive words I still passed

Maybe not so much a mistake or regret but more of rushing into something that I was not ready for at the time. The R41 let's just say it went straight back in the box and off to the great market place that is TSRoom's BST.

Back
Top Bottom