Shaving in London

Good evening!

I am in London on Friday with some time to spare and to save me the hassle of shaving on saturday morning, would someone be kind enough to recommend somewhere to have a 'proper' shave.

At the moment I'm split between T&H and Trumpers but am open to other recommendations.

Many thanks

Matt

There are a few other choices, murdocks have a small barbershop downstairs in liberties which is quite nice, well, really only because it's in the gents section of liberties. Just watch your credit card, it's easy to get out of control on ties and shirts in there. They have a decent stock of e & j brushes and razors there, some more trad creams and balms as well. I remember seeing proraso and maybe arko there for example.

There are a fair few murdock's outlets around town. Just be aware that you need to book in advance and they are more gentleman's grooming than old school barbers.

Then there is another franchise type thing in selfridges. Gentlemans Choice i think. That's probably my favoured place for a shave. Mainly because it acts as a man crèche while mrs pirate is off shopping. most of the stuff for sale is own brand and expensive. Obscenely expensive. I have never bought anything there.

Trumpers and Truefett are both near green park as is the ToB's shop.

There is a very trad barbers on Moorgate, it must be around number 90 on the road. This place is a gem. They also have a decent selection of brushes and razors. If I remember correctly the TOB's creams are well priced at 6 pounds plus some change.

Cheers Gents,

I had thought of EFE before (from seeing the youtube video) but I have sent 2 emails prior to 2 previous visits to London and they did not do me the courtesy of sending a reply, so I will not do them the courtesy of giving them my custom :evil:

I'll keep looking then, otherwise its looking like trumpers!

Matt

T+H for me, I've tried them and TOBS, and the T+H experience was far more serene. The TOBS barber shop is small, fairly cramped and busy and there's no time or space to relax. They're great barbers, it's just not quite the pampered, gentlemanly experience you expect.
The T+H shop is hugely roomy and airy, and it's lit naturally from skylights above. I think their products are superior too, so that maybe added to it. It's forty quid at T+H, and it takes about 40 minutes with nice fragrant hot face towels.

I would advise against T&H - my face has never ever felt so raw and its a long time there was that much claret on my face. Totally put me off the whole "barbershop" experience.

Back
Top Bottom