Shaving Items from Royal Mail problems

Does anyone have any experience with items not turning up? I am awaiting a razor from fleabay and some samples from a well respected company. I suspect the problem is with RM as post has been poor last few weeks. I don't really want to raise a dispute on ebay for that item yet as seller seemed quite helpful - responded quickly to say RM reported postage address damaged but they will resend. This could of course be nonsense...
The non-ebay items were sent first class so not sure where I stand there.
In both cases I could claim from royal mail I think but looks like a bureaucratic nightmare. How can I prove what I haven't received?

NotTheStig said:
Does anyone have any experience with items not turning up? I am awaiting a razor from fleabay and some samples from a well respected company. I suspect the problem is with RM as post has been poor last few weeks. I don't really want to raise a dispute on ebay for that item yet as seller seemed quite helpful - responded quickly to say RM reported postage address damaged but they will resend. This could of course be nonsense...
In both cases I could claim from royal mail I think but looks like a bureaucratic nightmare. How can I prove what I haven't received?

As the buyer you cant claim, the sender has to claim.

The sender has to wait 2 weeks and provide proof of purchase before they will entertain a claim.
The sender has the reponsibility of ensuring the goods you bought reach you.
This is a good reason to always pay the extra 75p (was last time I posted something) for recorded delivery.

In any case it's up to the seller to pursue RM - the contract to deliver is between the sender and Royal Mail.

I've been right around this circle many times due to the incompetence of Parcel Farce, where they contracted the "final mile" delivery to the Royal Mail Letters business because I live in a rural backwater... but due to the unique way they operate in a shared mail centre in Edinburgh, they handed over the parcels to the letters side exactly 15 minutes after the trucks taking the letters to the delivery offices eft the mail centre.

Parcel Force would not entertain any contact from me as a recipient because I didn't send the parcel. The net effect was that ParcelForce24 became a 48 hour service, PF48 a 72 hour service. The conjecture of PF was that when someone posted an item to me using the service it would be explained that 24 wasn't possible and that 48 would take an extra day.

Being a picky bastard, I actually got off my arse and posted an item from a random "Crown" Post Office (to avoid any claims of inadequate training of the clerk) and a ParcelForce depot's service counter. Recording the conversations as I did the posting. Both of them let me post it PF24, charged me full whack and neither delivered inside 48 hours. Now of course I am both seller and recipient and can make the noise... the fact I posted a GPS tracker possibly helped lol

That's when the "real fun" started involving ParcelForce uper echelons, my MP and me not giving in. Now we have ParcelForce making the deliveries :)

NotTheStig said:

I bought a chrome stand from fleabay a few months ago which never never turned up. The seller asked me to wait 3 weeks which I did, still no sign and then posted me out another which I got. With regard to claiming from RM, I think it's down to the seller to do that as the seller is the one with proof of postage.

I also ordered some screen protectors for my phone a few weeks ago which didn't turn up from amazon marketplace, the seller sent me out another packet which I received and said that he would claim from RM for the originals. Funnily the original pack turned up 4 weeks after them.

Thanks all. It makes sense that the seller would make the RM claim, and that was how it was geared on the RM site. But in the case of the non-ebay one, where I just bought over the internet, what if they don't bother? they already have my money and as sent only 1st class nothing to say whether I have or haven't had it. I have emailed them - just waiting a reply - but I always expect the worst and hope for the best. (Probably sounds less positive than I mean)

I bought some items from the B/S/T on here, which were sent First Class recorded on the 8th of September. The package finally turned up last week, four weeks after being posted.

NotTheStig said:
Thanks all. It makes sense that the seller would make the RM claim, and that was how it was geared on the RM site. But in the case of the non-ebay one, where I just bought over the internet, what if they don't bother? they already have my money and as sent only 1st class nothing to say whether I have or haven't had it. I have emailed them - just waiting a reply - but I always expect the worst and hope for the best. (Probably sounds less positive than I mean)

If it's a business, they're responsible for the goods until you receive them, so they should send a replacement.

'RM reported postage address damaged' - what does that mean?? When I have inquired at the post office as to where my parcels that I have posted are, they invariably tell me they know absolutely nothing, and all I can so is make a claim They don't tell me that the claim will be automatically refused for any spurious reason they can think of. Also, I believe they won't entertain a claim until 3 weeks has passed (within UK) and 4 if abroad. All this applies to ordinary small packages post, not signed for or tracked.
The rate of lost post is unacceptably high, and certainly affects parcels much more than letters.

Not really any help in this instance, but when sending out items ALWAYS, without fail, make sure you send items recorded or tracked, regardless of value.
Postmen DO steal post. Anything without a tracking sticker is fair game.
The figures of items 'ahem' lost each day by RM are staggering. Where does this stuff go? I lose things once in a while, but if I lost hundreds of items every day, you know something is going on.

I agree the loss of parcels is much much much more common than letter. Little seems to be done. Regarding the ebay razor and soapalchemist's question, I was paraphrasing what the ebay seller said: that RM reported the postage sticker had been ripped off. Apparently it is at a sorting office (which one?). I will wait until tomorrow then email the ebay seller again. I'm a bit fed up with it to be honest. This did have a tracking number and rm website actually says delivered on 7th

Even if both parcels arrive eventually I'm growing very weary and wary of buying anything in a box online. Will save me money in buying more and more razors and cream. Blades have always turned up: not such an interesting parcel shape.

Royal Mail are, erm, crap!

The woman behind the counter told me that recorded delivery is pretty much a waste of time, and even Special Next Day delivery isn't much better. That's from a postal employee!!

I suppose the only benefit to these is you, theoretically, have a bit more argument if something goes wrong.

And the sender has to wait 15 working days before claiming so the buyer will have to wait this long too unfortunately. However, at the end of those 15 days the seller should immediately reimburse the buyer then it is up to them to start a claim with Royal Mail (I speak from experience).

We have the same thing happening in the US. I'm no sure way countries do not consider their Postal Services as a National Priority, A source of Pride. It seems, at-least in the US, anything that is a Government service , from Mail, to Roads, to Bridges, to Education, take a back seat. We're working hard at making ourselves a third world nation!

Back
Top Bottom