Shaving Rituals

What do I mean? Is there something you do, every time you have a shave which to an outsider may seem a little odd? :?

As an example, I have. Ever since I started shaving a couple of decades ago, when I fill the sink with hot water (originally just to wash, but now to wash and soak brush), I also put my razor in the water to soak too. Why I do it is simple - my dad does it. I asked him the other day why he does it, he said it warms up the razor and anyway, that's what your grandad did :shock:

I have no idea what, if any benefits there are to a warmed up razor, but I know I will probably do it all my shaving life :)

moodymick said:
What do I mean? Is there something you do, every time you have a shave which to an outsider may seem a little odd? :?

As an example, I have. Ever since I started shaving a couple of decades ago, when I fill the sink with hot water (originally just to wash, but now to wash and soak brush), I also put my razor in the water to soak too. Why I do it is simple - my dad does it. I asked him the other day why he does it, he said it warms up the razor and anyway, that's what your grandad did :shock:

I have no idea what, if any benefits there are to a warmed up razor, but I know I will probably do it all my shaving life :)

My dad said to do it too , "Warms the Razor, Warms the Blade" :D

I do that as well with the razor, strange, no. Nelson instructed all of his ships surgeons to heat there cutting instruments prior to cutting.

Must have been a sailor in my previous.

I do the same, I heard years ago that a hot razor cuts better than a cold one so now I drop the razor into the sink along with the brush to pre soak and warm up. I have absolutely no idea whether there is any benefit!

I slap my face when I finish the shave with an A/S splash, sort of wakes me up fully. If you saw my face, you'd probably slap it too.

CanucksTraveller said:
I do the same, I heard years ago that a hot razor cuts better than a cold one so now I drop the razor into the sink along with the brush to pre soak and warm up. I have absolutely no idea whether there is any benefit!

I slap my face when I finish the shave with an A/S splash, sort of wakes me up fully. If you saw my face, you'd probably slap it too.

:lol:

About the only COB I have in life is that I just MUST shave my throat & face in exactly the same order. I've done it for some 50 yrs now, have no idea why and didn't even realise it until I sat and thought about this thread.

JohnnyO. :?

JohnnyO said:
About the only COB I have in life is that I just MUST shave my throat & face in exactly the same order.

Now you mention it, I always start at my right cheekbone and work around to finish on the left hand side of the face, that never varies. And like you I'd never really thought about it.

My razor goes in my shaving cup with my brush to heat up as well. I really don't like the feel of cold metal on my skin, especially something like a razor makes me think of films like The Matrix and Terminator for some reason.

99% of the time I shave my face in the same way as well. I have tried to introduce some sort of variation but as a creature of habit it just does not feel right and I often end up with not such a good shave so I just resort to what I know best.

moodymick said:
I also put my razor in the water to soak too.
Me too, it softens the razor.
I also ritually sacrifice a virgin before shaving to ward away evil spirits. Mind you as Im a 2 shave a day man Im rapidly running out of virgins...

Father Ted said:
moodymick said:
I also put my razor in the water to soak too.
Me too, it softens the razor.
I also ritually sacrifice a virgin before shaving to ward away evil spirits. Mind you as Im a 2 shave a day man Im rapidly running out of virgins...

there's none around these parts :oops: :oops:

Back
Top Bottom