Shaving with Dog Grooming blades

Much better! Tried the 'regular' blade. One nick on the neck in a place that is normally safe was probably caused by me being awkward about how to hold that thing. After 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) the shave was OK but not BBS except in a few places. Again I blame my inexperience with this razor and the result would probably improve over time. I decided to cheat and finish with a final pass with my Schick Golden 500. I'll give the blade another go and then try the Pathology blade. To be honest - I can't see this razor as part of my regular rotation, which is a good thing, as I won't have to worry about sourcing more blades. I hope I'll be less awkward with my newly inherited straight razor :icon_razz:. And the Ever Ready blades will be useful for trimming meat in the kitchen (in the Durham stropper).

riverrun said:
Much better! Tried the 'regular' blade. One nick on the neck in a place that is normally safe was probably caused by me being awkward about how to hold that thing. After 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) the shave was OK but not BBS except in a few places. Again I blame my inexperience with this razor and the result would probably improve over time. I decided to cheat and finish with a final pass with my Schick Golden 500. I'll give the blade another go and then try the Pathology blade. To be honest - I can't see this razor as part of my regular rotation, which is a good thing, as I won't have to worry about sourcing more blades. I hope I'll be less awkward with my newly inherited straight razor :icon_razz:. And the Ever Ready blades will be useful for trimming meat in the kitchen (in the Durham stropper).

Great write-up.
Was there significantly less tugging?

Well, I did it. I used mine with a Personna people blade. It wasn't as bad as I feared. I found that it worked best if I held the razor head almost flat on my face and used more pressure than usual. I had very little pulling at this angle and a fairly decent shave with no cuts or irritation. It was not as smooth a shave as I like so I did a cleanup pass with my Flair Tip. I think I will use it a couple more times to try and find the optimum angle. A stropping might help as well. I am interested to hear how people blades work for you @Darkbulb.
[attachment=14005]
[attachment=14004]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431698929.478216.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431698929.478216.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 9
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431700359.368258.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431700359.368258.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 9
Mrchick said:
Well, I did it. I used mine with a Personna people blade. It wasn't as bad as I feared. I found that it worked best if I held the razor head almost flat on my face and used more pressure than usual. I had very little pulling at this angle and a fairly decent shave with no cuts or irritation. It was not as smooth a shave as I like so I did a cleanup pass with my Flair Tip. I think I will use it a couple more times to try and find the optimum angle. A stropping might help as well. I am interested to hear how people blades work for you @Darkbulb.

That's done it. I'll have to reload and try again with my Dorset. Flat, extra pressure and back stroke. Got it....

Mrchick said:

Very interesting and happy to hear that people are having some success :)

Super! Sounds like results all round ...

Thing is, if it's not for you, it's not for you (I have a number of razors that I simply cannot get on with), but at least having the chance to try it with a known good and decent blade helps to form that decision properly.

Darkbulb said:
riverrun said:

Great write-up.
Was there significantly less tugging?
Strangely no. My experience with the Ever Ready blades was strange. Little tugging or pulling, no nicks or cuts, just a slight feeling of roughness. Then after three passes my face exploded with pain. The alum block might as well have been a wire brush. I had to re-apply soothing Speick aftershave balm all day. The worst shave of my life. The (regular) Personna blades felt sharper, but not massively so. Luckily they pain afterwards never happened. I have no explanation of why one of those blades is so much worse than the other, but the Ever Ready blades are now awaiting their next job in the kitchen. Maybe a nice slice of shin of beef next week?

Back
Top Bottom