Shoes for work

Hi guys,

I am an IFA and trying to smarten up my image, without looking sleazy or flash.

Just got a nice new suit made by Remus Uomo, which is dark grey, and looking for some nice new shoes (instead of the sainsburys ones I currently wear)

I dont want to go mad spending an absoloute fortune, but interested in what you guys would suggest - I was looking at the Loakes thread, but dont know much about them.... budget around 60-70. size 10.

Loakes.

Very smart and extremely hard wearing. Takes a little while to wear them in, but very comfortable thereafter.

Recommended to me by a colleague who was an ex-policeman. No one knows shoes like cops!

I doubt you will get loake's at that price unless you manage to pick some up in a sale. You need to find out your width fitting if you are ordering online. If there is a proper shoe shop near you then they will be able to measure you. Clarks may even still do it. If you are a medium fit which is an F, you can sometimes go down half a size when you order a G fitting.
Herring have a sale search function on the homepage and do regular discounts. If it was me I would up the budget a little bit and get a better quality shoe, it will work out cheaper in the long run.

http://herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=2&catid=86&shoeid=5124&selectedsizeid=11&selectedfitid=3&stype=1

I too am an IFA and having worn through black formal shoes purchased for around £20 in about 2 months, I started looking at more expensive shoes.

Around 12 years ago, I purchased three pairs for shoes two pairs of Loake and something else (I can't remember what!) the idea is that after shoes have been worn they are damp and if worn repeatedly they stay damp and rot very quickly, by rotating three pairs they dry out and last.

12 years later all three pairs are still going strong, regular cleaning, reheeling and resoling and they last and last. One more tip, the leather sole wears through and is difficult and expensive to replace, your local cobbler will stick on a rubber pad over the leather for a few quid and this is cheap to replace when wears.

I have to say one pair has split on the toe area but the cobblers have repaired this and I still am happy to wear as you can't see the repair.

Result about £300 spent 12 years ago seems to e very good value for money! Can I suggest you try to push your budget up a little and get good quality shoes, you won't regret it!

IFA - independent financial adviser.

Point taken regarding budget - it looks like loakes are the way to go... im just worried as I destroy my shoes!!!

Cheers for the thoughts!

Whatever you buy, look after them. Polish them and use shoe trees, they'll last longer.

I have a pair of smart Cheaney shoes and Chatham deck shoes, looking after them has kept them in great condition for about 3 years so far and I'm expecting a good few more.

You can significantly lengthen the life of even the cheapest shoes with regular polishing.

I just buy shoes in the sale at Clarkes and they last for ages. 1 pair, no shoe tree, wear them 5 days a week and they last long enough.

Ian

Scswalex said:
12 years later all three pairs are still going strong, regular cleaning, reheeling and resoling and they last and last.

When I read this, Trigger from Only Fools and Horses and his trusty broom sprung to mind. :icon_razz:

Anyone who drops 300 quid on a pair of shoes could do with a financial advisor in my opinion. The sale rail at Clarkes is rich enough for me.

However to contradict my own opinion I was advised years ago never to scrimp on ones shoes or bed, as you are either in one or the other. Allowing for my lifestyle I could probably add sofa to that list.

Anyway, back to the scrotum shaving thread for me....

A case for spending a decent amount of money on a good pair of shoes...
http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2012/01/buy-good-english-shoes.html#.UwPcJ0J_vRU

Clearly a balance has to be struck between budget and quality. However, for me £200 on a really nice pair of English-made Loake 1880s was a justifiable luxury; they simply look and feel so much better than your average pair of Clarks, and they should last longer too.

If you want to make an impression in your professional life, don't scrimp on the wardrobe.

antdad said:
Except cops don't walk anywhere and usually get their shoes issued. What's an IFA before googling it?
[/quot

Ah for the good old sixties when I got a boot allowance and on occasion was required to parade with two pairs of black non toe cap lacing boots (minimum 6 eyelets each side). Course that was before I really got into the money by being posted to a cycle beat & moved onto my monthly cycle allowance of around 3 shillings and ninepence to supply and maintain my 26" bottle green steed. Liverpool City Police knew how to spoil their cops in those halycon days.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom