Should I Ditch DE?

I've been using a straight pretty much every day since Christmas and over the last few weeks I feel my technique is certainly 75% there anyway. I don't feel a need to use a DE now and am therefore contemplating selling off my blades and my one remaining razor. I figure that if I did have a period when I couldn't use a straight, say if I got the 'flu, I could always get some Bic single blade disposables to tide me over.

So, has anybody here gone exclusively straight* or has everyone got either a DE or a cartridge razor hidden away in reserve?

*Should have made that the thread title as it sounds a bit rude. :s

I've been using only straights for about four months now, my SE and DE are sitting on the shelf looking very neglected and unloved. I know exactly what you mean, but I think i'll still hang on to mine, you never know.

You'll be in a rush one day PC. I haven't even got rid of cartridges to be honest... I still keep a Sensor for those days where work decide to drag me in at 4am. I lather up with a brush but I whack the bristles with the Sensor and it saves me 7 minutes or so.

I think you should keep that DE, it'll come in handy.

Haven't touched an off the shelf razor for 5 years and Never intend to.

For me i found success with boots anti friction shave gel, which makes things alot easier for me and quicker. I don't use a brush, but still have a good pre & post regime.

How much space or tied up capital can one wee razor & some blades involve ? I know it's not quite the same, however straight shaving pretty much stopped for me when I started to develop cataracts & the ole handies became not as steady as they once were. So I was pleased to have a couple of olde shavings pals to return to.

Now, of course, I use a single edge ............ Just like a real man !!!

JohnnyO. \:angel:

^^ true what Tony said or if you get a tennis elbow (yeah right, but the same kind of injury - you dirty, dirty man) or something and need a more forgiving tool ...

I must say I've been facing the same dilemma but DE is very useful for traveling, if you have a large blade stash that may be worth thinning out but otherwise I'd say keep hold of them.

Having one DE razor is to me a no brainer - you should keep. Re blades, if you hold a stock of (say) 1k plus, then yes, you can unload... But a couple of hundred in the den will do no harm really.

As others have done, I've myself been thinking to sell some more of my DEs. Few I wouldn't part with at all, couple of others I haven't tried them yet, few SEs are still here in case I may decide to shave like a real man :p later on in life, etc.

I feel that one should not really sell something that he may have to go back and buy again (new or vintage) at a later stage.

Thanks chaps for the sage advice and the smattering of smut thrown in. I think I probably should keep my one remaining razor. It's a Schick Krona that I bought off Sunbury, so it has some sentimental value (he told me he'd once used it for an all-over body shave :s) and my blade stash isn't enormous, well not by TSR standards anyway! It is quite possible that I'll regret the sale and, in a few months or years, end up buying everything back again. :icon_rolleyes:

Pig Cat said:
Thanks chaps for the sage advice and the smattering of smut thrown in. I think I probably should keep my one remaining razor. It's a Schick Krona that I bought off Sunbury, so it has some sentimental value (he told me he'd once used it for an all-over body shave :s) and my blade stash isn't enormous, well not by TSR standards anyway! It is quite possible that I'll regret the sale and, in a few months or years, end up buying everything back again. :icon_rolleyes:

That is a nice razor. Was surprised when you asked me for it and to send it up without cleaning it first !

sunburyboy93 said:
Pig Cat said:

That is a nice razor. Was surprised when you asked me for it and to send it up without cleaning it first !

I've just had breakfast, cheers chaps...

Although i'm only just starting on the straight shaving life, no way am i also giving up DE, especially for trips away with work and also the fact i can shave twice a day and wouldn't want to use a straight in the morning pre work for safety reasons...

I shave only with straights have done for well over a year now however I still have my DE razors in stock just in case. However as my boys grow into men I can see my stock going down a little bit.

My birth razors 2 of them and my dad's and father in-laws razors are also on the shelf just in case. So if I was you PC I would keep the DE and just buy a lot more straights as they always look lonely unless you have them all over the house.

Yeah, hang on to it Adam - you may as well. I haven't used a DE more than half a dozen times in the last 18 months and may decide to get rid of a few in the end, but not all of them.

Back
Top Bottom