Simpsons Duke 3 - Best Badger

antdad said:
Frederick said:
Simply a smaller knot size would make a considerable difference. So a CH1 in best might be your ticket. From what I gather, the new chubbies are denser and stiffer than the new dukes, no matter the size. I believe DrP has covered this topic quite extensively on SMF.

That is my experience with the Simfix Chubby Best and Duke Best.

You have to be careful about definition's' here...I've had brushes that have been so soft that you can't do anything but paint the lather onto your'e face, like using a wet mop, it's physically impossible to do anything else and that is what I would call "floppy"

I also have a newish CH1 best and that is quite soft but the density makes it nicely scrubby, physically the shape of the knot has not changed since new and it has not significantly softened. The Duke/Tulip are not the way to go JH you might be better off trying to find the right Rooney.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I don't want floppy. I sold a Vulfix (my first brush) after I discovered I preferred face lathering soaps.

I'm finding my 3/1 nice and firm, and dense, yet I find the tips a bit prickly. So, I guess I need to be looking at Heritage range? Perhaps an Emillion or a Stubby?

John

PS. Sorry if this is a bit OT but I was seriously considering a Duke 3!

The only other consideration would be the Simpson's 2 band range if you a are willing to spend that sort of money, see the "loads of money" post.

Definitely not the Duke 3, if you didn't get on with the CH2 best then the Duke 3 is not for you.

antdad said:
Definitely not the Duke 3, if you didn't get on with the CH2 best then the Duke 3 is not for you.

Well.... I received a Duke 3 today and have just shaved with it. All I can say is...(famous last words) I think I have finally found my perfect brush. What is more, it's a bargain too! :mrgreen:

The Duke 3 doesn't seem to get much press on the forums and I don't know why - it seems like the perfect all rounder.

The main reason I didn't get on with the Chubby 2 was its size (too big) and partly because of that, its softness.

The Duke 3 seems to have addressed both points for me, while still being a very dense brush!

It's the perfect size for me, sitting somewhere between the CH1 (too small) and CH2 (too big), in both handle and loft.

It reminds me of a Rooney 3/1 crossed with a Chubby = dense, not too big or too small, and get this: it's not a lather hog either, which I didn't expect given its density.

I'm going to hold off for now and report back once I have used it a few more times (it may break in more and change its characteristics), but at the moment, it seems like it may be "the one" I was looking for!

John

Glad you found your perfect brush. Unless my Duke 3 is very different to your's I didn't quite find it up to the task with soaps and face lathering so I am happy to use it as a cream brush, we will see.

antdad said:
Glad you found your perfect brush. Unless my Duke 3 is very different to your's I didn't quite find it up to the task with soaps and face lathering so I am happy to use it as a cream brush, we will see.

I'm surprised by this comment - my Duke is very dense (almost Chubby dense, but not quite) and has short loft (45mm I think). It seems perfect for face lathering soaps, and is just the right size for my ugly mug.

Maybe there are sample variations?

Fido said:
Just reflects our individual preferences.

...through experience. The Duke 3 is a good all round brush but I much prefer my Chubby 1 Best over my Duke 3 Best for face lathering with soaps.

The knot's do "look" similar but the CH1 feels and performs quite differently.

antdad said:
Fido said:
Just reflects our individual preferences.

...through experience. The Duke 3 is a good all round brush but I much prefer my Chubby 1 Best over my Duke 3 Best for face lathering with soaps.

The knot's do "look" similar but the CH1 feels and performs quite differently.

Classic YMMV. I find the Chubby 1 (mine is Super) to be way too small. It's awkward to hold, doesn't hold enough for 3-4 passes, the lather cools too quickly, and because the handle is so small I get lather all over my hand which makes it slippery and hard to hold the brush. I also find it too hard on my face, and I like a good facial massage.

My Duke 3 has a slightly larger, slightly less dense knot, and the handle is just about right.....

....However! I'm beginning to re-think my brush preferences, maybe due to the colder weather. I think I may now prefer less dense brushes with a slightly longer loft (50-55mm)! :shock:

John

Incidentally, I recall reading on B&B that the first lot of Vulfix-made Dukes had longer lofts, and may people complained.

The new Dukes apparently have shorter lofts again, and I presume that's what I have. It's around 45mm. I wouldn't want any shorter.

John

jhclare said:
....However! I'm beginning to re-think my brush preferences, maybe due to the colder weather. I think I may now prefer less dense brushes with a slightly longer loft (50-55mm)! :shock:

John

You're really not surprising me there John...but what's the cold weather got to do with it?

I had the same experience initially with my CH1 Best, I had lather all over the place but as with all brushes you get used to it, adapt, change grip, learn to use it in a different way with a different product. I don't have a problem with it holding enough lather or heat but you've got to get the soap and heat in there in the first place and then protect and keep it warm with either a bowl, mug or scuttle.

I agree though my D3 has a more comfortable handle and it is a good all round brush but mine has a loft of 50mm so maybe I got a duffer...somehow though I'm sure you will be buying and rejected more brushes in the future.

antdad said:
jhclare said:

John
You're really not surprising me there John...but what's the cold weather got to do with it?

Well, I'm finding my face is a bit dry and sensitive with the coming of the colder weather. It's become sensitive to scrubby brushes, particularly those with prickly tips and short, dense knots (Simpsons....)

The Rooney Heritage Alibaba line looks very promising! :D

John

Back
Top Bottom