single speed bikes

im looking at buying a new bike through the cycle to work scheme, saving quite a few quid. im interested in getting a single speed bike, as its just to get to work and back and using it get around town. has anyone got any experience of single speeds or any opinion on them?

yeah, i was originally looking at 3 speeds but then got into the idea of single speed bikes. i thought single speed would be ideal for me as i had a hybrid bike last time out and once i got used to it rarely used more than one gear.

Single speed, like a BMX?
Doing bunny hops & 360's. Great idea!

If you mean one of those things that beardy types (hipsters) ride around on here in London, then leave your brogues at the door on the way out :)

jaycey said:
Single speed, like a BMX?
Doing bunny hops & 360's. Great idea!

If you mean one of those things that beardy types (hipsters) ride around on here in London, then leave your brogues at the door on the way out :)

hipsters you say? :icon_eek: i live in the north, i wasnt aware of this phenomenon.

isaiah53 said:
yeah, i was originally looking at 3 speeds but then got into the idea of single speed bikes. i thought single speed would be ideal for me as i had a hybrid bike last time out and once i got used to it rarely used more than one gear.
Assume there are no hills. Will you be using "fixie" or freewheel. The former is Exciting but you need practice, and to be clipped to pedals for control.

mpf9ret said:
isaiah53 said:
Assume there are no hills. Will you be using "fixie" or freewheel. The former is Exciting but you need practice, and to be clipped to pedals for control.

definitely freewheel for the moment. id just be using it around town, theres banks and stuff but nothing seriously up hill.

isaiah53 said:
mpf9ret said:
isaiah53 said:

definitely freewheel for the moment. id just be using it around town, theres banks and stuff but nothing seriously up hill.
Freewheel is a bit frustrating. For fitness, use a fixie. Commuting etc , a 3speed would be more efficient,and assist fitness, cost implications though.Something like Dawes urban express would be wort a look,

mpf9ret said:
isaiah53 said:
mpf9ret said:
isaiah53 said:

Freewheel is a bit frustrating. For fitness, use a fixie. Commuting etc , a 3speed would be more efficient,and assist fitness, cost implications though.Something like Dawes urban express would be wort a look,

My original answer assumed you were thinking fixed wheel. Not sure there is a great difference in price between single gear and say 3 gear SA - so on that basis you might want to cosider having gears just in case you go further afield.

I have a Pashley 5 gear SA with hub brakes - very low maintenance - apart from when you have to change the rear tyre when the gear chain and brake cables all have to be disconnected.

mpf9ret said:

the dawes urban express is one of the ones ive been looking at , as well as the marin 2015 fairfax, both look the sort of things ive been after. im just trying to figure out if a single speed will be worth buying :)

UKRob said:
My original answer assumed you were thinking fixed wheel. Not sure there is a great difference in price between single gear and say 3 gear SA - so on that basis you might want to cosider having gears just in case you go further afield.

I have a Pashley 5 gear SA with hub brakes - very low maintenance - apart from when you have to change the rear tyre when the gear chain and brake cables all have to be disconnected.

im still interested in a 3 gear bike, and a pashley is also on my radar. i really like the look of the pashley parabike, its a beautiful looking bike but not sure whether its going to be practical as i live in an upstairs flat and dont know whether the weight might be a bit much lugging it up and down stairs.

isaiah53 said:
mpf9ret said:

the dawes urban express is one of the ones ive been looking at , as well as the marin 2015 fairfax, both look the sort of things ive been after. im just trying to figure out if a single speed will be worth buying :)

UKRob said:

im still interested in a 3 gear bike, and a pashley is also on my radar. i really like the look of the pashley parabike, its a beautiful looking bike but not sure whether its going to be practical as i live in an upstairs flat and dont know whether the weight might be a bit much lugging it up and down stairs.
IMHO quite ugly, have seen the original not up too much. Not sure about Pashley quality, too trendy. The Countryman looks a better bet ,531 tubing.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess :) i was under the impression pashley bikes were very well made, im not really that up on bikes to be honest just that odd bits of stuff i read. i think the pashleys wont be that practical for me tbh but i love the looks, and the countryman is going to be out of my price range.

mpf9ret said:
IMHO quite ugly, have seen the original not up too much. Not sure about Pashley quality, too trendy. The Countryman looks a better bet ,531 tubing.
I don't know whether to be pleased or offended that you consider my Pashley to be trendy. It's certainly well build and is not the lightest thing - but it was build in Stratford on Avon and I love the design - mine is the rounded cross bar version with almost cow horn handle bars that makes a very comfortable riding position. It's also ten years old so I must have been a trend setter. My wife will be pleased. (She has one too).:icon_smile:

Back
Top Bottom