slim adjustable help

just got a slim off ebay, spent the weekend cleaning it up and ive got it looking like new. its only this afternoon when ive been running through its settings that ive noticed an uneven blade gap on the lower settings. on 1 theres very little gap on one side, and its noticeably uneven up to 3, then 4 it starts to even out.
i was planning to start off on a 5 setting anyway, and the uneven gap is not as obvious on there, and wasnt planing on using the low settings. is there a quick fix to even the gap out?

'Boil it to buggery' would be my usual advice, but in this case where you may have a more sensitive mechanism not to mention the numbering on the bevel, I'd agree with the Count.

Maybe dropping it in bicarbonate of soda and water may penetrate it sufficiently to free it off?

isaiah53 said:
ive noticed an uneven blade gap on the lower settings. on 1 theres very little gap on one side, and its noticeably uneven up to 3, then 4 it starts to even out.
is there a quick fix to even the gap out?

That's a surprisingly common problem with the Slim, although the other Gillette adjustables can also have it. To my knowledge something is outta whack and needs to be realigned or adjusted. Boiling or cleaning won't do the trick.

There is a member who is an expert at fixing that kinda thing. He may be along to offer his services. Give him a day or so. If not then there's some posts on that subject if you do a search. It is fixable though.

yeah, i dont think its a question of soaking, ive given it two soaks in soapy boiling water and also in bicarbonate of soda. i definitely think its something thats not centred right, its not massive but its noticeable. im slightly deflated, as after the cleaning it looks fantastic.

No idea without looking at it tbh, IF one side of safety bar has taken a knock all you need to do is get a flat headed screwdriver and lever it downwards VERY gently (using the two slots kindly provided by Gillette) one half at a time.

ive been going down the flat blade screwdriver route. ive got it a little more even but left a few marks when ive got frustrated with it, im going to leave it a few days then return to it in a calmer frame of mind.

This is indeed a very common problem, caused by drops onto hard bathroom floors or sinks over the years.

It's relatively easy to sort though.

One method is to tap the top of the centre bar (the part that sits proud of the silo doors when the razor is closed) with a rubber mallet. Tap the side where the gap is wider and check the gap for evenness.

Another method is to use pliers to gently 'lift' the guide bar next to the wider gap. To avoid marking the guide bar, I tend to carry out this 'adjustment' prior to polishing and replating. (I hear you say, 'well that doesn't help me much!')

So, to avoid marking the guide bar on razors that don't need plating, I bought a pair of small Pincer Type Pliers - used for cutting nails and wire (I think) and filing the sharp edges until blunt and rounded. This allows the Guide bar to be tweaked without damage to the plating.

Hope this helps

Dave

isaiah53 said:
ive been going down the flat blade screwdriver route. ive got it a little more even but left a few marks when ive got frustrated with it, im going to leave it a few days then return to it in a calmer frame of mind.

onotoman said:
This is indeed a very common problem, caused by drops onto hard bathroom floors or sinks over the years.

It's relatively easy to sort though.

One method is to tap the top of the centre bar (the part that sits proud of the silo doors when the razor is closed) with a rubber mallet. Tap the side where the gap is wider and check the gap for evenness.

Another method is to use pliers to gently 'lift' the guide bar next to the wider gap. To avoid marking the guide bar, I tend to carry out this 'adjustment' prior to polishing and replating. (I hear you say, 'well that doesn't help me much!')

So, to avoid marking the guide bar on razors that don't need plating, I bought a pair of small Pincer Type Pliers - used for cutting nails and wire (I think) and filing the sharp edges until blunt and rounded. This allows the Guide bar to be tweaked without damage to the plating.

Hope this helps

Dave

Now, that's exactly the kind of post a 'like' button was designed for! Informative, well written, & interesting... Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom