Smelling nice etc.

Currently have

Trumper Spanish Leather cologne
Roger & Gallet Extra Vielle EDT
DR Harris Traditional Cologne

The Spanish Leather is my fave for going out, but a 'friendly visit' to somebody else when we plan to stay in will find me with one of the others, that won't clash with the food. The Harris traditional changes from application to a very different scent an hour later, which I like. ALso loved Taylor's Shaving Shop cologne.

I'm probably a bit of a snob but Hugo Boss which I used to wear just no longer has the appeal.

Next purchase will be Woods of Windsor or Floris Santal.

JDE said:
cerruti-1881-m500.jpg

Nice and certainly cheap if you look in the right places, but a little bit too floral/rose-y for me. Quite a lot going on and a little muddled, too.

I bought this one Duty Free in Portugal on the way back from holiday a couple of years ago and quite liked it when I tried it in the airport. I'm not sure if it was the heat over there affecting the scent, but when I got it home to our wonderful climate and wore it again I completely hated it, found it nauseatingly sweet. I passed it on to my son and he loves it so it wasn't a complete waste.

hando said:
a more apt description than my wife gave.

you smell like a man, like a big sweaty cowboy who's been in the saddle for days and needs a bath, a shave, a cold beer and a woman

:shock:

Hando, I'm still trying to work out if that was a compliment :?

A good website for anyone here in to smelly stuff is:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.basenotes.net/">http://www.basenotes.net/</a><!-- m -->

Just in case you haven't heard of it. :)

PaulH said:
ToBs Mr Taylor

Nice light summery citrus scent. Lasts all day

Evening Paul! You might be able to help me. I've been using the Mr Taylor shaving cream recently, and am considering buying some of the cologne. How accurate a match to the cream is the cologne, would you say? I've got a decant on it's way from Connaught, so I'll find out soon enough for myself, but would appreciate your experience. Some say that Truefitt and Hill's Grafton cologne is a more accurate match to Mr Taylor cream scent....?

I only have the one aftershave at the moment, Taylors sandalwood, and I'm not especially taken with it. Not as pleasant as the equivalent cream in my opinion, and not very long lasting. On the plus side, it stings like a hornet which I find bracing, and my wife likes it.

factormax said:
PaulH said:
ToBs Mr Taylor

Nice light summery citrus scent. Lasts all day

Evening Paul! You might be able to help me. I've been using the Mr Taylor shaving cream recently, and am considering buying some of the cologne. How accurate a match to the cream is the cologne, would you say? I've got a decant on it's way from Connaught, so I'll find out soon enough for myself, but would appreciate your experience. Some say that Truefitt and Hill's Grafton cologne is a more accurate match to Mr Taylor cream scent....?

Hi fm,
I have only tried the ToBs Lavender and Almond creams, both of which I like. They are pleasant but not overpowering so I would imagine the Mr Taylor cream is something similar (I have yet to try it), however what I would say is that the cologne is a particular favourite of mine. If you do try it and decide it's not for you I'd be happy to buy it from you, but somehow I think that if you like the cream you will not be disappointed with the cologne

Prada Amber-my fave
YSL something-quite nice
Zara-ok
DR Harris Freshening Cologne-a great every day, V fresh
Mont Blanc Starsomething -rank was gift

Want Penhaligans Hammam Bouquet, love that.
Have few wee samples

Favourites that I own are:
Czech & Speake #88 / Blenheim Bouquet / Knize Ten
Favourites that I wish I owned:
Creed Cuir de Russie
The one I have to wear for the Wing Commander:
Kouros (knocks her bandy, bandy I tells yer)

I used to have quite a few colognes by Trumper, AdP, a.o. but nowadays, I live of just these three made by Taylor of Old Bond street:

-Victorian limes (mornings, summer afternoons)
-Sandalwood (cold days or evenings)
-Mr Taylor (good always and everywhere)

I like the fact that TOBS still sells these colognes for 18 GBP which is really cheap compared to others. They offer good quality traditional products. Also no atomisers which I dislike a lot.

C&S No88 - when loitering around funeral parlours and or grave yards.

C&S Oxford & Cambridge - when in any house of learning and or libraries.

Aqua di Parma Colonia - when in uniform.

L'occitane - L'occitane when out hunting.

Penhaligens - Racuets or Endymion when i go to bed......alone.....in silk sheets...

oh shit.....wrong forum.......sorry

Continuing RB73's excellent thread on Scents for Situations:-

Glycerine & Rosewater - Whilst plundering a treasure fleet, bringing an exotic plant from the Indies to my Lady-love, and quite probably composing a sonnet at the same time!
If you need any further clues think Drake, Raleigh & Hawkins.

Back
Top Bottom