Smells like, fly spray???

I was wandering around London with the current Mrs Soup Dragon recently, and we 'accidentally' found ourselves in Trumpers (what are the chances)? T'was the first time I'd been in there, or any similar gentleman's emporium TBH. I wasn't planning to buy anything but was half thinking of getting some new smelly stuff. As Mrs SD would have to put up with the smell, I employed her as a consultant and we tried a few testers.

Her comments were, in turn: "that one smells like furniture polish"; "that one smells like oven cleaner"; "that smells like fly spray". I don't think (I hope) the staff heard her, but I have to say I agreed with her! All the ones I tried were overpowering citrusy and/or medicinal smelling. Not for me :( Was I just unlucky?

An hour later I wandered out of TOBs with some of their Jermyn Street AS, shaving soap and a few other bits and pieces. Altogether more pleasant to my and importantly my wife's, snozzer. Not amazing, but quite pleasant in an old fashioned way. Still on the lookout for a really nice scent, but it won't be the fly spray from Trumpers!

Did you try Spanish Leather at Trumpers? Lovely aroma of the soap used in the Spanish leather tanning process, and quite reminiscent of Cusson's Imperial Leather bath soap if you've ever used that.

chrisbell said:
Did you try Spanish Leather at Trumpers? Lovely aroma of the soap used in the Spanish leather tanning process, and quite reminiscent of Cusson's Imperial Leather bath soap if you've ever used that.

I don't think so, I might of liked that one as I love the smell of Imperial Leather

Soup Dragon said:
chrisbell said:

I don't think so, I might of liked that one as I love the smell of Imperial Leather

I'll see if I can find a suitable atomiser or bottle to sent you a sample. If I can, I'll send you a PM to get your address. It's cologne strength, so don't go splashing it on shaved areas - a light splash on the back or sides of the neck, and a similar amount on the chest should be plenty.

chrisbell said:
Soup Dragon said:
chrisbell said:

I'll see if I can find a suitable atomiser or bottle to sent you a sample. If I can, I'll send you a PM to get your address. It's cologne strength, so don't go splashing it on shaved areas - a light splash on the back or sides of the neck, and a similar amount on the chest should be plenty.

Wow Chris, that's very kind, thank you.

Trumpers Spanish Leather is very nice, one of my favourites, the wife's not so keen so I use that when travelling. I don't much like the rest of the Trumper range. In the TOBS line I like in order, Eton College, Jermyn Street, My Taylor, and St James.

Most shaving products I've tried have a horribly dated or just plain cheap fragrance. Your wife is quite correct in her critique. It's one of my few disappointments upon returning to DE shaving.
The difference between budget products and more upmarket ones seems to be more fragrance rather than better fragrance.
For example: Proraso red shaving cream may lather a bit better than Ingrams but it absolutely reeks where as the Ingrams smells gently of menthol. For the gentleman the choice is a simple one.
Surely only a cad would choose to smell of fly spray........

chrisbell said:

And I really think it's a bit poor if Trumpers can't do considerably better for their prices than Cussons do for 89p at Asda .

Darren said:
Most shaving products I've tried have a horribly dated or just plain cheap fragrance. Your wife is quite correct in her critique. It's one of my few disappointments upon returning to DE shaving.
The difference between budget products and more upmarket ones seems to be more fragrance rather than better fragrance.
For example: Proraso red shaving cream may lather a bit better than Ingrams but it absolutely reeks where as the Ingrams smells gently of menthol. For the gentleman the choice is a simple one.

chrisbell said:

And I really think it's a bit poor if Trumpers can't do considerably better for their prices than Cussons do for 89p at Asda .

Well, it isn't the same - I did say "reminiscent". Anyway, I appreciate that you have yet to find an upper-end scent that you like, but your inference that all higher-end stuff is a waste of money as it's inferior to the cheap stuff is a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

Och Darren, away an' bile yer heid! :D

After all, tha likes the sweaty old man aftershave scent of Palmolive.....;)

Taylor's Shaving Shop, Mr Taylor's and the No.74 limes are first class scents and their shaving creams are equally well scented. The rose smells just like the rosa rugosa 'Roseraie de l'Hay at my back door - very natural. Penhaligons has a fantastic reputation for their scents and as the lads above have said the Trumper's Spanish Leather is highly thought of. Bet thee has all of David Beckham's branded scents as well as a pair of Posh's k-nickers! :icon_lol:

Right, where's me Old Spice?

Gairdner said:

Taylor's Shaving Shop, Mr Taylor's and the No.74 limes are first class scents and their shaving creams are equally well scented. The rose smells just like the rosa rugosa 'Roseraie de l'Hay at my back door - very natural. Penhaligons has a fantastic reputation for their scents and as the lads above have said the Trumper's Spanish Leather is highly thought of. Bet thee has all of David Beckham's branded scents as well as a pair of Posh's k-nickers! :icon_lol:

Whilst it probably display a remarkable lack of class and taste, I actually don't mind the smell of the Palmolive shaving stick :blush: and it performs brilliantly for the price. Sweaty old man? How very dare you! :mad: :)

Soup Dragon said:
Gairdner said:

Whilst it probably displays a remarkable lack of class and taste, I actually don't mind the smell of the Palmolive shaving stick :blush: and it performs brilliantly for the price. Sweaty old man? How very dare you! :mad: :)

Re: RE: Smells like, fly spray???

chrisbell said:
Darren said:

chrisbell said:

Well, it isn't the same - I did say "reminiscent". Anyway, I appreciate that you have yet to find an upper-end scent that you like, but your inference that all higher-end stuff is a waste of money as it's inferior to the cheap stuff is a bit of a sweeping generalisation.

Point taken, I should, perhaps, have made a more qualified statement. However, I didn't mention overall product value... I was talking about fragrance quality, which, in my limited experience is poor in many of the shaving products I have tried.

Gairdner said:

You crack me up. If I do boil my head will it soften my beard? :D:p
A bit more seriously all the fantastic reputation fragrances you mention are very, very trad. There is no getting away from it. Some of us are still young and beautiful and would like to smell like it rather than grandads sock drawer.
Did some one mention Victoria B's knickers? I'm wearing a pair as I type!

Darren said:
Did some one mention Victoria B's knickers? I'm wearing a pair as I type!
......aye, oan yer heid, covering yer nose!

Young and beautiful? I can just see you as the Palmolive Pin-up Boy: Hello Sailor!

8501400350_21dae6a9dd.jpg

My, what lovely soft skin you have!

That is Damn funny. :D:D:D:D
By the way: that's on old photo as I no longer wear a mustache...... It so dates one.
Only the Scottish could think such crass facial adornment cool.

Darren said:
That is Damn funny. :D:D:D:D
By the way: that's on old photo as I no longer wear a mustache...... It so dates one.
Only the Scottish could think such crass facial adornment cool.

Thin ice, treacle.

Back
Top Bottom