Smelly choices...

Q. How do you choose which A/s, EDT, EDP etc. to wear?

A. I, often, go on mood or occasion. I tend away from the 'nightclub'-type scents for the working day, and tend also not to go for something overly 'in your face'. However, I'm a definite deliberator. I find it difficult to make up my mind, my other half can most certainly vouch for that. A small proportion of my daily routine is deciding on a scent, then re-deciding, then deciding again, then questioning my decision... As for choosing new scents, I tend to read reviews and scent profiles and, more often than not, buy blind! In fact, the only one I've not bought blind recently was 4711... It smelled lovely on the test strip but on me it smells dirty/musty and I much preferred the clean citrus I got on the tester.

How do you choose what to wear on a day-to-day basis? Also, how do you choose your new scents?

Q. How do you choose which A/s, EDT, EDP etc. to wear?

A. I, often, go on mood or occasion. I tend away from the 'nightclub'-type scents for the working day, and tend also not to go for something overly 'in your face'. However, I'm a definite deliberator. I find it difficult to make up my mind, my other half can most certainly vouch for that. A small proportion of my daily routine is deciding on a scent, then re-deciding, then deciding again, then questioning my decision... As for choosing new scents, I tend to read reviews and scent profiles and, more often than not, buy blind! In fact, the only one I've not bought blind recently was 4711... It smelled lovely on the test strip but on me it smells dirty/musty and I much preferred the clean citrus I got on the tester.

How do you choose what to wear on a day-to-day basis? Also, how do you choose your new scents?
I choose my scent depending on weather, (hot or cold) time of year, my mood on any particular day, it's a very complex thing choosing a scent, the only time I know what I'm going to put on is on Sunday .....Old Spice Sunday!
I buy on discription or if recomended by someone, I like clones of more expensive scents and I prefer scents with some punch, if you have to get up very close to be able to smell it it's not powerful enough for me.
The purfume oils are very good also, so many to choose from!

I choose my scent depending on weather, (hot or cold) time of year, my mood on any particular day, it's a very complex thing choosing a scent, the only time I know what I'm going to put on is on Sunday .....Old Spice Sunday!
I buy on discription or if recomended by someone, I like clones of more expensive scents and I prefer scents with some punch, if you have to get up very close to be able to smell it it's not powerful enough for me.
The purfume oils are very good also, so many to choose from!
I fully appreciate the 'clones' approach. However, I can also appreciate the credit given to a fragrance which has been cloned. It must have been good for it to be cloned, but with that reputation comes expense. Perfume oils are a good way to go about it - I've been considering Al Rehab Silver which is apparently a Creed Silver Mountain Water clone. The issue with these replicas is it may never stack up to the original.

Al Rehab Silver certainly stacks up to the original. I often try to pair my soaps to a post or failing that whatever takes my fancy. Like for instance it is warm here and tomorrow seeing as I am home and want to be busy outside I will use a Floid with menthol or Proraso splash.

For day to day use I go for milder scents, weekends I go for more pronounced and use the better stuff. Cheapies for non special use. Though I am a believer in not keeping anything for best or what is the point in buying it.

I generally wear whatever all year round, don't bother only wearing a scent or using a soap seasonally. A good website for scents is fragrantica, before I buy something I usually have a look at what the rating and how the scent is broken down. I quite fancy trying Cerutti 1881 but am undecided currently

I fully appreciate the 'clones' approach. However, I can also appreciate the credit given to a fragrance which has been cloned. It must have been good for it to be cloned, but with that reputation comes expense. Perfume oils are a good way to go about it - I've been considering Al Rehab Silver which is apparently a Creed Silver Mountain Water clone. The issue with these replicas is it may never stack up to the original.
Some of the experts in the perfumery field have difficulty in telling the clones from the real thing, if money were no object of course I would buy the real thing but with clones being so good and within my price range I will stick to the clones, the silver oil is apparently a very close match and has the added benefit of the scent lasting longer than the real thing.

Some of the experts in the perfumery field have difficulty in telling the clones from the real thing, if money were no object of course I would buy the real thing but with clones being so good and within my price range I will stick to the clones, the silver oil is apparently a very close match and has the added benefit of the scent lasting longer than the real thing.
I noticed that with a video review of Al Haramain L'aventure vs Creed Aventus. This was to the point that the tester assumed the Al Haramain clone was in fact Aventus and said that it had a more 'natural' and less 'synthetic' smell than Creed's offering.

For around £8 for 6 small vials of the Al Rehab Silver perfume oil, you can't really go wrong, especially if they last as long as people claim them to (which isn't a surprise to me).

Any other clones I should be made aware of? :D

I noticed that with a video review of Al Haramain L'aventure vs Creed Aventus. This was to the point that the tester assumed the Al Haramain clone was in fact Aventus and said that it had a more 'natural' and less 'synthetic' smell than Creed's offering.

For around £8 for 6 small vials of the Al Rehab Silver perfume oil, you can't really go wrong, especially if they last as long as people claim them to (which isn't a surprise to me).

Any other clones I should be made aware of? :D
Oud 24hrs is a close match to Tom ford Black Orchid, Club de nuit is quite close to creed Aventus but not as close as L'Venture but still a great scent. I have the Al Rehab Silver oil ....Very good indeed.
Al Haramain Mystique is great but not sure if it's a clone but still very good. And I have a oil that is very close to Paccorabanne Million.
Lots to choose from, some are not clones, just good frags :)

Surprisingly no! Though that's a good review of clones. L'aventure rarely comes out less than top space from what I've seen.

Also thanks @Blademonkey, some useful info there. There was a thread about scents in M&S, one of which was a Million edt copy. I had a whiff of that myself and it is indeed quite close.

Absolutely, I've got some good smellies which aren't clones and they're fantastic. In fact, I'm rather looking forward to receiving my Penhaligon's Vaara. Very rosy, apparently!

Surprisingly no! Though that's a good review of clones. L'aventure rarely comes out less than top space from what I've seen.

Also thanks @Blademonkey, some useful info there. There was a thread about scents in M&S, one of which was a Million edt copy. I had a whiff of that myself and it is indeed quite close.

Absolutely, I've got some good smellies which aren't clones and they're fantastic. In fact, I'm rather looking forward to receiving my Penhaligon's Vaara. Very rosy, apparently!
I would say that around 50% of my frags are clones of one thing or another, the rest is made up with genuine frags, that vid above goes to show you don't have to spend £Â£s on frags if you don't want to.
:)

I would say that around 50% of my frags are clones of one thing or another, the rest is made up with genuine frags, that vid above goes to show you don't have to spend £Â£s on frags if you don't want to.
:)
That being said, if you're reserved/patient, you can get expensive frags for not a lot. None of my Penhaligon's have cost more than £30 a bottle (minimum 50mL) which is considerably underpriced compared to retail value. They smell premium, to my somewhat untrained nose. Definitely a cut above the M&S Woodspice's and David Beckham's of this world.

That being said, if you're reserved/patient, you can get expensive frags for not a lot. None of my Penhaligon's have cost more than £30 a bottle (minimum 50mL) which is considerably underpriced compared to retail value. They smell premium, to my somewhat untrained nose. Definitely a cut above the M&S Woodspice's and David Beckham's of this world.
£30-50 £ a bottle is reasonable for 50ml any more than £50 for 50ml it would have to be something extra special for me to fork out that kind of money, I'm quite heavy handed with frags anyway so I would have to be careful, I know what you are talking about re the David Beckham and others of that type but a bottle of Oud 24hrs only costs £12 so there is no need to buy those types of frags when the £12 clone smells like it should have cost £120 - £150 and 98% of people would not know you was wearing the real thing or not. £50 for 50ml is about my limit though. :)

Guess I just squirt on what I fancy most days. One of the exceptions being if I'm feeling a bit down, when I'll use something like Alvarez Gomez cologne. The light, lemony scent always takes me back to younger, healthier summer days in Playa Blanca and cheers me up no end.

JohnnyO. o/

Guess I just squirt on what I fancy most days. One of the exceptions being if I'm feeling a bit down, when I'll use something like Alvarez Gomez cologne. The light, lemony scent always takes me back to younger, healthier summer days in Playa Blanca and cheers me up no end.

JohnnyO. o/
Playa Blanca is a lovely place. First place me and the OH went on holiday together!

JohnnyO. o/

Ha! Playa Blanca in Lanzarote?:cool:

As for the question....

... here, it depends on the season (hot/cool) or better, the temperature, if it's a working day or not, the mood.... But, basically it's citrusy for me!

I like citrus!

19.gif

Back
Top Bottom