Soap Makers challenge - Imperial Leather (IL) shaving soap.

Re: Soap Makers challenge - Imperial Leather (IL) shaving so

Professor Blighty said:
I'll give it a go...done the label, that's the easy part.. :roll:

If the soap doesn't work, the label looks as though it'll throw a strop and go on an imperialistic rampage through parts of Europe and beyond. :lol:

Lipsy

Professor Blighty said:

Erm, scuse my pre "Politically correct" meanderings ............... I kinda liked the Valkyrie type ladies on the Prof B original colognes. Yes, I'll get my coat now .

JohnnyO. :oops: :oops: :oops:

JohnnyO said:
Professor Blighty said:

Erm, scuse my pre "Politically correct" meanderings ............... I kinda liked the Valkyrie type ladies on the Prof B original colognes. Yes, I'll get my coat now .

JohnnyO. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yeah, I kinda dug that Seventies Prog rock vibe you had going… :lol:

Lipsy

For those who may mock - and I see there are many :lol: ; I am not a vegetarian. Just minimise my foot print and cause of cruelty where it's easy to do so, and I thought more important to do so with the soap, as I could never eat the amount of tallow (or related meat) that I could use making soap.
As for 'Imperial' - am I not the Soap Queen of - erm - my house? :?
I am now the proud possesser of 6 bars of said Imperial Leather, courtesy of our pound shop (not actually Poundland) and Wilco's. After buying the 4 from the pound shop, I was overcome with paranoia that maybe it wasn't the real thing, so bought 2 more at Wilco. They all smell the same.
It certainly says 'soap'! Doesn't say a lot else to me, though I have got a slight cold which will no doubt last through winter. After reading Antdad's initial description, I was expecting something nicer....but obviously, it's just not greatly to my taste, which is the way with smells. But then, nostalgia is a powerful thing. I don't actually remember any of the soap from my childhood except the carbolic soap that one family my sister and I used to stay over with had. There is something clean and wholesome about that smell, and even the name.
I think the way I would describe Imperial Leather would be sweetly balsalmic; and soapy!
"Metric Polyvinyl" - I like it. :lol: I was sent an article by a friend about another soap maker, and like many she uses very imaginative names for her products.....I am failing miserably on the marketing front.
But have you tried my Sicilian sun ripened lime soap, which will transport you to your own private sun kissed beach on the Sicilian coast - and so on and so forth. :lol:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.imperialleather.com.au/home.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.imperialleather.com.au/home.php</a><!-- m -->

It appears there is already (although I have never seen it), an aerosol shaving cream and an aftershave out there...

Yeah Prof, Aussie market only. They is not quite as refined as we is in the Northern Hemisphere with our balms. :shock:

soapalchemist said:
I am now the proud possesser of 6 bars of said Imperial Leather, courtesy of our pound shop (not actually Poundland) and Wilco's.

Since this is not readily available over here (at least not AFAIK), and I would like to participate too, could you possibly get me a small sample of one of your bars, so I can smell what I should be striving for?

Thanks

Henk

IL sure does bring back memories. We've started buying it again after using some at my parents' house.

I also started buying Pears again, until all the old stock ran out and it's all the ghastly new formula now, which bears little resemblance to the original soap.

The current IL is not quite as nice as I remember - I find the scent a bit "sharp" and artificial when you first open the soap, and it's only after a week or so that it starts to mellow and smell more rounded, which is much more pleasant. I find it smells nicer on the skin after use than it does smelling the bar directly.

I would definitely like to see a shaving soap with this scent though!

John

We use cussons imperial leather handwash at the hotel I work at but I think they must have changed the formulation as it definitely does not smell like the soap bars we had at home when I was a kid.

It smells more almondy to me and also slightly more flowery than I remember which is possibly why someone said that the almond cream smells like IL?

Back
Top Bottom