Soap side effects

TOBS Sandalwood soap. It's the only soap in my den that causes a burning sensation; regardless of face or bowl lathering. It must be something in the soap itself; as the cream had no such effects.

Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera shave cream irritates my skin terribly. If I use it in the morning I end up with spots in the evening.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Any Italian almond smelling soap turns my face red. TOBS sandalwood did as well to a lesser extent.

Hello from Italy. This is well known amongst italian wetshavers. It is because almond scent, is a very traditional italian scent, but it derives from the use of a substance called benzaldehyde. This is an irritant and used in small doses in soaps, usually doesn't cause problems and only gives the scent. But some people are more sensitive and have bad reaction to it. From what i 've read, Figaro almond soap is the worst offender. But, pretty much you will have a smaller reaction to any other almond soap.

I have a bottle of benzaldehyde in my works lab! Smells delicious! :D

But yes, in the fashion of some chemicals it can irritate skin to the high heavens.

Exactly! Smells delicious! What's a low risk of irritation compared to that! :D The good thing, is once you realize you don't tolerate well an almond soap, you can be pretty certain that it's a waste of time to try any other almond soap! Problem solved!

My skin seems to take a great exception to lime oil, so MR GLO is out as a pre-shave, and TOBS lemon & lime cream, which I tried years ago, did the same thing. I had a much less severe reaction to TOBS Sandalwood and De Vergulde Hand.

My skin seems to take a great exception to lime oil, so MR GLO is out as a pre-shave, and TOBS lemon & lime cream, which I tried years ago, did the same thing. I had a much less severe reaction to TOBS Sandalwood and De Vergulde Hand.

There are always 2 cases. One, is having in the soap a substance that is well known to be an irritant. This is the case of almond soaps, but most people can tolerate the substance at low concentration. A second case, is that one can have an allergic reaction to an ingredient that is normally harmless. This can happen with virtually any soap.

There are always 2 cases. One, is having in the soap a substance that is well known to be an irritant. This is the case of almond soaps, but most people can tolerate the substance at low concentration. A second case, is that one can have an allergic reaction to an ingredient that is normally harmless. This can happen with virtually any soap.
Indeed, but I'm not convinced that, scientifically-speaking, there's much of a difference. Is lime oil a known irritant?

Back
Top Bottom