soap vs cream

Being a new comer to DE shaving what are the fundamental differences between using a cream or a solid soap.

A lather is a lather is it not?
Yes, a lather is a lather. It's just that some are better than others. Very generally speaking, a lather created with a soap containing tallow will usually give you a shave with more cushion i.e protection and more glide(slick). That's not to say veg soaps won't do this though. Some folks say creams are not as slick as soaps. Really, it comes down to preference. If you're new to DE shaving, creams are a good place to start. Soaps take a little getting used to in terms of creating a good,lasting lather.

Last edited:
I started with a Palmolive stick. I lathered it up buy rubbing the brush directly onto the stick. It work ok for me I though untill I used it in a mug. The mug gave me a much thicker and softer lather.

I have not tried a cream yet

I started with a Palmolive stick. I lathered it up buy rubbing the brush directly onto the stick. It work ok for me I though untill I used it in a mug. The mug gave me a much thicker and softer lather.

I have not tried a cream yet
A stick is best used by applying the product directly onto a wet face, then using a brush to create your lather. You will need to wet the brush every so often to get the lather going. You could also cut a piece off, drop it into a bowl and use it like a soap.

A stick is best used by applying the product directly onto a wet face, then using a brush to create your lather. You will need to wet the brush every so often to get the lather going. You could also cut a piece off, drop it into a bowl and use it like a soap.

Arh I was doing it all wrong then. Well you live and learn

each cream is different, and will provide its own water/product ratio needs to you.

soap versus cream more comes down to what ingredients in it work best for your face. Simple old Palmolive stick can out perform most high end soaps just because it works better with your face and skin/beard type.

If you use the stick on your face then as said wet your face then rub it all over your stubble until you see the soap go white on your face. At that point go at it with the wet brush it will soon turn into a thick lather and it will be slick with great protection from the blade. There are lots of good videos on YouTube showing how to make a lather with every type of soap. Check some out. A picture is worth a thousand words.

the thing that needs to be realized, the lather that works on one person, will not always be good for another person.

I used to try to make lather that looked like all the lather shown in videos and daily shave pictures. had bad shaves all the time because of that. Then I read a simple post on how you should make lather for what your face needs, and go with that. Shave is soo much better now.

the thing that needs to be realized, the lather that works on one person, will not always be good for another person.

I used to try to make lather that looked like all the lather shown in videos and daily shave pictures. had bad shaves all the time because of that. Then I read a simple post on how you should make lather for what your face needs, and go with that. Shave is soo much better now.
How do you do that?

Back
Top Bottom