Soaps in Bowls

Just a quickie please.

I have been looking at a number of soaps that can initially be purchased in perhaps a wooden bowl etc, with future orders then only requiring a refill.

Are these bowls generally the same size and as such would accept a soap from a different manufacturer or am I over a period of time going to accumulate a number of different bowls?

Cheers.

Pete

Very good question. I don't know the answer... but I'd like to hang around to find out.

The hard soaps that I've tried... MWF and Nanny's hard soaps... come in pucks and seem about the same size. Some others (from what I can make out on the pics) seem to be bowl-shaped, ie with a rounded bottom. They are obviously made to fit into the round bowl that come with the soap, but I don't know if they are interchangeable.

You may want to check eBay and see the price of their wooden shaving bowls ( might be under shave soap) that why you can have matching and just buy the replacement from the start.

I have found little round plastic tubs in the range with lids for about 50p each they fit soaps just perfectly. worth a look if you have one nearby. I have never had a wooden bowl but would think eventually the water must get to them?

I had a wooden bowl with a Kent soap... it's what got me started in this malarky... some replacements I have bought were larger. However, brute force and a knife got the soap in the bowl.

Hiya,

For the life of me I have never been able to figure out the attraction of a form fitting bowl for my soaps. The small wood ones that are sold by the Ts or DR Harris or many more.......those kinds.

They seem a lot messier than using a larger bowl to whisk things up around the puck.......less slop with a larger one that's for sure. Most of my soaps are in 2 cup glass bowls with lids. Much easier for me to lather than the few I do have that are stuck in their original wood bowls.

With soaps it'll take me anywhere from 15-30 seconds of loading, depending on what's being used. That gets messy real quick with a shallow bowl, even with a dryer brush than usual.

I'd probably be in the minority here in this, but it works for me. Maybe someone can tell me what's the attraction to those dinky little bowls.

Martin

dodgy said:
Hiya,

For the life of me I have never been able to figure out the attraction of a form fitting bowl for my soaps. The small wood ones that are sold by the Ts or DR Harris or many more.......those kinds.

They seem a lot messier than using a larger bowl to whisk things up around the puck.......less slop with a larger one that's for sure. Most of my soaps are in 2 cup glass bowls with lids. Much easier for me to lather than the few I do have that are stuck in their original wood bowls.

With soaps it'll take me anywhere from 15-30 seconds of loading, depending on what's being used. That gets messy real quick with a shallow bowl, even with a dryer brush than usual.

I'd probably be in the minority here in this, but it works for me. Maybe someone can tell me what's the attraction to those dinky little bowls.

Martin

You're not the only one, Martin.

I think the main thing is that they look nice from a presentation point of view and they're pleasingly tactile, that's really it. I think they're just meant to look appealing and I certainly think they achieve that.

OP: The bowls from Truefitt, Taylors, Trumpers, Harris, and Crabtree and Evelyn are the same size. Penhaligons are a little bigger. So you can mix your refills in most cases.

chrisbell said:

You're not the only one, Martin.

Well you know I have two old soaps that have the form fitting container. One's some Lentheric that was until recently in a small plastic container, and the other's Yardley Lavender stuff in the wood bowl from the 1970s.

Pain in the butt to deal with em, although I did recently get the Lentheric out of that plastic thing and into a larger bowl. Much better!

So I'm sure we'll hear some good reasons to have lather dripping down my arm....

Martin

Here's a pic of the Lentheric:

Attachments

• Lentheric 002 (Small).jpg
    Lentheric 002 (Small).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 42
Canuck said:
I think the main thing is that they look nice from a presentation point of view and they're pleasingly tactile, that's really it. I think they're just meant to look appealing and I certainly think they achieve that.

What's doin The Canuck,

Take off eh (said in my best McKenzie Brothers voice). I know the appearance is the deal, but why not just make em bigger? They'd still look good but would actually not be a pain in the ass to use. Also, having little fins on the bowl bottom would be a nice touch as well to help keep the puck from slipping around. Sorta like what the Old Spice mugs have.

How are things in Flin Flon? Almost time for the baby seal hunts isn't it?

fly3k said:
I have found little round plastic tubs in the range with lids for about 50p each they fit soaps just perfectly. worth a look if you have one nearby. I have never had a wooden bowl but would think eventually the water must get to them?
Thanks for that , i bought 4 of them , just the thing :)

Bowls often vary just enough to make it difficult for other soaps to fit. I no longer retain any branded bowls. I pop the soap into a larger container with a bit of room to reduce the messiness of lathering.

I d say looks and "feel of luxury" that the wooden bowl offers.

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom