Soaps you avoid!

Fascinating to see all the soaps that people can't get on with. Also an education too. By reading the posts of old timers in the weeks I've been here I've started to get a feel for what's what, albeit I've not aspired to the dizzy heights of the really exclusive/expensive stuff. LPL might be the poshest I have and Arko/Palmolive probably the cheapest.

But....

I'm the odd one out coz there's nothing I've wanted to bin and look forward, every day, to seeing how this or that combination works. Nothing irritates my skin or brings me out in spots, warts or pimples...I'm clearly devoid of any sense and sensibility.

Admittedly I can't stand the smell of Cella, but it's only the smell of it when I sniff the pot that's unpleasant...as soon as I start to lather it it's not too bad - and it lathers a treat...as (for me) they all do !

So what I'm actually saying is: For those who feel inclined to bin their soap....DON'T !

My purpose on this earth, and particularly on this very forum, is to relieve you of your undesirables and offcasts...I'm your friend and comforter...send me your old shite and it'll be received in warm, welcoming surroundings and used until it's gone.

Even if it kills me.

Greetings Stan

I suspect you have been pretty lucky so far, only the Monsavon really caused me a problem, prior to that the only soap I had used that was a little suspect was a Boots shaving stick which to be quite fair only made my neck tingle.

The Monsavon made my face feel like it had been stung with nettles but strangely and to my relief half a dozen rinses with cold water and within five minutes the sensation had completely gone.....really strange. I noted all the items on the back of the container but they seemed to me (but I know bugger all) no different from any other soap, perhaps it is the actual amount of certain 'suspect' ingredients that makes the difference and some soaps have more than others.

I will say that the Monsavon lathered up superbly and the shave felt great prior to the sensation starting.

I think if you try enough soaps you stand a chance of finding one that will cauese you problems!

Regards
Dick.

Shemen Zait said:
Where shall we start? Scottish Fine, Neil's Yard, GFT new formulation, Tabula Rasa S.Punk

Agreed on the first two (not tried the others), both utter rubbish.

Am surprised to see RazoRock here, I couldn't stop the stuff lathering.

MWF I can understand, but you just need to get the right technique.

I bought some Moroccan Myrrh by crabtree & evelyn when i was working and forgot to take any soap with me. Not cheap and even though the smell was great it never produced a decent lather then or back home.
For me . very poor indeed given the cost.
Sadly the smell of cella meant i couldn't bear it.

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from with that ... but it's one that has risen to the top of a 'Which soap could you now do without?' kind of thread for me. I absolutely love it! LOVE IT! For the same reasons you hate it.

Do you not get Laphoaig? I gave my Dad a blind test just a couple of hours ago and he immediately said "Laphroaig", and then was intrigued that it was a shaving soap. It's strong, it's Scottish, it smells like a Glasgow bog :D

I think these days I stay away from buying anything with a heavy almond scent.
I mean, I do really like my Cella and 3P (the RR Classic is so-so) but after a while it is a scent that gets a bit old to me.

I tend to avoid artisan soaps in general (but it's not quite a hard and fast rule), but the worst 50p I have ever spent was on an Erasmic Stick. Absolute friggin' shite!

Also tend to avoid those semi-translucent glycerine soaps e.g. Col Conk amongst others.

However, love almond flavours - perfect for under Pinauld Clubman.

Erasmic stick - like trying to lather a stick of chalk

A poster called 'oldbladegrinder' (hasn't posted here for years now) recommended some goats milk shaving soap and said it reminded him of the ones he could buy as a youth. Well, thank jeebus I didn't grow up then. The lather had vanished after the first WTG pass of my cheek.

Penhaligons bayolea shaving cream - if anyone can get a lather from this I shall bow down to their mastery

Had to bin my C&E sienna. Wonderful smell but the lather was crap! I've liked every other soap I have tried including some famous and some artisan. Mind you, I don't like occurs one Cade cream. Although I hear the soap is really good. A lot of the time I don't like a scent, but I stumble across is a year later or so and fall in love.

Back
Top Bottom