Some advice?

Hi Anthony. Since you don't seem to suffer with irritation too much a blade upgrade might be in order, to something like Gillette 7 o'clock yellows (or better yet Super Iridium if you can find some). They're at the sharper end of the spectrum without being daft about it, and whilst not the smoothest they're not bad. In the past I've emphasised technique over hardware changes, but in your case this will probably pay dividends.

To lose their edge would presuppose that Derbys have one to lose. Many on here aren't terribly impressed by them, pm me an address & I'll happily pop a packet of Feathers in the post for you to try just to see how a more aggresive blade works for you.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I realised I had the razor at the wrong angle due to getting a slight tugging - was it the blade, or what? So I changed the angle very slightly, and suddenly got good shaves from the razor.

The cream can make a difference as well, and I am currently using St James of London Founders Reserve, with Gillette 365 blades, Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley chrome razor, and at the right angle. There is a big difference.

It is about not expecting too much to start with, just go carefully. I get good smooth shaves with one pass with the grain, and two passes across the grain in opposite directions, but no against the grain.

adman said:
I've borrowed a Merkur Vision 2000, set to 'O'.....

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned more..
Crank up that razor, setting it to "0" is maybe not the way to go ;)

Move it up 1/3, i.e. if it goes up to 6 like the Futur, go for a 2. If it goes to 9, go for a 3..

Also change blade as others have mentioned..

Max

Can't really agree with you there, Johnus. I've refrained from Derby bashing for a long time, each to their own and all that, but the fact remains that the blades are inconsistent and there are more reliable options available.

If we were to correct every spelling and grammatical error we'd never contribute anything shaving-related to the forum! And if I'm typing on my phone and it chooses slightly the wrong KESTREL then as long as the sentence makes sense I don't bother to correct it.
FLANGE.

Hi Adman,

In your original post you mention you started with Proraso pre/post, some cream and an EJ razor. You didn't mention a brush. Do you have one?

The reason I ask is, that many years ago, before I was wiser and more informed by shaving forums, I actually shaved with Omega Cream, just out of the tube, and rubbed onto wet face with hands. Those were definately not my best shaves!

If I was very careful with my razor, and just passed each whisker once per lathering, and did that for three passes, WTG, XYG, ATG, then I would probably not be satisfied. So I don't do that. But I do get closer shaves than any other method I have tried, and without irritation. And that's the main thing.

With regards to money, I believe that you would save more money buying a RazorPit, and then just maintaining your cartridges. That is, if that level of comfort, closeness and time useage is acceptable to you.

Other than that, you can check out Charles' videos on Method Shaving. It requires his special products, and they are same price range as many of the London brands, but if he did not talk so much on the videos, I am sure he could be done with his shaving in 6-7 minutes. And he passes each whisker many more times than 6!

/Max

adman said:
I have a Phillips electric razor that can remove the stubble from my chin to a state where I can feel practically no stubble at all anywhere on my face afterwards. I am assuming that this is BBS, rather than just a close shave.
I can achieve the totally stubbleless state after many passes of the razor and about 10-15 minutes. Three passes (down, across and up) leave me less than than perfectly smooth face, would this be a close shave?

I've borrowed a Merkur Vision 2000, set to 'O'. whilst this feels as if it is doing a great job and I can achieve what is termed the 'BBS' state eventually, it still takes a fair bit of time.

Some thoughts:

I'm not swayed by the electric, given it takes 10-15 minutes. That's a long time with a mower to get that result. I couldn't get that close if I spent half an hour with one. I hated mine and binned it after many years.

Crank the Vision up a bit.
Deby's suck. Try a blade sampler.

It'll take a little time and experimentation to get good lather and develop good technique. Technique rules, the right tools just make it easier, but they don't do the job by themselves.

BBS, whatever your definition of it, is not that important. Only you can tell the difference between a boardroom ready shave and a face that feels like it's been waxed and polished.

I think the DE route is far more enjoyable than mowing my face.

Back
Top Bottom