Some like it hot?

Well, by hot I mean chillies.

How many of my fellow TSR gents love to climb the Scoville scale every now and then? I love hot chillies, and tonight I picked up some of these bad boys to cook into a nice chilli con carne:

upload_2015-9-2_22-4-12.png

1.4 million Scoville units. Right up there as the hottest commercially grown chilli in the UK and most of the world.

Funny story, years back my driving instructor claimed to be a bit of a chilli head, boasted that tabasco is nothing to him so I had recently ordered Mad Dog hot sauce of Amazon its a million scovilles. Contains ghost, habenero etc in a paste form. Its the hottest thing I or any of my friends have experienced. Anyhow so he dropped me home I put a few drops on the spoon he asked for the whole spoon (5ml) he had it, swore and drove home. I got a phone call 3 hours later, apparently the girl whose lesson was after mine had to 20mins into the lesson, drive him home. He then went to the shitter. His wife drove the pupil back home and he cancelled the rest of his days lessons. Now thats chilli!

Tabasco is a very very mild chilli :D Bhut Jolokia (ghost/naga) chillis are quite warm, up to and around 1.2 million units on their own dependent on pod, and are very tasty as well, a strong savoury flavour (providing you can take the hit), ideal for Mexican food or a Southern Indian curry.

I am a bit of a mental case when it comes to chilli, I do devour chilli sauce and pods for fun....a quick video of the Bhut Jolokia I was drying out to cook with when curiosity got the better of me:

And a sampling of the Infinity & Beyond sauce (1.2 million units base sauce with 8 million unit extract added):

And just for the craic, a sampling of 6.4 million unit extract:

I may record a video of the Komodo Dragon chillis today, dependent on meeting schedule at work :D

I dont mid a bit of heat. I grow 7 pot yellows, Trini scorps, rocotto's & Trini pimento's - not hot great flavour. I make sauces out of them mainly, if cooking, I use the rocotto's as they have a nice heat & family & friends dont freak out . Im thinking about dehydrating some & making powders to free up some freezer space.

I like a bit of bang in my food. Though I'd rather have flavour than pure heat. Home grown Habanero are my favourite. Sweet Chilli onion chutney is one of my favourite uses. As well as adding them to lots of different dishes.

Ooh! They look nice. I'm a big fan of Scotch Bonnets and use them regularly ... granted, they're a mere 350,000 Scoville and these 'ere chillies are well over 1M. Can you taste them? Is it all just searing pain, or is there some joy to them? I actually like the taste of Scotch Bonnets.

Some years ago I enjoyed a tip of a teaspoonful of 6.5M Scoville sauce called Dragon's Breath. It was nice - Bhut Jolokia chillies, tempered with pineapple juice. Nice ... but once the desire to expel from any orifice had passed, my ears were ringing and my tongue had gone absolutely numb. It was fun. Honest.

So, Tesco ... I'll bob in on my way home tonight. Cheers! :D

We'd had a few light G&Ts one day and went for food, one of the guys suggested we order the chicken wings with 'liquid magma sauce' which three of us duly did...
Never thought much of it until the waiter arrived with a disclaimer for us to sign, 4,000,000 schovilles apparently - by Christ they were lethal! One of the guys made the mistake of going for a wee with insufficient hand washing which amused the rest of us no end [emoji23]

Ooh! They look nice. I'm a big fan of Scotch Bonnets and use them regularly ... granted, they're a mere 350,000 Scoville and these 'ere chillies are well over 1M. Can you taste them? Is it all just searing pain, or is there some joy to them? I actually like the taste of Scotch Bonnets.

Some years ago I enjoyed a tip of a teaspoonful of 6.5M Scoville sauce called Dragon's Breath. It was nice - Bhut Jolokia chillies, tempered with pineapple juice. Nice ... but once the desire to expel from any orifice had passed, my ears were ringing and my tongue had gone absolutely numb. It was fun. Honest.

So, Tesco ... I'll bob in on my way home tonight. Cheers! :D
I've not actually gotten round to incorporating them into anything, until tonight...I am cooking Malaysian inspired fish with cous cous...I'm going to slice one up nice and fine and put it into the cous cous. I suspect this one will be outright heat. The last chilli I had that was hot and full of flavour was a friends home grown bhut jolokia, very limey with a hint of salt...one could almost use it as a topping to a tequila slammer!

We'd had a few light G&Ts one day and went for food, one of the guys suggested we order the chicken wings with 'liquid magma sauce' which three of us duly did...
Never thought much of it until the waiter arrived with a disclaimer for us to sign, 4,000,000 schovilles apparently - by Christ they were lethal! One of the guys made the mistake of going for a wee with insufficient hand washing which amused the rest of us no end [emoji23]
That bottle of extract you see in the video above, well, I made the mistake of handling the bottle at work, then about an hour or so later, wiping my eye with the back of my hand...suffice to say I could not see for well over an hour and a half! Screw getting it on ones John Thomas!

I like a bit of warmth, but too hot and I don't enjoy it.
Vindaloo type heat is about my limit.
I once had a "Phaal" in Wetherspoons on night out with the lads and F*** me it was hot, add much Wine and lager and it did not sit well at all on my stomach. The result was a new stair carpet :eek:

I once had a "Phaal" in Wetherspoons on night out with the lads and F*** me it was hot, add much Wine and lager and it did not sit well at all on my stomach. The result was a new stair carpet :eek:
New carpet eh? Must have been bad!

I made the mistake once of telling the chef in my local Indian that his vindaloo was too mild. WORST MOVE EVER. He said to ask for him when I was next in and he'd make me something a bit warmer....damned thing nearly took my head off! He told me it was a phaal with 'extra bhut jolokia and other chillis'. Needless to say, my old man and I barely managed to eat it, but eat it we did. I never made that mistake again. Chef saw the funny side as did we :D

+1.
There's a Mexican in Torquay that had a dish called The Alamo which was strips of steak, onions and peppers cooked in their special "extra hot" sauce. The waitress warned me when I ordered it that it really was hot, and that she liked spicy food. Undeterred, I went ahead anyway. Crikey! I ate it all but did feel a bit like that chap from Man V Food, and it had its revenge later on that evening.

There's a level of heat that I enjoy, above that there's another that I can tolerate but it's not worth it. I do like the flavour of Scotch Bonnets though and tend to use those in homemade chilli and curry.

Back
Top Bottom