Some new scales for my Filly

I started making some scales for Mr Magnus but unfortunately his blade never reached me from Sweden. So, as one of my Filarmonicas was a bit too loose and had a fracture at the pivot pin I decided to make use of the scales I'd started.

They are black horn lined with copper and copper pins without washers. I kept to the traditional Filarmonica shape and, although the scales are heavier than the originals, the balance is still OK because it's a 7/8" blade.

Hope you like them.

Thanks Jamie. I didn't know there was anything you could use to inhibit verdigris - I was planning on just using the normal cleaning cloth when required.Also as I've used brass internal washers, there shouldn't be too much problem around the pivot pin but I've heard that dental floss is good for that.

What were you thinking of?

What I was thinking is the only area that would be an issue would be inside the scales because you can easily clean the edge of the scales where the copper is exposed, so I was thinking before you assemble the razor give the inner of the scales a light coating of clear acrylic spray varnish, as you have internal washers next to the blade the blade won't be moving against the copper so the acrylic varnish should last and do the trick.

There is something about copper I love, I'm taking some inspiration from your lovely scales Rob. Don't know what it is yet but copper it will be ;)
Nicely done and my favourite razors!

Talking of Filly's, there is a Filly on that 'site' at the moment that is a very unusual piece. I am hoping the whole world hasn't noticed ;)

Thanks Jason. When you decide wha you want to do - let me know if you'd like some copper pins and I'll send a few. They are actually 1/16" by about 3/4" domed studs but filing the dome off (or down to a reasonable size) works well. Much softer than brass but they still hold up to peening without buckling.

Back
Top Bottom