SOTD Sat. 4th May to Fri. 10th May 2013 ...

Hot shower
EJde89bl
Rapira Swedish ss (1)
Omega 6151 badger
Proraso green cream
alum
Cella colonia classica

1st time using the proraso, face lather and must say the omega worked a treat and produced ample lather with minimal effort. 1st time with the Swedish rapira in the EJ, result: 3 passes + touch ups nears as damn it bbs, fantastic shave. Not sure the proraso is worthy of the price over Ingrams though

Haven't posted here for a while...

Today's shave.
Merkur 34c with Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
EJ pure badger
The Real Shaving Co cream
The Real Shaving Co ASB

nice and smooth and ready for tomorrow.

MONDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot flannel
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Klar Kabinett - suribachi lathered
Razor: CJB Kamisori\Henckels Henso
Blade: Feather Professional (16) \ Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Balm: Witch hazel and IK balm

Managed my first ATG pass with the Kamisori, but had to clean up with the Henso. Still need plenty of practice.

Nice smooth shave in the end though, and only a couple of very minor weepers so all good.

Musgo Real glyce classic soap
Weber DLC / Supermax Blue Diamond
Neep Jubilee
The Body Shop Maca Root Cream
Witch Hazel+

1/2 day spent tidying the garden and the other half reaping the benefits in the steamer chair. Long shower and a cold water shave. Whats not to like?

j4jSHdD.jpg

Musgo Real Glycerin Lime Soap
Rosegold R41 with Astra SP
Proraso Green (New)
Chinese 24 mm Pure
Krampert's Bay Rum

It's been a while since I used the Proraso. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time. I kept comparing it to Ingram's the whole time and actually find Ingram's better - both in performance and in menthol strength. It was still a good cream, but I found it took a lot more water than Ingram's and didn't produce as cushion-y a lather.

Had a hot shower and then face lathered the sandalwood proroso with the Tubby 2. My have used a little too much cream. dipped the brush in the pot and picked up a little more than I thought. Ended up producing huge amounts of very slick lather.
3rd run out with the Feather AC SS. Took my time (40mins) and had a very nice 2x wtg 1x xtg and a little touch up. All with the feather. I'm really pleased with my self that I am getting very near BBS shaves straight of the bat, and using the razor for all my face with both hands. Tonight's shave had a couple of cack-handed moments but didn't result in any damage. One tiny little nick under my chin that produced one small spot of blood.
The proroso after shave should no signs of irritation at all. Still a couple of small areas which are proving awkward, mostly due to the angle the hair grows and it being difficult to get the blade left to right under my jaw line to get ATG. I can just about manage 45deg to the growth. Perseverance will pay off, I'm sure. And the practice is fun.

Magnus, that brush is a lovely thing.

This morning:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Taylor Eye Witness, 5/8", in (imitation?) ivory
Brush: Neep #1033 soapstone ball and bobbin 24mm high mountain badger
Cream: Trumper's Sandalwood

Noticed a spot under my jawline, off to the side, under the three days' growth while rising my face. Forgot after the first pass and decapitated it neatly on the second. A fair bit of claret but not for long, and it's the only language they understand anyway ;).

Mon 6th May

Razor : Feather Popular
Blade : Trig
Cream : TOBS avocado
Brush : Omega 80080
Spalsh : Superdrug Forest Fresh

Crap day but at least it started with a quality shave. Really liking the cheap Feather razor as well.

Mr.Magnus said:
Razor: Towa
Brush: Own made aluminum Finest Badger
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
AS: Dr.Harris Sandalwood

Today i decided to testdrive a brush i made for a friend. and also my new towa from Mikael :) (Cheers i love it.)

Love that brush, quality job there.

fancontroller said:
Proraso Week Day 1

I have not tried face-lathering with a cream before, so I thought this'd be a good opportunity. Applied shave cream to my face in patches then worked up a lather with a medium wet brush. First pass was ok, but started to run out of lather from the brush by the second pass and by the third was having to apply more cream to my face.

I don't really get the pleasure of face-lathering. The brush feels cold after the first pass, it's difficult to get consistent lather for each pass and it feels like I'm scrubbing my face off (even though it didn't actually make my face sore).

You know, I used a bowl to make up the lather for years before finally getting smart and trying the face lather thing. I'm sorry it took me so long to figure out what works best.

Sounds like you didn't get the lather worked into your brush well enough, so maybe try something different. Take some cream and about 1 tablespoon of very hot water and throw it in a bowl to sit. Leave it for a minute or two, which will help the soap dissolve into the water.

Give your soaking brush a much stronger shake out than usual and work that mix in the bowl for 10-15 seconds. The idea is to deeply charge the brush before going to your face. Make sure the cream isn't clumped up on the brush.

If you rinse your face with hot water between passes, that should keep the lather from getting cold.

See if that helps,

Martin

I was going to join in with the Proraso madness week but I found a C&E shop whilst out on a day trip and bought some Nomad soap. :angel:

Prep: Face washed with MdC Fougère sample and hot flannel.
Pre: Jack Black beard lube.
Razor: Gillette New open comb. (If anyone knows which please let me know).
Blade: Scottish Perma-Sharp. (2)
Brush: Kent H8
Soap: C&E Nomad soap.
Aftershave: Proraso.

[attachment=7224]

Really nice smooth shave, I love this New, it's my first. I've no idea which one it is though.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: Proraso Red (Cream of the week)
Brush: Neep 28mm Extra Silvertip in Kenya Soapstone
Razor: Gillette New with Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette SuperThin
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

First use of the Proraso today as I didn't shave yesterday. I'm not sold on the smell that is for sure, not sure how I would describe it but it did not smell at all fresh and clean. I can't fault the performance, I got an excellent lather which enabled me to get an extremely close shave.

I've been away to Tallinn in Estonia over the bank holiday weekend. What a lovely place that is, beautiful old town, lovely people. I used a travel kit of:

La Toja Stick
Vulfix 660
Fatip/Weber Bulldog
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Nivea Q10 ASB

The friends I was with were very curious about the kit I'd brought. I'm going to lend some bits and bobs to people so they can try it out. The shaves were top-notch.

Tuesday (back to work, booo!):

Tabac
Semogue 2012 SE
Aristocrat Junior
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
T&H Trafalgar
L'Occitane Baux EdT

Lovely shave and I'm back to work.

Greetings

Tuesday 7th May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Soap: Tabac Stick grated into a container
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Wonderful shave, Tabac is a fabulous performer providing you are happy with the scent (which I am) a 100 gram stick refill is £4.95 from Cheap Smells in the Channel Islands and that includes free postage, a real bargain.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04255.JPG

*Erasmic shave cream
*Merkur 43C
*Isana boar brush

polsilver (2)
pre - nuage shave oil
post - witch hazel and menthol mix
boots freshwood balm

smashing shave. was feeling a bit itchy using the same stuff again but persevered and really enjoyed it. i know a lot of people don't care for shave oil but i find it really does add an extra something. skin feels great

Prep: Proraso White
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: NF Tubby 1
Razor: Merkur 37c Slant

Boy oh boy do I like that slant on a few days growth! Think the blade needed changing but a comfortable irratation free shave.

Back
Top Bottom