SOTD: Saturday 15th- Friday 21st April 2017

Thanks. how do you pronounce facinorosus?
@semperfi45 - I'll fully admit that my Latin is rudimentary - as is my ancient Greek - but here goes. Facinorous - if it follows the normal rules - might be rendered in modern English as - phonetically - 'fasinoroos,' the initial 'o' might lengthen - leaving you with 'fasinooroos.' It's difficult to know where the stress may be in the word. Latin isn't great for diacritic pointers. That probably didn't help mate. Personally - I'd say it the way you want. Who's going to correct you? There must be someone on this forum who knows for sure? We're an erudite bunch. I

Last edited:
@semperfi45 - I'll fully admit that my Latin is rudimentary - as is my ancient Greek - but here goes. Facinorous - if it follows the normal rules - might be rendered in modern English as - phonetically - 'fasinoroos,' the initial 'o' might lengthen - leaving you with 'fasinooroos.' It's difficult to know where the stress may be in the word. Latin isn't great for diacritic pointers. That probably didn't help mate. Personally - I'd say it the way you want. Who's going to correct you? I
Try this. Hit the speaker icon. I think you are correct with the "o"'s
https://translate.google.ca/?hl=en&authuser=0#en/es/Facinorous

Try this. Hit the speaker icon. I think you are correct with the "o"'s
https://translate.google.ca/?hl=en&authuser=0#en/es/Facinorous
@semperfi45 - interesting mate - the sounded version resembles modern Italian to me. The 'c' becomes 'ch' and not a hard 's.' That's part of the problem with ancient Latin - nobody actually knows how it was spoken - there are grammar guides left to posterity but presumably it was like any other language that was used - then and now - over a huge range of territory, English for instance - the variation in pronunciation would have been considerable. I

Last edited:
@semperfi45 - interesting mate - the sounded version resembles modern Italian to me. The 'c' becomes 'ch.' That's part of the problem with ancient Latin - nobody actually knows how it was spoken - there are grammar guides left to posterity but presumably it was like any other language that was used - then and now - over a huge range of territory, English for instance - the variation in pronunciation would have been considerable. I
I agree. Thanks again.

Sotd 21/04/2017

33375633123_a19c03b83e_h.jpg

pre: hot water - vegetable soap herbal karitè - olio argan
shaving soap: D.R. Harris Arlington Shaving Soap
Brush: Semogue foro barbear classico 2017
razor: Merkur 34C HD - twins - wilkinson sword *4
after shave: vitos classic
Original Lather Bowl - ikea bambo

image.jpg SOTD 22nd April
NEW POST ON THIS WEEKS SOTD!!!'
Razor...Thiers Arminius 6/8
Soap...OSP Bay Rum
Brush...SOC Boar
Post...Thayers Lavender
A/S...Extro Bay Rum

My first run out with this razor after acquiring it from @Benz3ne, thank you Ben.
How did it shave? Well very well indeed, it has a keen edge on it and I had a great shave right up to the end when I was getting a little cavalier with it and it bit me on the chin but apart from that it was a cracking shave, the blood loss was slight and was stopped with alum.
A good splash of Extro Bay Rum and ready to go.

Have a great day people......:) I forgot it was change over day, new post where it should be!!! :)

Last edited:
View attachment 24851 SOTD 22nd April

Razor...Thiers Arminius 6/8
Soap...OSP Bay Rum
Brush...SOC Boar
Post...Thayers Lavender
A/S...Extro Bay Rum

My first run out with this razor after acquiring it from @Benz3ne, thank you Ben.
How did it shave? Well very well indeed, it has a keen edge on it and I had a great shave right up to the end when I was getting a little cavalier with it and it bit me on the chin but apart from that it was a cracking shave, the blood loss was slight and was stopped with alum.
A good splash of Extro Bay Rum and ready to go.

Have a great day people......:)
She is a mighty blade. Glad you had a (mainly) positive first run!

Back
Top Bottom