Razor - Merkur 37c Slant
blade - Gillette Silver Blue (5)
brush - Stirling two-band finest
soap - Valobra stick - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Epsilon Blue
balm - none.

Result - great -

Still in my current vibe of trying 'old school' Italian soaps that are new to me - from the Vitos croaps to this. I painted it on crayon style - and set to lathering - no problem - quite thirsty - easy to get the moisture right though - it starts to thicken and shine. Very good stability of lather. This is one of the classier sticks I have used - if I had to make a comparison - the old formula Lea tallow springs to mind - which you can still get - it's just branded as Vie-Long these days - the Valobra - sort of has a scent - very mild fern - it mostly just smells of soap. The packaging is good - in that - its just a cardboard box with a paper and silver foil wrapped stick of soap. Minimal waste. In use and post - excellent for me - there is a very good chance this will become my travel kit soap. A healthy splash of Epsilon Blue - job done. Perfectly clean and comfortably shaven. Thank you very much @Wayne Pritchard - who gifted me the Valobra - appreciated mate. Have great shaves one and all - yours - I.

Oh - not a single bloody tulip in the picture today - I hope you appreciate the effort. Ha ha ha.
Wonderful photo Iain. Less is more eh?

Date: 22 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Omega 10005 Boar 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip E1 1959 / Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra #4
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

9 more days to go for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

OMG!!! My bare face, it's ALIVE!!! and very soft and smooth as a baby bare bum using the FAT!!, after a shitty whole month of February shave using the Arko urinal cake has dried my skin pretty rough.

giphy.gif

Combined "What watch are you wearing" and SOTD:

• Pre-shave - glycerin soap in the shower.
  • Polsiver SI (3), Souplex OC razor, Proraso Green, L'Occitane Plisson
  • Post - Alum, Homebrew witch hazel, Bert's balm (lime), Chanel Egoiste EDT

Watch: 1973 Seiko Navigator Timer

Damn Comfortable Shave.

The theme for today's shave was 'BST'

@Paul L and @rowlers and @fly3k - Any old iron - Ikon SB on an Ikon handle
Scrap metal - Kai blade
@Dansco 's - used soap emporium - Tiki
@Steve Bowles - Used brush shop - Muhle synthetic in a cute butterscotch finish

So today's shave was all about gear bought from the BST section. A wonderful place here on TSR where you can go and drool over items for sale and then part with your money.

The razor choice for today was actually a mish mash of parts from three different sales/swaps with the base, the top cap and the handle from three separate deals. End product? An Ikon razor. Not even a Frankenrazor and thanks to a recent swap it even has a silver base as the previous black item was rather letting the side down. It also happens to possibly be my favourite razor and a shave with this beast typically ensures a clean smooth face one day later. Love it.

The blade is the only new item for this particular shave but I would draw the line at using a secondhand used blade.

The brush I have had for some time now and at one point was my daily 'reach for', that was until I discovered the Razorock 400. In comparison this one is a little hairy fairy and I find the size of the handle unsubstantial. The 400 allows one to really get to grips with it all whereas the Muhle tends to slip and slide its way to the end purpose. A nice brush, but it doesn't quite attain the dizzy heights of the Razorock. It does come in a nice butterscotch finish though. To this sense it does win on the pretty stakes.

I never thought I'd see the day where I bought a used (in this case only very little used) slab of shaving soap. But shit, I am glad I did. What a soap. I know the seller mentioned the scent was far too strong for him but in my case I can quite happily live with strong. Even Mrs Satanfriendly made a nice passing comment on its aroma. Other than that it just happens to be a wonderful soap to pass blade through.

At the end of this BST gear was one wonderfully smooth shave with a very smooth (and secondhand used) face. This was a shave to be proud of and one I can walk away from feeling very BST

BST? - Buy Sell Trade?

Nope

BST? - Brilliantly Shaven Today

I wish you all equally as pleasurable shaves and may your day be very free of facial fluff.

Last edited:
View attachment 42169

Sotd - tonight - Thursday the 21st of March -

Razor - Merkur 37c Slant
blade - Gillette Silver Blue (5)
brush - Stirling two-band finest
soap - Valobra stick - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Epsilon Blue
balm - none.

Result - great -

Still in my current vibe of trying 'old school' Italian soaps that are new to me - from the Vitos croaps to this. I painted it on crayon style - and set to lathering - no problem - quite thirsty - easy to get the moisture right though - it starts to thicken and shine. Very good stability of lather. This is one of the classier sticks I have used - if I had to make a comparison - the old formula Lea tallow springs to mind - which you can still get - it's just branded as Vie-Long these days - the Valobra - sort of has a scent - very mild fern - it mostly just smells of soap. The packaging is good - in that - its just a cardboard box with a paper and silver foil wrapped stick of soap. Minimal waste. In use and post - excellent for me - there is a very good chance this will become my travel kit soap. A healthy splash of Epsilon Blue - job done. Perfectly clean and comfortably shaven. Thank you very much @Wayne Pritchard - who gifted me the Valobra - appreciated mate. Have great shaves one and all - yours - I.

Oh - not a single bloody tulip in the picture today - I hope you appreciate the effort. Ha ha ha.
You are more than welcome mate. :)
Ps. That's a cracking and very inspiring shot you have done there Iain.

Back
Top Bottom