Shave Score 9.75/10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower / NIVEA MEN DEEP Anti-Blackhead Scrub
PreShave Cream: Proraso Refreshing PreShave Cream
Soap: Wickhams 1912 - Cashmere
Brush: Yaqi 24mm - Sagrada Familia Tuxedo
Razor: RR Lupo
Blade: Gillette - Nacet (2)
Post Shave ASL: Figaro - Ambra
Post Shave Balm: Barts - Ben Nevis (Amber & Moroccan Jasmine)
Post Shave Cologne: Geoffrey Beene - Bowling Green

First outing on the Cashmere, great lather even in cold/hard water, great smell, masses of residual slickness :)

A great shave.

Joe.

7AA3B90A-B1BB-47F3-A258-F979E5737C55.jpeg

24/03/21

2021 03 24 01.jpg

Brush - Yaqi Plissoft 22mm
Soap - Cella Bio
Razor - Souplex Bakelite
Blade - Gillette London Bridge (1)
Post - Witch Hazel/Lea Balm
AS - Benjamin's Bay Rum w/Menthol

A few firsts in today's shave, I'll start with the soap, the fairly new shaving soap from Cella, which seems to get a lot of positive coverage at B&B but not much here.

I'll start with a picture first.

2021 03 24 02.jpg

Opening up the tub, there were some crystals on the surface, but when I took a small spatula to remove some, there were none below the surface.

It's very easy to lather, and I'd say the scent is a mild citrus one, it's supposed to be based on something but I've completely forgotten what it was. The lather is excellent, very slick with a pretty good amount of cushion, but today I intentionally made my lather thinner and slicker, as yesterday's I overloaded soap and had parts of soap sticking to my razor. I find aesthetically, the thinner and slicker lathers to be less pleasing than the thick lathers with a lot of cushion, but the thinner/slicker ones seem to provide greater functionality. Back to the Cella Bio lather, it was fairly pleasant smelling whilst it sat my face during the shave, did it pass the irritation test as many shaving soaps seem to make my face burn? A few hours after the shave and I have not the slightest bit of irritation, so I would say it's off to a good start.

The second new variable in the shave, is the new Gillette London Bridge blade (very generously sent by Paul @pjgh) which is reported to be one of their sharper blades so I paired the blade with my mildest razor I own, a very old Souplex Bakelite razor. On the first pass (WTG), it was clearly evident the blade is a very sharp one, but with such a mild razor head the combination was very smooth and comfortable. On the 2nd and 3rd passes, not much if any stubble was taken away around the mouth, but mowed down some remaining stubble around the jaw.

An excellent shave today, very close and very comfortable, without the slightest bit of post shave irritation.

Anyway gents, I hope you have a good day.

24/03/21
Vintage Wednesday
Pre: Shower, Cold water Face wash
Brush: Vintage Vulfix service #3 1950's
Soap: Vintage Cussons 1950's
Razor: GEM MicroMatic SB Clog-Pruf
Blade: GEM Stainless PTFE (4)
Post shave: Cold water splash ,TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Proraso Red / Argan Oil
Aftershave: Proraso Red
Wk12 (4).JPG
A wonderful shave with one of my favourite Vintage razors which was kindly Gifted to me by Stephen @Scotshave.
thanks.gif
A great lather from the vintage brush and cream, giving me plenty "good stuff" for the shave.
I planned to only complete 2 passes today, however, i was seduced by this wonderful set up into 3 full passes. A very close BBS finish was the result.
A nice post shave finishing with the Proraso splash and there was some indication of the shave closeness, although, this calmed quickly.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All

8U8aP4p.jpg

I broke out a NOS Personna 74 injector blade today to use in the Schick I2 on a four day beard. Despite all the myth surrounding this legendary blade I can't really tell any difference between it and a modern Personna injector blade. Sure, it may go for an ungodly amount of shaves, but to me that's inconsequential as modern injector blades are relatively cheap and can go 15 - 20 shaves for many shavers. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

2 razor shaves? Pfttttt
3 razor shaves? :cool:

Brush: EJ Synthetic
Soap: Signature Soap Capra
Blade- Astra SP
RazorZ: 2 Frankentechs, 1 Made In England FBT
Post- Speick ASL, Lea balm

I’ve acquired a few razors in a short space of time including a few techs and I couldn’t really wait to compare them
From left to right, I have; a standard Made In England Flat Bottom Tech, an Aluminum ball end tech head w/ a French service set handle, and finally, another Made in England flat bottom Tech but with a Miyatt handle
image0 (14).jpeg

The FBT head with the Miyatt handle (right), which was the first of the razors I bought, is definitely the heaviest of the three. I shaved with it last week and immediately loved it. A few days later, I received an Aluminum ball end tech along with a Slim Adjustable and I really disliked how light that tech was with the normal handle…
So when I saw a BST for a standard flat bottom tech with the stock handle ( which I was really curious to try)and an extra, French service set handle, I couldn't say no.
Firstly, I absolutely love the Capra soap… it's the nicest performing soap I've tried so far in my short my wet shaving life :love:
Onto the razors. Of course, the razors all shave very similarly, especially the two FBT heads as they are the same, but what I noticed is how big a difference handles actually make.
A heavier handle definitely seems to works really nicely on the tech to make it a little more efficient or at least, make it feel more efficient. The lighter or more standard handles, on the other hand, kind of compliment the smoothness of the razors. Just a different feel,I guess :)

The FBT/Miyatt tech that I bought originally is still my favourite.
Although it may not look like it, this razor has a lovely reassuring heft to it and it’s very well balanced. Whoever put this handle with this head, made a nice razor.
I noticed the standard FBT is a little head heavy, which is nice too, but as I mentioned, I think the handle actually made the biggest difference in the shaves. Although the heads are the same, the FBT/Miyatt definitely feels very efficient but smooth, the standard FBT of course feels very similar but somehow a little bit gentler.
With the ball end tech-head, I felt the angle was a little different, but the overall feel was mild and similar to the FBT...and the service set handle on it gave it a nice balance.

Anyways...enough! I'm very sorry for my yacking!
Nice shave, I love techs, the end.

Have a nice one!

Last edited:
2 razor shaves? Pfttttt
3 razor shaves? :cool:

Brush: EJ Synthetic
Soap: Signature Soap Capra
Blade- Astra SP
RazorZ: 2 Frankentechs, 1 Made In England FBT
Post- Speick ASL, Lea balm

I’ve acquired a few razors in a short space of time including a few techs and for today's shave, I couldn’t really wait to compare them
From left to right, I have; a standard Made In England Flat Bottom Tech, an Aluminum ball end tech head w/ a French service set handle, and finally, another Made in England flat bottom Tech but with a Miyatt handle
View attachment 66967

The FBT head with the Miyatt handle (right), which was the first of the razors I bought, is definitely the heaviest of the three. I shaved with itlast week and immediately loved it. A few days later, I received an Aluminum ball end tech along with a Slim Adjustable and I really disliked how light that tech was with the normal handle…
So when I saw a BST for a standard flat bottom tech with the stock handle ( which I was really curious to try)and an extra, French service set handle, I couldn't say no.
Firstly, I absolutely love the Capra soap… it's the nicest performing soap I've tried so far in my short my wet shaving life :love:
Onto the razors. Of course, the razors all shave very similarly, especially the two FBT heads as they are the same, but what I noticed is how big a difference handles actually make
. A heavier handle definitely seems to works really nicely on the tech to make it a little more efficient or at least, make it feel more efficient. The lighter or more standard handles, on the other hand, kind of compliment the smoothness of the razors. Just a different feel,I guess :)

The FBT/Miyatt tech that I bought originally is still my favourite.
Although it may not look like it, this razor has a lovely reassuring heft to it and it’s very well balanced. Whoever put this handle with this head, made a nice razor.
I noticed the standard FBT is a little head heavy, which is nice too, but as I mentioned, I think the handle actually made the biggest difference in the shaves. Although the heads are the same, the FBT/Miyatt definitely feels very efficient but smooth, the standard FBT of course feels very similar but somehow a little bit gentler.
With the ball end tech-head, I felt the angle was a little different, but the overall feel was mild and similar to the FBT...but the service set handle on it gave it a nice balance.

Anyways...enough! I'm very sorry for my yacking!
Nice shave, I love techs, the end.

Have a nice one!
Thank you

8U8aP4p.jpg

I broke out a NOS Personna 74 injector blade today to use in the Schick I2 on a four day beard. Despite all the myth surrounding this legendary blade I can't really tell any difference between it and a modern Personna injector blade. Sure, it may go for an ungodly amount of shaves, but to me that's inconsequential as modern injector blades are relatively cheap and can go 15 - 20 shaves for many shavers. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Have you used any Personna 74 DE blades BM?

They seem to be the most revered of 'unobtanium' blades, with Gillette Spoilers a close second perhaps?

Have you used any Personna 74 DE blades BM?

They seem to be the most revered of 'unobtanium' blades, with Gillette Spoilers a close second perhaps?

Yep, I had a just under 100 DE ones a few yrs. back and sold them for a song. Why you ask? Well, as I stated earlier in this SOTD thread they have great longevity, but the actual shave is not light years ahead of anything today. That goes for "Spoilers" as well. I had over two hundred of those also and sold when the market was high. I think the best blades of today are just as good if not better. YMMV.

P.S. I had a Personna 74 DE blade left over and I recently sent it over to the Emporium as tribute to the Lord of the Manor, i.e., Boycie.

Yep, I had a just under 100 DE ones a few yrs. back and sold them for a song. Why you ask? Well, as I stated earlier in this SOTD thread they have great longevity, but the actual shave is not light years ahead of anything today. That goes for "Spoilers" as well. I had over two hundred of those also and sold when the market was high. I think the best blades of today are just as good if not better. YMMV.

P.S. I had a Personna 74 DE blade left over and I recently sent it over to the Emporium as tribute to the Lord of the Manor, i.e., Boycie.
I'm saving it for my 40th :cool:

Back
Top Bottom