Wednesday 27th April 2016
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop
Blade: Valet Blued
Brush: Semogue OC SE 2012 Mixed
Soap: Vitos Extra Super
Aftershave: Astral cream (soft)
EDP: Aramis Perfume Rose Calligraphy

A really good close shave but 'tuggy' which seems to be a fact of life with these stropped original blades. I am starting to think more and more that the problem is the pressure of the blade on the strop which is considerably greater than you would use if you were stropping a blade by hand in a handle, or if you were stropping a straight razor. A stropping handle is of course not an option with Valet blades.

Regards
Dick.

P1010559.JPG
Aye..Dick.No pressure at all with these Stropping Blades..The Auto Strops can be Tricky to Use..If the Blade is Tugging its Not Shave Ready..Auto Strop Designs Do tend to lend themselves with too much Pressure..:)

Billy

SOTD 27/4/16

Hot Towel, Phoenix & Beau Citra Royale, Omega 48, Merkur 39C, Astra SP(8), Cold Towel

What a shave. Close, smooth, extremely well scented and above all, drama free. I am really enjoying face lathering these past few days, I cannot wait for my new brushes from Mervyn to do more of it.

View attachment 18155
Truly inspiring photo Nick, there are many talented folks on the forum which is a real treat.

Aromabar lavender shaving oil
Wickhams Super Smooth English lavender
Vulfix medium synthetic
Ikon deluxe head on bulldog handle
Personna Double edge (2)
Alum (remembered this time!)
Speick ASB

Changed back to the bulldog handle after feeling 'raw' last shave and.... Still not great. After lots of great shaves with the ikon deluxe last week it's been poor since swapping the rapira swede with the Personna double edge (the ones in the bulky metal packs of 10). Perhaps not a great combo (it surely couldn't be poor technique ;) ) despite trying to be more careful and not going xtg on neck picked up a few weapers. This inspired me to remember to use the alum this time. Better.

The vulfix loft seems far too much but it gives me really silky lather when applying after bowl lathering. Haven't tried it with a properly 'hard' soap yet though.

Back
Top Bottom