SOTD : Saturday 24th March - Friday 30th March 2018

Thursday 29th March

Olive Oil Soap
Vitos Preshave Cream
Derby Lavender Shave Cream
Yaqi Cashmere synthetic brush
Ming Shi 2000S Razor with a Treet Durasharp (3, 3, 5)
Alum Block and Rinse
Bart's Balm Lime Oil ASB
Old Spice White Water AS

Bit of a mishmash today. I was in a rush this morning and just grabbed the first things that came to hand. Despite that I had a really
nice shave:)

Last edited:
SOTD 29/03/2018

uRgh0mbPNJSNYVNH4QydMJOlfKZnZQ1r-OD8eYW_1RP1i6vm3TLmC9-cee_9k9ISKLfrIOE9erSOgyAXjDe-2f2eRz9DBfrU9M5UTHjW942pCv8sHYKnKMpKxkmQwnNGJG71NVakz8bZZaBj8p0M6PC8yQO2cr9HhygIO0ztXvsm--LJPdB-POu7giZWvNy_bnK_f8oww7skQ2z_dn2w3b4G8mN9DUwVSx2UUcppoP5XxGOx64dkkyJ1RZDiBpjj4q1ziwx_EzHZgolDOPNVO9J3FLraUYQPRHYfqewLwp7tGZFfMDupklWotxS4KLefi3U81AYzMJ_0cx1ZxbsC5JnTMFtbKD2jH1Y0Te5wXWr2h0lhFlzVqx2WXfbLG027i3xsTucfZcXuURivZNpoX5fthOQaIdXRaPVIuwJKnbenr-0tFVU-qxfPQp5wHJdGxv3KhIUNpiLFWcxIgS1DMSsC9M8ufmJ-g01qJRmOlOO7GDgMVD4iZkJW1x7YyNbfXGNGDHzj_ynmzgL5W6gEGCRHjwKQCLYCj9DLtHMZ-2Sh6N4Kkpc17JQtecx5Jk-ap2MapCCj28xTQDYRTzOWGyA2Q2IvTwlVWMuQrpDk5czJozPKcKtewyNOGMc5IrOMlETm6xdnfECHbq5hu21V73lzUbIrfVqn=w1600

Charcoal Soap
Wickham's 1912 Buddha Wood & Semogue 1305 Banded Boar
Knockout & SuperMax Blue Diamond (2)
Two Pass - WTG
Witch Hazel Toner
Puig Quorum Aftershave & EDT
Pinaud Eau de Quinine Hair Tonic​

Horrible! With such a mild razor I ended up applying too much pressure ...

SOTD 29 March 2018

Had a stinking cold since I got back from Berlin on Saturday, today is the first day I have had the chance to post.

If I may, first of all a picture from the Mulhe shop Berlin - a fab experience; I was hoping that the DLC Rocca would be on show - alas no. I can't recommend Berlin highly enough; a great city, lots to do, very cheap to get around on the excellent public transport, food, beer and wine were all amazing.

Germany-2.jpg

My shaves on holiday were great; managed to try Speick shaving cream and the original Pitralon; both of which were sourced from a supermarket on day 1, and were devine. Day 3 - I picked up a R41 Open comb, which replaced my iKon 101 shavecraft in my shave rotation for the rest of the holiday. I was very surprised with the R41 Open comb, when I bought it I though it was an R89 Open comb, Duh! I had shaved with a R41 years ago which did not end well. However, this time no problems at all - great shave each time.

Germany-1.jpg

Back to my SOTD, 29 March 2018

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap wash followed by warm water splash.
Cream - Murdock Avalon
Brush - Muhle Purist, Silvertip Fibre.
Bowl - Little Wren Pottery.
Razor - Rex Supply Co. Ambassador Adjustable DE Razor - setting 3.
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (day 1).
Post shave - OSP Eucalyptus and Menthol Splash.

I picked up the Rex adjustable from The Gentleman's Groom Room, Dundee - it felt so good in the hand, and Ian spoke so enthusiastically about the razor; it was impossible to walk away - although I'll be skint in April :-(

IMG_1108(1).jpg

The shave was very good - great lather from the Murdock shave cream, whipped up nicely by the Muhle Silvertip; which felt just as good if not slightly better than my Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic.

It was the Rex that was the star of the show. I was very impressed with the Rex on its first outing, went for setting 3; which worked well. A 2 pass shave with some touch-ups on the chin and I was DFS + all over. One small nick on my neck, on the second pass - which was nothing to write home about.

Looking forward to getting more shaves in with the Rex and to getting rid of this ba$tard cold.

All the best,

Chris

Last edited:
SOTD 29 March 2018

Had a stinking cold since I have got back from Berlin on Saturday, today is the first day I have had the chance to post.

If I may, first of all a picture from the Mulhe shop Berlin - a fab experience; I was hoping that the DLC Rocca would be on show - alas no. I can't recommend Berlin highly enough; a great city, lots to do, very cheap to get around on the excellent public transport, food, beer and wine were all amazing.

View attachment 34407

My shaves on holiday were great; managed to try Speick shaving cream and the original Pitralon; both of which were sourced from a supermarket on day 1, and were devine. Day 3 - I picked up a R41 Open comb, which replaced my iKon 101 shavecraft in my shave rotation for the rest of the holiday. I was very surprised with the R41 Open comb, when I bought it I though it was an R89 Open comb, Duh! I had shaved with a R41 years ago which did not end well. However, this time no problems at all - great shave each time.

View attachment 34410

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap wash followed by warm water splash.
Cream - Murdock Avalon

I picked up the Rex adjustable from The Gentleman's Groom Room, Dundee - it felt so good in the hand, and Ian spoke so enthusiastically about the razor; it was impossible to walk away - although I'll be skint in April :-(

View attachment 34417

The shave was very good - great lather from the Murdock shave cream, whipped up nicely by the Muhle Silvertip; which felt just as good if not slightly better than my Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic.

It was the Rex that was the start of the show. I was very impressed with the Rex on its first outing, went for setting 3; which worked well. A 2 pass shave with some touch-ups on the chin and I was DFS + all over. One small nick on my neck, on the second pass - which was nothing to write home about.

Looking forward to getting more shaves in with the Rex and to getting rid of this ba$tard cold.

All the best,

Chris
That Rex looks fabulous, hope you feel better soon. P.

Thanks Paul. Pretty sure I picked up the cold from the air conditioning on the return flight. Hope all is good with you. You're lavender shaves sound great. I have made a mental note to order some OSP lavender soap, after reading one of your SOTD's.

All the best,

Chris

SOTD 29 March 2018

Had a stinking cold since I have got back from Berlin on Saturday, today is the first day I have had the chance to post.

View attachment 34407

View attachment 34410

Cream - Murdock Avalon

View attachment 34417

It was the Rex that was the start of the show. I was very impressed with the Rex on its first outing, went for setting 3; which worked well. A 2 pass shave with some touch-ups on the chin and I was DFS + all over. One small nick on my neck, on the second pass - which was nothing to write home about.

All the best,

Chris
Thanks Paul. Pretty sure I picked up the cold from the air conditioning on the return flight. Hope all is good with you. You're lavender shaves sound great. I have made a mental note to order some OSP lavender soap, after reading one of your SOTD's.

All the best,

Chris
Lavender shave's are fab! I always feel relaxed and refreshed afterwards.

The AC on aircraft are not good at all so it stands a good chance you did pick something up on the way back.

All is good with me, thank's. Paul.

Thursday 29th March 2018
SOTD 29 Mar.jpg
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + Bulldog face wash and Proraso white
Razor: Ever-Ready 1924
Blade: GEM SS (#2) + 2 loom band shim
Brush: Mason Pearson Super Badger
Soap: L'Occitane cream
AS: Bulldog balm

2 passes and done, must try a longer handle on this razor, it really is just a tad too short for me.

Pretty sure I picked up the cold from the air conditioning on the return flight

I agree with this idea Chris - I am most likely in life to get sick after being on a flight. It perhaps - doesn't need to be air-con related - might be just some ignorant b****rd in the row behind coughing without covering their mouth. Anyway - glad you had a good trip - get well soon - great sotd post. +1 on you giving lavender a go - my new favourite thing currently. Yours - I.

Date: 30 March 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Stirling Finest Badger 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wickham 1912 ~ Cashmere 2x
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- Muhle R41 v2013 head with Rockwell Chrome handle
Blade:- Feather #2 ...:oops:
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

Wednesday 28th March

YaqI 24mm Tuxedo Marble Handle
Wickham 1912 Russian Leather
Merkur 34C HD
Treet Carbon (1)
Lime witch hazel
Nivea 2 Phase Aftershave

I was looking for a fuss free shave after a day of running around like lunatic at work finishing my work quota for the end of the quarter. (Revenue, revenue, revenue has been the title of many emails for the last fortnight ! ) I didn't even get a lunch break I was that busy.
I knew Russian Leather was on the cards but it wasn't until I stepped out of the bath that I knew which razor and blade I was going to use.
The Merkur HD is about as fuss free as you can get. The Carbon blade, while not the sharpest is worthy of using with this razor. (I wouldn't push one past two uses though)
My usual two pass routine, WTG and ATG resulted in very near BBS.
Keeping it simple, some 2 Phase Aftershave to finish and I was left feeling "brand new".
That certainly "Did the bizzo" . . (Reference to Scotch Harry from Minder) !

"V&T, Dave....and Terry, my son, I've got a nice little earner for you..."

Monday.
Prep: Hot towel
Pre shave: Prep
Razor: Sensor Excel
Blade: N/A
Brush: Rough,No Name Boar
Soap: Through the Fire Fine Craft: Brokkr
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / RazoRock Aftershave Wax

Brokkr whipped up a treat... a quality shave was had.. s'all good!

Wednesday
Soap: Prohibition Style: Capone's Bayrum

A top notch shave with Capone's Bayrum... this soap is very underrated, and needs more love from the masses..

Friday (Birthday Shave)
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush: 'Jade' (Rooney Heritage 2XL Jade)
Soap: Chiseled Face / Zoologist 'Nightingale'
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Wholly Kaw: King of Oud Aftershave Toner
Fragrance: the bewitching fragrance that is Mona di Orio's Oud...

Mmm mm.. oh yeah... happy birthday to me..

Monday.
Soap: Through the Fire Fine Craft: Brokkr

Brokkr whipped up a treat... a quality shave was had.. s'all good!

Wednesday
Soap: Prohibition Style: Capone's Bayrum

A top notch shave with Capone's Bayrum... this soap is very underrated, and needs more love from the masses..

Friday (Birthday Shave)
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush: 'Jade' (Rooney Heritage 2XL Jade)
Soap: Chiseled Face / Zoologist 'Nightingale'
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Wholly Kaw: King of Oud Aftershave Toner
Fragrance: the bewitching fragrance that is Mona di Orio's Oud...

Mmm mm.. oh yeah... happy birthday to me..
Happy Birthday mate hope you have a wonderful day. ;)

Back
Top Bottom