SOTD Saturday 25th November 2017 - Friday 1st December 2017

d7ed38c7761dc6994b30a9927fae30ab.jpg

Great shave with this MW Sweet Briar with a strong scent of Apple Strudel and top performance. Jayaruh #109 was a treat on its first use. Gorgeous two-woods ergonomic handle and a top silvertip knot to complement it. The GEM Push-Button though not my favourite GEM razor as I am partial to the older generation GEMs is still a great razor to use and consistently gives me a comfortable close shave. Have a great weekend friends.​

SOTD: 26th November 2017.
B.Sun(nov26th).JPG

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Hot shower:/ Wrights Cold Tar Soap Body Wash & Vosene Shampoo .

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Wilkinsons Fruits~ Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter.

Brush: Omega 10077.

Bowl Lather.

Soap : Erasmic Shaving Soap Bowl .

Blade: Wilkinson Sword .(2)

Razor: Ying Ji Li~ 8306 .

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Alum Block./Cold Water Face Rinse/Gillette A/S Balm .

Old Spice ~ WhiteWater Aftershave.

Greetings,

A wonderful relaxing 3 pass + pick ups DFS shave, with no errors to report.

My razor choice today , the in-expensive Ying Ji Li~ 8306. razor,(7oclock sterling razor copy)which was one of my first

DE razors i bought from Ebay to try out, when i first introduced myself to DE shaving.

I'm amazed how well this light weighted in-expensive razor performed today..It just goes to show, that a less than

£2.00 DE razor, can give you a good shave,without sounding super frugal,which i'm not in anyway.

The erasmic soap bowl provided me with a superb slick lather, the Wilkinson Sword Blade performed excellently on it's

second use with the Ying Ji Li 8306 , with no tugging issues,making my sunday shave very enjoyable.

The star of my shave today was the Ying Ji Li ~8306. Razor, I'm astounded by it's performance, absolutely superb.

Finishing the shave off with a generous splash of Old Spice ~ Whitewater Aftershave.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy your Sunday, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

image.jpg ~SOTD~ Sunday 26th November

Prep ~ face wash with Wrights traditional soap
Razor ~ bakelite razor of unkown origin
Blade ~ Treet Black beauty
Brush ~ Anbbas boar
Soap ~ P.160 Tipo Duro
Post ~ BBA PSB
Scent ~ Penhaligon's Sartorial

Not the best shave I've had but the best shave ive had with this aggressive razor, the Treet blades seem to work well with it but it still bit me under my bottom lip. BBA PSB calmed and soothed after stinging a little but all good in the hood. I got my own back on the razor for biting me......on reassembley I over tightend the handle and the cap fell off! I could repair with some superglue but I dont think its worth it, it was a hateful razor at the best of times!
A spray of Sartorial set me up for whatever the day brings :)

Wishing you a relaxing Sunday.......:)

Sun 26th Nov.

Vulfix 404 mixed
Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus
ER " Streamline"
Gem S/S [ 1 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse Off
Pitralon Original A/S Lotion

Back to Vintage with my favourite ER Razor the "Streamline", which is either liked / disliked by those who have tried it. I was lucky as I got one in my early SE days, and it was the SE razor I used most.

Those who like it will appreciate how satisfying it is to get a great shave with a Streamline. Today was no exception, and though I did not time it the Shave seemed quicker than recent ones with AC/SE razors. In fact the quality of finish is up there with recent ones attained with modern SEs. I have yet to try the Sabre which has favourable reports , but a bit out of my reach financially as I have lashed out a bit on AC/SE razors, and am favouring restoration of a vintage watch as a priority.

IMG_0100.jpg

Prep - Hot towel
Pre shave - Prep
Razor – Tesco cartridge
Blade – N/A
Brush - Rough,No Name Boar
Soap – Faena: Dorica
Post - Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Wickham Soap: Cashmere Aftershave Balm

A Saturday shave, and I didn't have time to break out a badger, and DE :-( so, a cartridge, and no name boar again... Well, Faena: Dorica delivered a wonderful, thick easy lather, with great slickness, and the protection that you expect from a tallow+lanolin soap.. a little irritation due to repeated passes over my trouble spots with an average cart, that isn't as good as the Sensor, but all in all a great performance from a soap that deserves more attention. The Wickham Soap: Cashmere Aftershave Balm was light and easily absorbed... BBS, and feeling good.

Sunday (supposedly) relaxing shave. . . . .

Ingram Shave Cream (yes, the runny stuff in a tube) ((more on this crap to follow))!

La Toja Shave Stick

RazoRock 400 Plisoft Noir

Merkur 34C HD

Astra SP (3)

Lime witch hazel

Proraso Green ASL

Real Shaving Co Post Shave Balm

Ard Al Zaafaran Oud 24 Hrs EdP

I thought to myself this morning, I would take a trip down memory lane and use Ingram cream for my shave. The tube had been at the back of the cabinet for some months without use

I duly dispensed a fair amount of the runny white cream into my bowl and whipped up a copious amount of lather with my 400.
Pass one went as well as can be expected, (given that I hadn't used any pre shave).
Pass two confined that this cream isn't fit for purpose. Two weepers and an uncomfortable feeling on my neck

So I open the cabinet to find a (decent) replacement to finish my shave with.
La Toja Shave Stick to the rescue !
I rinsed out the brush, applied the stick to my wet face and lathered up. The difference in performance is like night and day.
Cushion, glide and sickness galore !

I rinsed off with hot then cold water, dried off and splashed on plenty of witch hazel.
Proraso Aftershave and Real Shaving Co Post Shave Balm are helping my skin recover from the horrid Ingram mistake.

I've binned the Ingram cream, but I've kept the tube they sent me after I complained about the first tube being runny. I might give it a go sometime, but I will prep properly before I use it. . . . Then again, I'll most likely stick to better quality soaps and creams and keep the Ingram as a reminder . . .

Sun 26th Nov.

Vulfix 404 mixed
Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus
ER " Streamline"
Gem S/S [ 1 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse Off
Pitralon Original A/S Lotion

Back to Vintage with my favourite ER Razor the "Streamline", which is either liked / disliked by those who have tried it. I was lucky as I got one in my early SE days, and it was the SE razor I used most.

Those who like it will appreciate how satisfying it is to get a great shave with a Streamline. Today was no exception, and though I did not time it the Shave seemed quicker than recent ones with AC/SE razors. In fact the quality of finish is up there with recent ones attained with modern SEs. I have yet to try the Sabre which has favourable reports , but a bit out of my reach financially as I have lashed out a bit on AC/SE razors, and am favouring restoration of a vintage watch as a priority.

View attachment 31177
Indeed, Mike. I've never looked back with mine. It's one I reserve for those shaves after 2-3 day's growth; at which the Streamline pours scorn on. Perfect balance and weight.

Sunday 26th November

Birch Tar soap and RSC Facial Scrub
Vitos Preshave Cream
Vitos Tabacca Shaving Cream
Giles Shaving Co Bowl
Semogue SOC 2 Band in Cherry Wood
Feather AC RG with a Feather Super Pro Blade
Alum Block and rinse
BBA PS Balm
Vitos Tabacco AS
Oudh Khalifa EDP

The Feather RG is the predecessor of the current SS range of Artist Clubs. The blade holder has the same geometry as the DX, but is in brass rather than Stainless Steel. It is much more aggressive than the SS range. I think today was the first time I have used it with a Super Pro Blade so I was delighted with the results. Claret free and BBS with 2 passes and just a tiny touch up in the normal place.
The Giles bowl....while badly chipped is still useable....and will be until my replacement arrives
Have a great Sunday

Sunday...

Pre - Proraso M&E
Soap - The Fat
Brush - RazoRock Plissoft 24mm
Face lather
Razor - Feather AC non-folding
Blade - Feather Professional
Post - Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
After shave - BBA balm

Lovely relaxing 2 pass shave this morning. For me, 2 passes is enough for a smooth finish with this razor (WTG and ATG). I find if I try XTG, clumsiness ensues, with the chance of a cut (probably operator error on my part). So, a 2 pass approach is the way forward. No cuts or irritation and feeling great; owing to the combination of the Fat (gotta love it) and the BBA.

35C151BC-DD4C-4CF1-AFB2-5C100D5F9617.jpeg

Last edited:

d7ed38c7761dc6994b30a9927fae30ab.jpg

Great shave with this MW Sweet Briar with a strong scent of Apple Strudel and top performance. Jayaruh #109 was a treat on its first use. Gorgeous two-woods ergonomic handle and a top silvertip knot to complement it. The GEM Push-Button though not my favourite GEM razor as I am partial to the older generation GEMs is still a great razor to use and consistently gives me a comfortable close shave. Have a great weekend friends.​
Greetings

That's a nice old razor I am trying to recall if I have ever seen a gold plated Pushbutton before and I don't believe I have, only nickle plated ones. That's a good find.

GEM it seemed made gold versions of most (if not all) of their razors but some of them are extremely uncommon.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom