SOTD: Saturday 26th August-Friday 1st September 2017.

Thank you Ricardo @Merkurologist !
6s0jjx0.jpg

Tues 29th Aug
Omega 11126 boar
Cyril Salter solid Soap
Supply Single Edge -plate 3
Schick Proline Type B AC blade ( 6 )
Alum Rub. / Rinse off
Floid Vigoroso A/S lotion

The Single Edge was not good for me in its early days, as despite using plate 3 and various new and NOS blades, it was too mild and I could not get a decent Shave with it.

I decided to take a gamble and use an AC Type blade in it, namely the Schick Proline Type B, whose big brother had been good for me in the Likes of the General/ Claymore.

This change of blade has proved to be a success, and today I got an extremely comfortable close Shave, which was very smooth yet had a positive blade feel too. in fact better than yesterday's with the General,I must sort out the handle problem.

IMG_1544.jpg

@SpeedyPC - how are you finding the Rapira Platinum Lux? I bought 50 of them recently by mistake (the pack looks a lot like Gillette Rubies). I have a mixed view of them. They feel terribly rough on the first shave (especially the first pass) but the shave itself is very close, and no weepers etc. Basically, they work well, but that first pass is just not much fun. I am wondering if it's worth stopping them (mixed feedback on the effectiveness of this).

G'day @Supermangs I bought one packet of 5 blades of Rapira Platinum Lux in West of London just to try these blades on my Gillette Ball End Tech as I've never try them before, because I thought this blade behave very similar to Gillette Platinum, however, the Rapira Platinum Lux is not quite as sharp against the Gillette Platinum.

But is still smoother against the Gillette Platinum, so is very hard to say at the moment as I've had two shaves so far, so I don't know or how far the Rapira Platinum Lux can reach the total maximum number of shaves. I'm not getting any nicks, cuts and irritation so far using the Gillette Ball End Tech at the moment, I haven't tried the Rapira Platinum Lux onto my Parker Variant Adjustable at moment until I finished what I'm currently using than I'll start my next shave soon.

"Day off";

IMG_5098.png

Gillette Rocket
Voskhod #1
Lemon Chill
2-band 26mm

No work today. Have had a haircut as I needed to get out the house. I have, however, cleaned most of the house, mowed the lawn and taken the dog out...twice. She's got another walk to go before I wash and vacuum the car before going back to work tomorrow. I decided a shave was in order after mowing the lawn. I needed a cool down and how better than some Stirling Lemon Chill?
Great lather as per, lovely and slick and shiny, bountiful lather to cover my face twice and more... in fact, I used the remaining lather on my cheeks, chin, neck and back of neck before hopping into a cold(ish) shower. Refreshing! The Gillette I've not taken out much thus far but it did the job nicely enough for me. It didn't get awfully close, probably due to user error, and I have a couple of slightly stubbly patches remaining but I'm a lot cleaner than before and with no hint of irritation. I wish I could nail an ATG pass on my neck to really smooth things out a bit, but that is probably surplus to requirements.
Anywhom, in short. A quick, easy shave, no issues, a bit of Meißner Tremonia Natural Bay Rum on before heading out with my little doggy. A closer shave needed next time though, this one was just sub-par for me.

Next!

Sotd - Tuesday 29/8 -

Razor - 1912
blade - Gem (4)
brush - Maseto 24mm 2 band
soap - Williams Ice Blue
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid Vigoroso
balm - Russian Vitamin F

Result - great - round three of non-artisan shaving. Not that I had any time to mull over the results. Today reminded me of why I generally don't and shouldn't shave in the morning. I got lathered up and took the first stroke with the razor down my cheek and my phone starts to ring. The content of the call was roughly - sorry, forgot to get in touch last night, early job, get here now. I left out the swearing involved. Well, I was committed to shaving now - you can't go to your work with a clean shaven stripe down one cheek - so better get this done quickly and safely. I loathe having to shave in a hurry - apart from anything else it's dangerous. It's also what a shave for me is not about - rushing. It reduces it to the level of a mundane and functional act. It normally takes me a good 10 minutes to pick an aftershave. Out of all my razors I'm grateful I had the 1912 in my hand - I think you would really have to try hard to hurt yourself with it. Even shaving with indecent haste I had no fear of it and it left me clean as a whistle in 2 passes with no irritation. My tube of this cream is half empty but I have never shaved with it before - I used it for breaking in brushes. I feel a little guilty about this now - it's every bit as good as its more mentholated sibling which is a favourite of mine. So job done and out the door still rubbing the balm into my skin. Just as well it absorbs so quickly and easily. I'm never going to shave in the morning again - well, not without turning my phone onto silent anyway.

Enjoy your shaves gentlemen - cheers - I.

@Wayne Pritchard - thank you again for the razor - it's a lovely bit of kit. I hope to return the favour one day.

English Tech Head w/ RH Custom Stainless Handle
Rapira Swede
Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic
Ingram
Benjamin's Bay Rum
Unrefined Shea Butter

Good shave but probably should've ditched the blade and it felt a little ragged and tuggy. Still loving the handle/head combination which has been a real revelation. Could never get a Gillette Tech to give the sort of results either an EJ or my trusty 34c yields but if anything this setup is even better. The handle, I havd tried with an EJ (not bad, not great) and a Minora LC (face-remover!) but for some strange reason, I never did pair it with my re-plated Tech until now. Almost sold the ruddy Tech so jolly glad didn't! Seem to remember @Count of Undolpho posting a while back regarding the use of a Tech head with a longer heavier handle and his positive findings so I'm very pleased to echo these. The handle is a marvel of craftsmanship by @RedHorseman and is of a design inspired by the late great Bob of Bob's Razor Works. Approximately 12mm diameter by 85mm in length and looks rather akin to this example:

cooncatbob-bobs-razor-works-4_360_6a66348f22e4a046790b1ff1d8b74de4.jpg

The grip is excellent, the balance a treat and the overall finish is a masterclass in highly polished stainless steel. Just feels so natural in the hand with the angle being perfectly easy to find every time. I'm sure the picture above is by a member here but cannot, for the life of me, remember who. Age.....sheesh.

English Tech Head w/ RH Custom Stainless Handle
Rapira Swede
Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic
Ingram
Benjamin's Bay Rum
Unrefined Shea Butter

Good shave but probably should've ditched the blade and it felt a little ragged and tuggy. Still loving the handle/head combination which has been a real revelation. Could never get a Gillette Tech to give the sort of results either an EJ or my trusty 34c yields but if anything this setup is even better. The handle, I havd tried with an EJ (not bad, not great) and a Minora LC (face-remover!) but for some strange reason, I never did pair it with my re-plated Tech until now. Almost sold the ruddy Tech so jolly glad didn't! Seem to remember @Count of Undolpho posting a while back regarding the use of a Tech head with a longer heavier handle and his positive findings so I'm very pleased to echo these. The handle is a marvel of craftsmanship by @RedHorseman and is of a design inspired by the late great Bob of Bob's Razor Works. Approximately 12mm diameter by 85mm in length and looks rather akin to this example:

cooncatbob-bobs-razor-works-4_360_6a66348f22e4a046790b1ff1d8b74de4.jpg

The grip is excellent, the balance a treat and the overall finish is a masterclass in highly polished stainless steel. Just feels so natural in the hand with the angle being perfectly easy to find every time. I'm sure the picture above is by a member here but cannot, for the life of me, remember who. Age.....sheesh.
Fantastic looking handle.

Back
Top Bottom