SOTD: Saturday 28 October - Friday 3 November 2023.

Why, a good day to you lovely people out there in the shaving community. And to those bearded folk, sod off.

As my first entry in this new week of SOTD's it has been decided by some organisation or other I am compelled to theme this one, 'Made in Switzerland'

20231028_204424.jpg

Rolex the razor - Tatara Nodachi
Holey cheesy blades - Clifton Durablade
Basel brush - Highlander LFC
Chocolate soap - Captain Fawcett's scarpicchio
Moisturising the Matterhorn - Collegen
Patek Philippe de Parfum - YSL homme

'Having a Swiss watch'

Switzerland. A small land-locked African country with a varied geological topography and a variety of plantation, both legal and illegal.

Whoops. Just realised I am of course waffling on about Swaziland (now known as Eswatini)

Switzerland. A small land-locked European country famous for fine precision engineering, particularly watches and leather pants. Swiss cheese where they have perfected a produce which is 50% fresh air. A method of torture involving triangular shaped chocolate bars which wedge themselves in to the roof of the mouth followed by introducing nougatine pieces in between the teeth, hence making it impossible to talk. The tortured party is then taken away, jailed and fed the 50% which doesn't contain cheese for the rest of their lives.

They also happen to make a 'Swiss precision' razor blade which takes its name from a suspension bridge. Clifton. Then added 'Durablade', so I am expecting this blade to last a lifetime. Which is more than I may last. If I last a lifetime I would be surprised.

A superb bit of lathering from the Scarpicchio (it doesn't do anything else), blade located correctly (or so I hope) in the ever faithful Tatara and away we go (we, as in the singular, I).

Indeed a very smooth delivery in a Swiss precision kind of way, but sharp? Not so convincing. If this is the Swiss concept of sharp I shall give their famous army knives a miss. May be it will be durable because it's blunt and lacks an edge. I also lack an edge and also go on and on.

Still, some form of a happy shave and no collateral along the way, but just all a bit 'And for your starter for 10'.

And to start this week on a 10 it is over to those very talented ladies 'Band Maid'. Other than that they are far better looking than any of you lot....

And what would a week be without me saying 'I love you all'

Prep: Face wash with Simple face wash
Pre: Bart’s Pre-Shave
Razor: Reggie's Razor - Titan
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock – Yellow (4)
Brush: Muhle - Hexagon (Forest Green) -Synthetic
S Cream: ES – Fragrance Free

As mentioned before by some of the other passaround participants I can too confirm this razor tilts the scale to the aggressive side. My daily driver is a Muhle R89 and it does everything I want it to. Saying that I enjoy a Rockwell 6s on a 5 and even 6 plate.
With the Titan you know exactly where you as it does provide good blade feel. After a few shaves I can now say that two passes and some pick-ups is all I need for a very good result. I was not left with sore skin yet. Will try a Nacet next as it's a bit sharper and see how that goes. All in all a very comfortable and efficient razor.

View attachment 112819

A superbly simple photo with great effect. Love it

Ps. An utter waste of some good lather ;)

Last edited:
20231029_140006-01.jpeg
My Shave today consisted of...

Prep Proraso preshave balm
Brush Highlander TSR 2023 Badger brush.
Soap Geo F Trumpers Rose cream.
Razor Charcoal Goods Brass Stinger.
Blade Derby Premium.
Aftershave Jean paul gaultier.
Another excellent shave with the Trumpers Rose cream, I will purchase the lime one next and see how that goes.
The Stinger performed perfectly as per the norm but I definitely feel that the feather blade pairs better with it.
Enjoy the rain folks and have a cracking day.

Sunday 29th October

ADCreHcZmlFKpV6Q5N0rEtDzPxGttE6W9feXTIAJv1qW5Eh4ooQ6Xtgni3aaTigUMmBpSRB1rEWkGC_fNcGOqmIe-FknerA7w3SJBN7W1CLIBhocdzMkJnmqzdh_rI9LM35xiDYFj-zwcYR3PfmoHLS4ivuq2g=w800

Imperial Leather (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Haryali Black Fibre Synthetic 22mm
Leaf Twig & Shark Stainless (2)
Imperial Leather (Vintage) Aftershave

Grand!

SOTD 29 October 2023

Pre-shave:
Hot shower, Carbon Theory Charcoal and Tea Tree Oil Cleansing Bar, followed by cold water splash and Gentlemans Groom Pre-shave Prep Plus
Soap: Asylum Levante
Brush: Simpsons 2 - Best Badger.
Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow (1).

The Blackland Tradere (SB) gave me some of the best shaves in recent years - smooth, efficient, close in 2 passes with no issues to report. The Tradere reminded me of the Blackland Dart - another razor which for me (YMMV) gives a very close/efficient shave).

The Dart did not dissapoint - I used a very steep shaving angle (handle almost perpendicular to my face) - excellent shave DFS+/BBS- with 2 passes (WTG and XTG). On the basis of today's shave, I would say the Tradere had the upper hand - for me the Dart requires more concentration and disciplne to maintain the shave angle - and even when you hit the sweet spot, the Tradere still gave a slightly better shave, for less effort.

Mind you this was only one shave, so perhaps unfair to jump to conclusions.

It was also a weird shave this morning: SWMBO was sad about the passing of Matthew Perry, and that also rubbed off on me - I loved Friends in the day - the 'baby of the bus' episode being a favourite. RIP.

All the best,

Chris

Pre: Sainsbury's Tea Tree Cleansing Bar
Razor: Blackland Era - L4SB
Blade: NOS Gillette Spain - Platinum Plus (1)
Soap: Mike's - Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Brush: FS G4 - 24mm Synthetic

1000032841.jpg

Mikes was a soap I tried early in my journey wet shaving and I moved it on quickly due to an absence in my opinion of slickness. Now with what I hopefully presume to be an improved lathering technique, the results are much better. The lesson from this is, don't write off well-regarded products that don't seem to work well for you. Revisit again with an open mind

For several years, I thought these blades were made in England for the Italian market, but a lot of digging has revealed that they were actually made in Sevilla, Spain. Definitely top-tier blades that remind me of both English Gillette Platinum and US Schick Plus Platinum.

Back
Top Bottom