SOTD : Saturday 28th April - Friday 4th May 2018.

Evening all.
Another of my infrequent posts.
After a good day spent working in the garden with her ladyship I fancied a bit of a refreshing shave so opted for Sterling's obsidian.
Now I have only tried this one once before, and that was in forty plus degrees in key West, and it was pretty bracing then!
Cold has nothing on this, we are talking burning sensation by third pass, but not in an awful way.
Paired with a new Lodz blade in the muhle r89 a great smooth shave was on the cards. One or two small nicks, but nothing terrible.
Decent shower and a bit of Atkinson triple extract to finish. Very nice indeed, sat here now with a g+t while food is cooking.
Obsidian soap
Razorock italian barber brush
Muhle r89 razor
Lodz blade #1
Tried to post a picture, but struggling to get file small enough with new phone upgrade.

When I first started de shaving I could do no wrong with this razor, but now the razorock is my go to razor I can easily make silly mistakes with it. Blooming shame as it's a lovely razor.

I'm sure the mistakes will disappear. I recently got my hands on a Timeless and the best I can say is an R89 on steroids. Mistakes are rare because I believe they got it right. Must try one of these Razorock's though as folk tend to love them.

I'm sure the mistakes will disappear. I recently got my hands on a Timeless and the best I can say is an R89 on steroids. Mistakes are rare because I believe they got it right. Must try one of these Razorock's though as folk tend to love them.
Seriously, they are awesome! Albeit a bit agricultural for some. Personally I can't go wrong with it set on plate 3

Sotd - Saturday 28/4 -

View attachment 35175

Razor - Mergress (1.5)
blade - Polsilver SI (5)
brush - Vie Long Anniversary 2 band
soap - SV Tundra Artica
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid Mentally Vigorous
balm - Bart's Peppermint lotion
scent - Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme.

Result - excellent.

A bric a brac approach - just using whatever software I fancied - as opposed to my norm of a scent theme running through the shave. All the better for it. Nice. For me - I have realised that the Mergress works its best dialed down. One more shave to go in the head to head with the Rockwell - if I was a betting man it might look like a dead heat in the offing. Thank you - he says ironically - to the fellow member that posted a picture of their Yaqi 24mm Aqua handle high-mountain badger brush last week - love at first sight for me - I had to have one - and thus it was so - unfortunately when I was on the site I saw the Moka Express two-band - that's just a gorgeous thing. What can I say - I'm worthless and weak. Both ordered and on their way - fingers crossed I don't get snagged at this end. They will cease to be cheap if that happens. I'm looking forward to trying them. The Extreme version of the Dior Sauvage isn't as good for me as the normal one - it lacks the predominant citrus notes - but my other half loves it - the path of least resistance is indeed a good thing. So - all in all a great shave - SV soap - what remains to be said? Ditto Bart's lotion. Job done - enjoy your shaves one and all - yours - I.
I'm a fan of Eau Sauvage too. I love the EdT: lemony, sparkly and yet somehow animalic. The EdP (clear ribbed bottle, olive green contents), is a sillage monster (on me, anyway). The myrrh gives a lovely resinous, powdery dry down once the citrusy bergamot and grassy vetiver yield a bit.

A545575_A-_E59_E-4_FE6-_BCA2-_C80528_BAF115.jpg

Supply (••) & B-20
Piacenza & YaQi

Quick tidy-up this morning with the Supply and...wow! I did wonder whether it might have been a one-off good shave with this new acquisition last time but, nope. It's a cracking razor, plain and simple. Smooth and irritation free. Winner.

Sunday evening

OSP Neroli
RazoRock Plissoft 24mm synth
Face lather
ER 1912 (England)
Gem SS PTFE
Thayer's Cucumber and Aloe Vera
4711 EdC

A sublime shave this evening. I run dry of superlatives for both the soap and the wonder that is the English 1912. Suffice to say that the experience was the nearest thing to perfection in an imperfect world.
10BC4A04-AD90-4024-9762-2C145160DCD1.jpeg

SOTD, Sunday 29 April 2018

Pre-shave - Long soak in the bath with Epson Salts, Kiehl's Ultra Facial cleanser, followed by warm water splash.
Cream - Musgo Lavender.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2, Synthetic.
Bowl - Little Wren Pottery.
Razor - Muhle R41
Blade - Astra SP (Green) (Day 2).
Post shave - Cold water splash; Clinique Post Shave Balm followed by Pitralon Classic.

I am a great fan of Epsom salts; its very good at softening the skin - overall a very good post shave preperation.

A sublime shave followed: 2 passes WTG and XTG face, with WTG and ATG on the neck.

I am getting more confident and feeling more relaxed when using the R41; the slightest weeper which went away with a cold water splash.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

All the best,

Chris
Chris

And for today my chosen theme was 'Around a Premier Inn in 80 days'

uc

Timeless 0.68/Feather
Useless Muhle synthetic
Priceless Gentleman's Tonic cream
Peerless ADP Colonia Club

Day 6 - Today I have ventured in to the realms of the bathroom where the locals are actually suggesting I consider reusing my towel. Be having none of that rubbish here and fresh towels it will just jolly well have to be. The native people may have troublesome thoughts aimed at the weary traveller and I remain very wary of their quest for not having to replace towels. What next I ask myself, a lessening in the use of plastics?

A change of blade in the Timeless was on the books and I thought I would see how that lovable rogue The Feather would fare. Very nice with a bit more of an agressive approach to the shave. Not quite the same comforting match as the Polsilver Lodz but still allowing the Timeless to weave its magic. The GT cream adding its own little spell in to the mix.

The brush, fucking useless but it sticks cream on my chops and manages to mix the cream in a hodge podge fashion. To be relegated to toilet cleaning duties in due course....but it will have to do for the moment as the only other brush I have with me is for cleaning teeth. Carelessly I might get tooth cream and shaving cream mixed up with possible interesting results.

Overall a smashing shave though and useless as it is; the brush must have functioned as a brush somewhere in there.

I am hoping day 7 may take me a little further than the adjoining room and furnish my life with more startling encounters. Cleanly shaven I am refreshed and ready for the challenges ahead in my quest to circumnavigate a Premier Inn in 80 days.

Plastics? :rolleyes:

What's wrong with the Muhle synth? I thought they were well respected. Ah, was it a black fibre as opposed to a STF?

What's wrong with the Muhle synth? I thought they were well respected. Ah, was it a black fibre as opposed to a STF?

It is indeed a black fibre. I also have their STF and they couldn't be further apart in performance.

The black fibre is too dense and too stiff with the lather sitting more on the outside than being spread throughout.

Back
Top Bottom