SOTD Saturday 29th August to Friday 4th September.

image.jpg

Feather Artist Club
Plisson synthetic
Catie's Bubbles Fouet L'Orange
Pitralon Swiss ASL
Guerlain Vetiver EDT

Sunday 30 August 2015

210497d1440935499-sun-august-30th-sat-september-06th-sotd-30082015.jpg

Mastro Livi RWL34, 9/8 Full Hollow, French Point

I always try to keep in rotation all the straight razors in my collection and it is not an easy task. I admit I use Mastro Livi straight razors the most and the reason it is obvious to me: they simply are the very best shavers I own and nothing compares to each of them. I usually shave three or four times a week and in just one of them I use one of the many vintage razors of my collection, whereas the other times it is always a Mastro Livi straight razor. Including Sunday shave in which I always use a Mastro Livi. Today I opted for this stellar Mastro Livi RWL34, simply superb, reliable and always giving a super smooth shave. I coupled this RWL34 razor to my latest Mastro Livi "Pennello Italiano" brush which confirmed to be a great brush: it easily mounted the XPEC shaving cream while giving a smooth and delicate massage to my face.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: XPEC Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24mm Knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 9/8 Full Hollow, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood Cologne

Koraat basic
Westholme linen & cordovan strop
Frank Shaving synthetic
Grandstaff holy smokes with Prep cream base
Lucky Tiger AS
Zirh soothe balm

Two days growth wiped away. Lovely!

SOTD 30/8/15

Hot Towel
Proraso Green
Body Shop Synthetic
The Raptor Shavette
Astra SS (2)
Cold Towel
Elemis SOS Cream

AdobePhotoshopExpress_06fc3d20b02948d19faf96ac2ff97cef.jpg

Today my had was forced to go back to the shavette, as the good lady wife was asleep and my Merkur was in the bedroom. So, I mixed up a very wet lather with the Proraso Green after prep and shaved away. The Green gives a lovely cooling sensation during the shave, and gives plenty of protection during the shave. I've noted the brush has very much broken in now, with no evidence of the rod of iron backbone it had when new. Aside from the awkward area around the Adams apple, the shave was very close.

Result? 4/5. Consistent results are coming from using the shavette now, and with a 5 day break, there was no sign of the return of the 'awkward' relearning the technique. Happy days. One day I will master the Adams apple with the shavette.

IMG_20150830_152203975_HDRe.jpg
Virginia Sheng 26mm synthetic
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Standard razor w/Shark Super Stainless #1
Rinse, Alum, Cold rinse
Alcolado / Witch Hazel 3:1
Neutrogena Comfort Balm

Am really liking the Spanish Shaving products that I have tried so far, they perform well for me,and are relatively inexpensive,and can be purchased in UK too.
Agree with that. I particularly like the La Toja Classic cream.

Soap used: NSS Moroccan Sands Olive Oil
Second use of the Kamisori blade in a Mongoose. - it felt a little rough. I may have watered down the NNS Olive Oil too much, however, very little sting from the Metisol so it couldn't have been a poor shave

Sunday:

Evening, all.
Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Derby Extra (2)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave cream: Wickham's hardsoap 1902
Aftershave: Pashana Bay Rum
Cologne: Rive Gauche Intense

Gillette pre-shave wash
Muhle 21mm Black Fibre V2
Haslinger Meeresalgen
EJ DE89
Wizamet Super Iridium
Baylis & Harding Noir Balm

As I suspected I was a bit rusty yesterday due to a week on cartridges, I repeated today.

Following my usual 2 pass frankenshave (WTG then mix of XTG and ATG) I managed to pull of a great BBS which just needed the most minor of touching-up.

I like this combination. A lot!

IMG_8880a.jpg

Last edited:
Mongoose Titanium Hempel handle
Feather Pro blade
Shavemac Silvertip two band
Catie's Bubbles Fouet L'Orange
L'Occitane Cedre & Oranger balm
L'Occitane Cedre & Oranger Edt

Back
Top Bottom