SOTD Saturday 29th August to Friday 4th September.

Thursday 3rd September

Hardcore wet shavers look away now!

Sheer laziness this morning meant I really couldn't be arsed to shave 'properly'. So I jumped in the shower, with my EJ89 and a tin of gillette foam. Yes folks, you read that correctly. Soaped up my mirror to stop it fogging and rubbed in a generous amount of foam. Quick north to south pass, relathered, if you can call it that, and a south to North to finish off.

Terrible shave? No. Great shave? Not that either. Slightly uncomfortable but I have less facial hair than when I got in the shower so I cannot complain.

Thursday 3rd September

Hardcore wet shavers look away now!

Sheer laziness this morning meant I really couldn't be arsed to shave 'properly'. So I jumped in the shower, with my EJ89 and a tin of gillette foam. Yes folks, you read that correctly. Soaped up my mirror to stop it fogging and rubbed in a generous amount of foam. Quick north to south pass, relathered, if you can call it that, and a south to North to finish off.

Terrible shave? No. Great shave? Not that either. Slightly uncomfortable but I have less facial hair than when I got in the shower so I cannot complain.

Sheesh, you youngsters! I can't say much, today's was my first rasp since Monday so I suppose that's being super lazy. Or perhaps just very lazy. Yeah, totally.

SOTD - Thurs
Pre: RazoRock menthol/lime soap
Soap: Mike's "Barbershop"
Brush: Shavemac Americana 24mm D01 silvertip
Razor: Weber DLC, Jurgen Hemple Ti-Wave handle
Blade: Personna Med-Prep (2)
Post: Thayer's Original witch hazel, followed by Myrsol Blue
Day-4 of the Barbershop Shootout. Holy crap this lather is slick! I nearly dropped the brush...twice! Great 3-pass BBS.

MdC
Omega 49
iKon SB DLC on Custom SE Handle
Lab Blue [1]
Proraso Green AS
Good lather from my MdC sample, but I did not find it particularly, slippy, cushioned or protective. No slip for a touch up without re-applying lather. I have weepers everywhere and my face is tingling like a tingling thing. Not even that smooth. You could say I've had better shaves!

MdC
Omega 49
iKon SB DLC on Custom SE Handle
Lab Blue [1]
Proraso Green AS
Good lather from my MdC sample, but I did not find it particularly, slippy, cushioned or protective. No slip for a touch up without re-applying lather. I have weepers everywhere and my face is tingling like a tingling thing. Not even that smooth. You could say I've had better shaves!

I thought the same when I tried MdC? Will have another go before too long but not impressed by what is an expensive soap. That said, it is hard to see what the soap is truly like from a sample?

SOTD 3/9/15

Hot Towel
Wilkinson Sword Blue Bowl Soap
Body Shop Synthetic
Merkur 39C
Astra SS (7)
Cold Towel

AdobePhotoshopExpress_3d02e21cc66243cb82a1098c521411d1.jpg

Today I decided that with my recent run of quality shaves, I would put my luck on the line and pull out what is perceived to be the lowest performing soap I have. I prepared in the usual way and proceeded to shave with a 7 day old Astra. I bowl lathered the soap which is a genuine first for me, in as much as I got a rich and creamy lather from the blue bowl soap. I fully expected a reduced quality shave today, but not. First pass easy, XTG a breeze, ATG not a problem. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

Result? 5/5. Yes, a top marks shave with the cheapest soap I have and a week old blade. All goes to show that quality shaves are to be had with budget software, and experience.

Thursday:

Afternoon, gents.
Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Derby Extra (6)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave soap: E-bay shea butter
Aftershave: Royall Musk
Cologne:

The wilki soap is a very good hand soap, it was on trial with me for a month about 10 years ago and It was a cr**p latherer, say that on the same shelf in the chemist I found the Erasmic dish shaving soap, now that is a soap I always buy again and again, it is that good.

The wilki soap is a very good hand soap, it was on trial with me for a month about 10 years ago and It was a cr**p latherer, say that on the same shelf in the chemist I found the Erasmic dish shaving soap, now that is a soap I always buy again and again, it is that good.
I find it is a very thirsty soap, and the wetter I make the lather (gradually), the better the lather. Well worth another go if you have time to work with it :)

Fri 4th Sept.
Vulfix 404 mixed
Lea Classic Soap
Gem BTMM- flying wing
Gem S/S [ 2 ]
Alum Rub /Rinse off
La Toja A/S

Not used for a while, the Bullet Tip is a mild forgiving razor which for me delivers an irritation free shave which is adequate but not
particularly close. I think this would suit those with a lighter beard.

P2010001.jpg

Hot shower
Arko,stick,microwaved to fit in a bowl,face lathered
Merkur Vision 2000 dialled up to 'brutal' (max)
Feather blade (1)
Kent 'wet is best' synthetic
Tabac AS/DEO/EDT
Had the urge to re-visit the gear that have not been used for a very long time,but with a twist!,I have never been brave enough to take the Vision above half way,as that is aggressive enough,seeing as it weighs as much,and is about ergonomic as a house brick.The last time I used this with a Feather blade,I had turned up to 1/4,and came out of the experience with a raw,weeping,face,so what possessed me to try it this mornings experiment, I don't quite know,well,about 5 days growth sort of had something to do with it!....
How did it go?,O.K. really!,I am sure the blade is sitting on the skin,so I took most of it fairly slowly,made a stupid mistake (I slipped) on the first cut of the first pass,and put a nice little slit,just under my mouth....Idiot,but learnt a lesson or two from the shave,only do straight cuts,and don't try and turn the blade on your face...
The next pass (mainly ATG) went fine,I only had a very minor touch up after that,BBS,no irritation whatsoever,even after AS.
IMO the Vision on this setting is WAY more aggressive than my 2013 R41,it is not even close.TBH none of my collection is anything like this thing.It really is a monster!.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom