SOTD: Saturday 30 March - Friday 5 April 2024.

D8558D19-6E50-4BCC-B88B-3FDD87E3BF29.jpeg

Simpson Chubby 1 SiLVERTiP
Rockwell 6C
Gillette Platinum vintage (1)
Speick stick (tallow)
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
Speick Active a/s

First try with the vintage Gillette Platinum blades, whose provenance I can’t quite recall.I found the blade quite rough and harsh, despite the excellent protective lather of Speick. I will give the blade another chance to see if smooths out.

Witch hazel and the restorative Speick lotion took care of any mild irritation.

Enjoy yours gents.

Artisinal April?

Monday 1st April

AP1GczM6Nq5cYFKnT7zpuHiu4k5QUbV998guS_8i-Ob_SZswjSyAuSyHOxw8ZPh3N-FElzdU3OMFeeMZdAqVrzhYdXZj1tW-HVaX3oAUgn5-RGW3CjrlVZxaijDINmUUXHZALJaPR5TvQ1O2RpsOeWlwdx_4Cg=w800

Wickham 1912 Apricus & Semogue 1250 Pure Bristle
Muhle Rocca w/Souplex Bakelite Handle & StarMaXx SMS-200 Super Stainless (1)
Denim Gold Aftershave

Kicking off a month of shaving with artisinal equipment, which is a bit of a tall order for me given that I own no artisinal brushes or razors and much prefer mass-produced British triple-milled to (so-called) artisinal soaps and so don't actually have a great spread! I say so-called because I don't see what's artisinal generally about soaps now made in a factory, but there are exceptions. Before I get too grumpy, let's press on.

... and so, it rather looks like a month of Wickham given that Darron's soaps are one of the very few that I really get on with. I guess I'll gain a very good insight into whether (according to my mantra for 2024) I love it ... or will be leaving it. I suppose I could also lather up with the very lovely La Savonniere du Moulin, but what would I do for Milky May, eh?

First proper run out with my newly acquired Semogue piggy and from the off it's being well behaved. I do have to bear in mind that Semogues can often be quite greedy for the first concerted month or so; that, and British triple-milled do tend to load heavy giving a really thick and protective lather, so my loading time should be extended with this soap.

Throughout the shave, the new piggy behaved and I had plenty of soap on the brush for my usual two passes and a comfort pass at the end.

First also with a short run through some newly acquired StarMaXx blades. StarWho? EuroMax, then ... since I firmly believe it's the same outfit peddling the self-same blades, even with the self-same catalogue numbers. England? Dubai? India? Who knows where they're made, but best guess will be India while Dubai and Britain are used as addresses for company registration.

Onwards with the Super Stainless offering (SMS-200) which is sharp enough, probably akin to the Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Super (Green) but not at all as smooth from the off. I think it's probably fair to say that Vertice are somehow involved in this venture and it's highly likely that this is the same blade as the Gillette Winner Super Stainless. I might be stretching the connections here, but shaving with this blade very much put me in mind of the Winner. I don't actually recall using the EuroMax Super Stainless, just the Platinum. Tomorrow, it'll be the SMP-100 Platinum (again, same catalogue number as the EuroMax) and then the SMP-900 (or 800) which is the same blade, I reckon, just available in a different format (like 100 or 1000 or something like).

Sound enough shave. Good, not great but certainly not bad.

... anyway today, I've been out in the garden again and built this 'ere bench out of bits that I had leftover from the sleepers procured for my replacement garden steps:

AP1GczPn7LYVGsF6Kg3bDCGBf6z3IxuJFnkQ0xqzKnvUK2CtSwj2ZgwxoJv860immRLA-bHK9YFCTr45mjDseUU4r99nvxjxrEr9d15obxGIAFF2lGMc17xmKvdSi_oIjVZFyutY9k6wB6pWq-HouzVoCELEyg=w600

20240401_200021~2.jpg

My artisinal April Shave today consisted of...
Bowl Captains choice Obsidian Copper.
Prep Aleppo soap.
Brush Highlander LE2023 Boar. (Artisin)
Soap Geo F Trumpers Rose.
Razor Blackland Vector Open Comb. (Possible Artisin)
Blade Kai Titan mild (9)
Aftershave Jean paul gaultier Ultra Male edt.

I completely forgot that we are doing artisinal April and it was not until I spotted @pjgh post above that I remembered but fortunately for me I chose well and qualified today ha ha.
I wanted to see how the OC Vector would perform with just a normal shave with no shower to really soften the hair.
I can report it did another outstanding job, the OC plate really is something else, I even did an amazing head shave with it with not a single cut, it's a lot slower than throwing my Leaf around my head but the end shave is just as good.
I finished up with a quick buff and rub of Argan oil on my head and a few sprays of Ultra Male.
Have an amazing night everyone.

It's a Monday, but not any old Monday, it's Easter Monday, and this new week of SOTD's started this past Saturday and I haven't posted Jack shit. So probably best I throw some kind of garbage together in the name of shave reporting and just to let the world know I haven't grown an Easter beard. I was planning that for this next Christmas.

So here we have my last 2 shaves as idleitis set in last night and gave my face a rest. It needs it, and I could do with a new face at the same time.

Saturday

A shave away (a bit like a give away except there's no such thing as a shive away) at a Village Hotel. So this one arrives pixilated so you can read it and thematically entitled, 'Villages'

20240330_200648.jpg

Vile ages razors - Ikon B1
Villainous blade - Polsilver Super Iridium
Village bike - AP Shaving 24mm Cashmere
Village Green - Signature Valentia
Vile anus cream - Botanics moisturiser
Village People - Van Cleef Rose Rouge
Village Idiot - Moi

Villages. Invented by villagers as somewhere to live. Village Hotels. Invented by someone as a place for folk to sleep when not in their villages.

'G-E-T O-F-F T-H-I-S P-A-G-E'

A smashing shave away during a bit of well due escapism and to save having to make a bed in the morning. But I did end up cleaning the dishes through not paying.

The 24m Cashmere and Signature are soaping Gods. The Ikon B1 has long been a God. And so all in all a God like shave. If the great man himself decided to remove that big white beard then this little bunch would do a wonderful job.

When I first came across this Japanese band I really thought WTF!? And oddly enough I still think the same. Bizarre. It can only be Lady Baby......

Monday

An emergency late entry before Easter disappears and I end up wishing you a Happy Christmas. I give you the theme, 'Easter wishes'

20240401_133054.jpg

Easter bunny - Occams Enoch
Easter egg - Kai Titan mild
Easter bonnet - Highlander LFC
Easter parade - Signature Londinium
Easter Island - Collagen
Easter rabbit - M&S Spiced Amber
My wife's rabbit - this image is unavailable

'When I asked him for a rabbit I wasn't quite expecting a dance routine dressed as one'

An expedient shave before rushing out to Warrington and to stand in the pissing rain watching Marine FC getting beat. Giles. This new brush had better not arrive with a curse this time as life is bad enough after today.

But I do praise the LFC brush for placing us at the top of the Premier League table. Not only that but it did a superlative brushing act with that winner of my soapy heart, Signature's Londinium. The Enoch? As fast as fuck and pretty damn fine to go with it.

Smiles all round, to be later followed by adject misery

What a better way to end this Easter break than yet more Lady Baby. After the cross-dessing Australian wrestler had left them. I presume to be a wrestler. Which he couldn't do much worse than his foray in to the musical world...Happy Easter you shaving people....

Last edited:
My real shave this morning after my silly April Fool post this morning:

Very very very light touch with the Hawk and got a decent shave. Barely any irritation, quite a few weepers.
This is my third shave with the Hawk V2 and the first one hat didn't result in what feels like sunburn and half a dozen weepers. There has been progressively less irritation and fewer weepers with each attempt. So fingers crossed for the next one with this razor (although crossed fingers might affect my ability to control the razor).

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V2
Blade: Feather Professional
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Aqueous Cream
Lather: Grandstaff Coconut
Aftershave: Puig Brummel aftershave lotion

TCgafxx.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Zenith 506 Mare SE Boar
Soap: D.R. Harris Windsor
Razor: Blackland Blackbird SB
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Gentleman's Nod Sir Winston Aftershave Lotion
Scent: D. R. Harris Mayfair EdC

SOTD: 2nd April 2024.

27.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Bulldog Original Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face & head.
Cien PURE Fragrance Free Sensitive Bar Soap.
Brush: Anbbas 24mm Tuxedo synthetic.
Face & Head Lather.
Lather: Phoenix & Beau Citra Royale shaving Soap.
Blade: Gillette Winner Platinum. (D1)
Razor: King C. Gillette.

Cold Water Face & Head Rinse./Cold water face & Head wash with brush squeezing's,/Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse./Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils, 5 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With Care+Witch Hazel/Yelken Turkish Lemon Eau De Cologne./Nivea Men Replenishing PSB.

Greetings,

Early morning shave,

First face & head shave of April 2024...Throughout April I'll carry on using various razors for both my head & face shaves paired together with a diverse variety of DE blades that I've infrequently used.

An acceptable close combined face & head shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Nivea Men Replenishing PSB.

My face & precious swede are feeling smooth & smelling divine.;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

SOTD 02-Apr
1000025185-01.jpeg
Brush: Dogwood DG
Soap: CGC Coaba
Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: GSB

Excellent shave this morning, the 39C mowing down everything with no effort. Along with the first use of the Coaba, the description was right down my street and didn't disappoint. Should have tried to get my hands on the EDP at the same time.

Sadly it's back to work today after a week off, with luck the proverbial hasn't hit the fan too much and I don't have a lot of clean up on my hands.

Hope everyone has a good'un.

Cheers

Marc

Back
Top Bottom