SOTD : Saturday 3rd April to Friday 9th April 2021.

The Easter shave thematically named 'So glad to be single again'

IMG_20210401_221844.jpg

Single edged - Stainless Mongoose
Single minded - Feather Super Professional
7" single - Alpha Wickhams Artic Fox
Single cream - Signature Soaps Londinium
Single malt - Signature Soaps Londinium splash
Single sex - Single handedness

One of you in this room is guilty of a serious crime. Who was it who threw a bottle in to the sea this morning is the question?

That is not a crime

It is a crime against the ecology

But it is not like first degree murder

Yes it is as it was tied to the body of Mrs Singleton

After a week of living with a DE in the R89 I must say that for all the praise I can heap on it, this was a very welcome shave. It went a long way to justifying why I left the silly little thin blades behind and went on my quest for SE Zen.

None of this 'which blade?' palaver. None of this taking forever and annoying the wife sink time. In, out and no mess. A bit like sex and quite the antithesis to the words of the Bloodhound gang. 'Love, the kind you clean up with a mop and bucket'. I don't understand youngsters and why it takes several times longer than the older generation. And this shave was definitely the older generation, nice, quick and satisfying.

End results were exactly what I have come to expect of the Mongoose. Perfection from a chunk of stainless. I must say I am glad to bring the Feathers back in to rotation as I never felt the Prolines were to the same level. At least there isn't much choice in the AC world which has one chasing rainbows to gain great finishes.

Great to be back where wonderful shaves start and finish and may be the odd ocassional toe dipping with a DE now and then in the future. Otherwise one very happy Easter bunny and I wish you all the same Easter happiness.

Strange folk

Fathomless Japanese girls? To be very seasonal I shall leave you with 'The idol formally known as Ladybaby'. And the former Ladybaby? Another day

SOTD 4 Apr

Gillette Slim Adjustable N2 #3
Astra Green #1
Yaqi 24mm Black Marble
Pinnacle Grooming Pepe Le Bleu
Nivea Sensitive
Bleu de Chanel

Got a love/hate relationship with the Astra Green but the number 3 setting on the GSA worked really well. Needed a challenge after nice shaves with my Rockwell 6s. The soap gives a great shave but I’m still unsure whether I like the scent even though it’s a take on my favourite Bleu de Chanel.
Stay safe all and enjoy the rest of weekend.

Sunday AM 2021-04-04
International Geologists Day
5R4UOZR.jpg

Rooney Stubby 2 Porcelain Finest (24/50)
English Leather shaving soap (tallow)
Haircut & Shave P075-SB Mixed Metal Black
Wilkinson Sword 'New' (5)
English Leather aftershave (vintage)
o2dXJ6B.jpg

Sunday 4th April

ACtC-3dZba8drEQU8USIqUHw-Z1krWr1-pt1sDf6HAC7M10bi21GJKg1_JYT_we5zeFZzeBpVfk0OsIAHg9UabBbRPRK_rDBXrm7U8XZY1ji_KpSb_RPHwpdqomvpMrsnVodYmPzKaVTU1ht3qwbkg_jqI_70Q=w1200

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Wickham 1912 Apricus
hjm Professional (Boar)
Yaqi Katana w/Windrose Darwin Handle
Gillette Winner Stainless (2)
4711 Original Eau de Cologne

Happy Easter!

Well, talk about seeing both sides of the blade ... ironically, as I've only actually used one side of this double edge blade in the Yaqi Katana single edge format. Yesterday's shave was met with glee! Nothing but a straight-up, good honest stainless which delivered a smashing shave and while it wasn't quite up there with the Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock PermaSharp (Green), it was good! Tonight, it just felt raw and harsh, more aking to the Russian Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green). Hmmm ... understand that using half of the blade in the single edge format mean this is more like the third to fourth shave on a blade, but nevertheless, it was a Jekyll turned Hyde overnight.

Yesterday, I noted that it is a vocal blade and I quite enjoy that. I mused that perhaps the thin lather made from the Dalit soap was the cause and perhaps a firmer, more cushioned lather might dampen down the chatter ... and what more thick and cushioned than Wichkam's 1912? Same behaviour! Quite a vocal chap.

In summary, I found this blade to be more akin to the less enjoyed stainless offerings from SuperMax. I'll try the other half another time. So, across the platinum and stainless offerings endorsed by India's beloved cricketer, the platinum most certainly was a "winner" while the stainless was more "... also ran". I enjoyed the Winner Platinum more than the Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) and the Winner Stainless somewhat less than the Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock PermaSharp (Green). If we were to put Paul Gascoigne on the platinum with the caption: "Champion", it'd be Eddie the Eagle on the stainless.

Comparisons to these blades have also been made against the Gillette WIlkinson Sword and I found the stainless put me in mind of the Gillette 365, so I've weaved those in as the next three blades to shave with and formally remind myself of their character.

Oh, and kudos if you can tell me the band and title of the album that my gear is sitting up. I know there's not much at all to go on, so I'll give you a clue. It's a side-project from the Ministry of Alchemy < not literally, that's a cryptic clue so ponder on those two words.

Last edited:
Micromatic Monday 5th SOTD
Cream Suezbana Aloe & Lavender
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor GEM Junior
Blade GEM Stainless 3rd (Stropped & was awesomely nice)
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Very good lather from the cream today. Pleasant medium scent, thickly creamy and very slick...just beautiful!
Shave with razor paired with the blade was so smooth yet crisp, comfortable, and efficient. 3passes without issues for a mostly bbs result. The aftershaves were terrific! All in a very enjoyable session!
20210405_091500.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Orbit
Razor/Blade:- Muhle Rocca R94 / Wizamet SI #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Male

Back
Top Bottom